Calming cookies

Loveponies

Visit site
Do they work? Have a spooky reactive pony out hacking and wondered if worth a try. He is already on magnesium which has helped but he still spins and bogs off - thankfully only short distances and shoots sideways at nearly every squirrel/ rabbit/ leaf far too frequently!
Thank you

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I use the Premier Performance ones for loading & hacking. I definitely rate them.
Dave is very reactive & with them will level down quite considerably. I can also say that it's not placebo effect on me as this is also non ridden & that he WOULD NOT load a time in the past, and I had forgotten til after that he hadn't had one.

SEL

Visit site
I'd say it's worth a try if you've got something specific you want to use them for, but I'm not sure about daily use.

I fed a couple to the feral pony before we had to tussle him in for a hoof trim. Farrier said it was the calmest he'd been. I've also used them for my mare who got spooked by a lorry at the exit to my yard and starting refusing to go near the gate. I think they just reduced her anxiety enough for her to start to process what I was asking of her instead of hitting flight mode.

Don't work if there's already high adrenaline. I tried a couple in the bucket of a horse that went loopy - & stayed stressed - after the hunt came through at the weekend. No effect.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
They are full of molasses so I wouldn't even try them on mine as anything with molasses sends him stupid.

I have the same horse on box rest at the moment and his been on liquid valerian which seems to be keeping him quiet.

dorsetladette

Visit site
mine wont eat them :(

My livery gives her spicy pony one before leaving for a competition and then a couple more throughout the day. She says it balances out him enough for him think about what he's doing in the ring.

Bernster

Visit site
Have used them on my fidgety horse and he seemed more settled. Could be placebo but I noticed an improvement as did my OH and he didn’t know I’d given them. My friend also thinks they help her mare who gets a bit anxious at shows.

Durhamchance

Visit site
I truly believe in them. My share horse can be exactly as the OP describes. Jumps at squirrels, pigeons, blue bins- you name it. We decided to try a cookie one day, but didn't give it to him until I was tacking up. They take time to start working. He set of down our drive at a jog, snorting at everything and I joked to my friend that this was the day I die.
20 mins later he suddenly deflated, dropped his nose, stopped jogging and I could almost feel his heart rate slow. I swear the cookie had kicked in.
We've had to problem of giving too much too, I gave him two before a schooling session a few weeks ago because he's not been ridden for a week, I was getting back on after an injury and it was windy. I couldn't get him to react! He was bloody hard work in the school and I took him for a hack on the buckle end while his mate pratted about behind us.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I thought they were most likely a placebo for the rider.
So, I gave one to my pony before the farrier arrived ..... normally my pony would fidget and pull back on his rope etc, but he stood absolutely still the entire time. I have tested it since, sometimes giving a cookie sometimes not, and it honestly makes a difference.

Uliy

Visit site
The first time I used them I thought they did nothing (and my horse spat them out) but I’ve used them throughout box rest and really think they’ve been a massive help!

They’re much easier to use than those calm syringes. Sure, some of it may be placebo, but if it helps me feel more calm and confident handling a horse on box rest then where’s the drawback? My horse also loves them now too (I break them into pieces and feed carrot flavour)

Pippity

Visit site
The only time I used one (got given some free samples) my horse turned into a bouncing, shouting nightmare, when she's normally calm but with strong opinions.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I'm tempted to try them for H for clipping but if they make them more bonkers no way.... I also don't know if he'd eat them he can usually tell when something is laced with something eg won't eat his apple with prascend tablet by hand

SEL

Visit site
I'm tempted to try them for H for clipping but if they make them more bonkers no way.... I also don't know if he'd eat them he can usually tell when something is laced with something eg won't eat his apple with prascend tablet by hand

They have molasses in them so most horses are ok with them - although my thelwell pony won't touch them.

SEL

Visit site

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Yup - they're the ones I use. They sent me a free pack of human calming powder too which I'm saving until a bad day at work when I might have the whole lot in one go ??

Thanks I've just ordered some, hopefully they smell really minty and he won't suss what I'm up to!

Very very intrigued by the human calming powder, I'd be taking it daily ?