Calmsden BE pic and video

Michen

Visit site
What an awesome day! My friend and I went to Calmsden for the BE90 and BE80 today. As I am an idiot who forgot to enter in time and got in off a waitlist, our times were somewhat far apart so we were in for a long day.

Dressage.... I hate dressage. I struggle to school Basil at home as our arena gets deep in the summer and he does not do well with it so any schooling is done out hacking (and I go through phases of commitment with that!). Our first event at Broadway in May we had a dressage of 39.9, improved this at Ascott a few weeks ago with a 35. Today we managed a 36.3 (I think.. Point something anyway!) which actually I was delighted with as it felt absolutely horrible. But hey ho, we were on the right leg and I didn't forget the test so that's something.

A quick warm up for SJ. He flew round... Video below for anyone interested. Pleased with this as a few weeks before at Ascott under Wychwood his excitement got the better of him and he decided he hadn't seen fillers before to have one down.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JyZLKbhsvnE[/video]
Usage

On to the XC! B was sufficiently badly behaved to get us ticked off when we failed to activate our brakes after the practice jump, but he bounded out the start box confidently and flew over the first few. There were a few more questions in this 80 so it was perfect for him. This is his third XC now and he kept up his immaculate record (bar some time faults at Ascott) with a clear inside the time.

We also had the lovely 'be positive' come and join us which was brilliant. well and truly living up to her name with her wise words! Not to mention some rather fantastic cake which we were very grateful for on the journey home later this evening.

Pic says it all really! Our clear XC and SJ put us in 7th place which is his first eventing rosette so really delighted with him.

I entered the unaffiliated 90 at Aston a few days ago fully prepared to drop down if possible or withdraw. I'm still not sure how I feel about it or what to do. I like the fact the SJ is on a surface, and I am pretty confident that whilst it will scare me a fair bit it will be doable (I do suffer with terrible nerves but at 80 now I feel confident, the usual excitement but not nervous). The XC I am not so sure. It can be quite a struggle to get him to focus XC, on the jumps rather than everything else around him. That's fine at 80 but the height increase at 90 might be pretty scarey if he's not listening to me. I also struggle with brakes at times, he is in a snaffle as he jumps best in one and frankly he is the sort that if he wants to go he will go, whatever is in his mouth so I am trying to keep the bitting simple.

I don't know... He's flown round the three 80's he's done even if there have been a few sticky moments where he's got in deep to have a look. The only thing that really bothered me about the 90 course (walked it as well) was a corner and a few other meaty wide fences purely due to the size. Yet I did feel that I wanted more than what was in the 80 today. Dare I miss that mildly terrified feeling!? So not sure where that leaves us! Perhaps a 90 might make him concentrate a bit more, or perhaps I am expecting cruise control perfection with him when it's unrealistic.

I feel very lucky to have this horse in my stable, he makes everything so fun and I genuinely feel like he is a team mate. We may have the odd disagreement on which direction his head should be or how fast we should be going but he feels like he is "with" me every step of the way and he is still genuine enough to get me out of a sticky spot if I need him to. Much love for the super pony tonight, and every night in fact :)

Last edited:

CAH7

Visit site
Great result and lovely pic. I love Calmsden, such a fun xc :) . Best of luck with the rest of your season.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Lovely photo and he looks very keen on his SJ! I'd walk a 90 course as if you are competing over it, see how you feel and go from there :)

be positive

Visit site
It was lovely to meet you, Jo, Basil and Squirrel not forgetting the delightful Miley, you did so well despite all the negativity before and after the dressage, probably during it as well!! it is great that you are at last having some fun with the super Basil.

I still have no answer as to whether you should do the 90 at Aston that is something only you can decide but if you do go for it try and be positive there is no reason you cannot do well and enjoy yourself, you are more than capable as is Basil who seems to be rather a pro considering how little he has done, onwards and upwards for the rest of the season.

Girlracer

Visit site
Great report - well done!

He looks fantastic. I am in a similar situation to you with regard to stepping up, I feel like we want more than what an 80 can offer jumping wise but not quite ready for a 90. For us it's not the size of the fences it's the fact that there tends to be more technical combinations (corners, skinnys in curving line doubles - that sort of thing!) that realistically my horse isn't balanced

Michen

Visit site
Miley is always the star of the show really!!!

We are going to go for Aston and go off to Tweseldown to XC school some corners plus do some dressage, busy few weeks for B and then we shall rest.

