calming supplements

BallymenaJUMP

New User
Visit site
I have an 8 year old connemara gelding
and he is extremely excitable and gets a bit stressed out especially when he is jumping.
i am considering using a calming supplement but because ive never used one before and there is so many brands im unsure of what brand to use!
he isnt nervous just very excitable
has anyone got any suggestions or recomendations ?
thankyou!

zoesophie

Visit site
Hi there

There are loads on the market and having tried a few myself its more trial and error with each horse. Might be best to search the word calmers on here and there will be plenty of posts offering different types to try.

Ive found NAF magic works on my chap but I know others have found it to be no good.

Good luck!
grin.gif

hellybelly6

Visit site
I have found Magic and blue chips kalmer worked, but magic was slightly better.

Somebody else I know uses steady up.

Like everything, it all depends on the horse.

eventgirl

Visit site
I can thoroughly recommend global herbs. Their thoroughbred calmer has been like a gift from god for my mare. They do one called super calm for other breeds. The staff are also really helpful in finding you the right product.

spaniel

Visit site
Look for a magnesium based one such as Karma (Blue Chip) or Magnitude (Equine America).

Magnesium helps to regulate the overproduction of adrenaline which is probably whats happening with your connie......nervous excitement as opposed to being spooky and scared.

mandy4727

Visit site
My 3 year old was so bad 1 day she nearly went on Horsemart. Barging in the stable, box walking, standing on you, neighing for no reason. And that was just to bring in and feed!!! She was worse in season so thought it could be that. The very next day went to local feed merchants for some NAF Magic as heard that was good but they had just sold the last tub but recommended MAGNITUDE by Equine America. From day 1 a different horse. In fact a dope on a rope!! And it is one of the cheaper ones. £14.99 for a tub which lasts 6 months and you feed the tinest amount in a little scoop about the size of your thumb nail (bet you looked how big that was didn't you??) every day. She is still a little spooky when it is very windy but no where near as bad as she was infact would say a 60% improvement on her behaviour on windy days. But 99.9% better on all the other days even when in season. She is pleasant to be around. Stands still whilst groomed and feet picked out, is calm, can do stuff with her ie long reining etc. Worked for me anyway but may not work for everyone. I will be sticking to this one especially in winter.

RuthP

Visit site
Another vote for Global Herbs Supercalm. I must have tried them all and this is by far the best. They also sachets of instant calmer that work in 1-2 hours that I syringe to my mare before we jump!! She's a lively beast!

perfectpolly

Visit site
magnitude--cheap as chips and worked just as well as naf magic for my mare, but its just try and see with calmers--i tried a few before i found these--all ways give it a good month to try one out. don't expect it to work straight away--gradual calming in my mares case.