Thank you again for sat! XX

It was lovely to meet you, Jo, Basil and Squirrel not forgetting the delightful Miley, you did so well despite all the negativity before and after the dressage, probably during it as well!! it is great that you are at last having some fun with the super Basil.

I still have no answer as to whether you should do the 90 at Aston that is something only you can decide but if you do go for it try and be positive there is no reason you cannot do well and enjoy yourself, you are more than capable as is Basil who seems to be rather a pro considering how little he has done, onwards and upwards for the rest of the season.

Michen

Visit site
It's the corners, eeeek. We've never done a real corner. Are you doing the 90 at elmwood? Fingers crossed it goes ok for both of us!!

Great report - well done!

He looks fantastic. I am in a similar situation to you with regard to stepping up, I feel like we want more than what an 80 can offer jumping wise but not quite ready for a 90. For us it's not the size of the fences it's the fact that there tends to be more technical combinations (corners, skinnys in curving line doubles - that sort of thing!) that realistically my horse isn't balanced

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Loved the SJ round. So nice to see a rider just going forward in the canter and not fiddling on approach. :)
Good luck for ALW, don't think you will have too many issues ;)
I may well be there riding a horse I have not yet sat on. No idea which class but I'm guessing the 80cm.

Michen

Visit site
Thank you! Frankly I am not experienced or good enough to be fiddling to get the right stride etc etc so I just let Basil get on with it and he usually sorts himself out if we get in any trouble. He didn't used to be this forward SJ so think he is enjoying it!!

Loved the SJ round. So nice to see a rider just going forward in the canter and not fiddling on approach. :)
Good luck for ALW, don't think you will have too many issues ;)
I may well be there riding a horse I have not yet sat on. No idea which class but I'm guessing the 80cm.

be positive

Visit site
It's the corners, eeeek. We've never done a real corner. Are you doing the 90 at elmwood? Fingers crossed it goes ok for both of us!!

Think of corners as an oxer, don't try and get too close to the pointy bit where the easy option is to go past, at the height you are doing ride towards the middle, B has more than enough scope to jump it, start over some small ones that you really can jump the middle of and build up once he has the idea of what is required, they are a test of accuracy but if ridden well usually cause no problem.

monte1

Visit site
well done, what a great report and love the photo!
i can sympathise with you being torn about stepping up to 90, but someone once told me that the horse doesn't really notice the 10cm difference it is us :)

maybe once you have been out schooling you will feel more confident and can decide ?

look forward to hearing the next report

monte1

Visit site
well done, what a great report and love the photo!
i can sympathise with you being torn about stepping up to 90, but someone once told me that the horse doesn't really notice the 10cm difference it is us :)

maybe once you have been out schooling you will feel more confident and can decide ?

look forward to hearing the next report

rosiesowner

Visit site
Wow! I rather like this horse! If he goes missing you know where to find him... :D

You both look brilliant. Loved the vid of the show jumping, looks like he has a fab pop on him. I know the feeling of not knowing whether to move up a level or not. Coincidentally I was the same with whether or not to move up to 90 jumping classes (silly really as my mare has competed up to BE novice standard in the past!). There's nothing wrong with taking some time to think, and I'm sure you'll make the right choice. As it is, from that video I'm sure he'd fly the showjumping! And not to be shady, but as someone who has volunteered at a couple of events, when I was in the show jump arena party I saw some... questionable riding in the BE90! If they could survive it, then so can you! :D

I really do think you look like a brilliant pair and love the happy look on both faces in the xc pic!!

HotToTrot

Visit site
A rosette! Well done! It's a simple answer, but I generally tend to move up when happy at the level below and feels easy!

Michen

Visit site
Thank you! He is rather special. We will go for the 90 and face our fears (my fears, I doubt Basil could care less!)

Wow! I rather like this horse! If he goes missing you know where to find him... :D

You both look brilliant. Loved the vid of the show jumping, looks like he has a fab pop on him. I know the feeling of not knowing whether to move up a level or not. Coincidentally I was the same with whether or not to move up to 90 jumping classes (silly really as my mare has competed up to BE novice standard in the past!). There's nothing wrong with taking some time to think, and I'm sure you'll make the right choice. As it is, from that video I'm sure he'd fly the showjumping! And not to be shady, but as someone who has volunteered at a couple of events, when I was in the show jump arena party I saw some... questionable riding in the BE90! If they could survive it, then so can you! :D

I really do think you look like a brilliant pair and love the happy look on both faces in the xc pic!!