Camera recommendations

Moobli

Visit site
I have posted this here because the main subject of my photography are my dogs. Looking for a decent point/shoot camera for around £250. Any recommendations?

satinbaze

Visit site
I recommend canon cameras as I find them easy to use and get good results. For dogs you need something with a sports or action mode. Rather than a point and shoot have you thought about a second hand digital SLR and a good zoom lens.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
My husband bought me a Nikon 3300 a couple years ago - I take photos of the dogs, do macrophotography and with it I've had a great time making calendars, greeting cards and all sorts. The Nikon and Canon will have similar features though Canon is considered a better camera, it also comes with a heftier price tag in like for like.

Agree with the sports photography mode, as you will need shutter speed. Most of these fancier DSLR cameras these days can operate as a point and shoot just a bit better quality.

Last edited:

neddy man

Visit site
My daughter has a Canon,with various lenses,(some Canon some not due to costs) for her art business, super camera and lenses. On the Gadget show on tv last week they did comparisons of cameras, phones, and computors, new versus 2nd hand at the same purchase price,the camera one was a draw, but you got so much more camera for your money 2nd hand and they are not damaged abused items, well worth a look at 2nd hand. Maybe difficult in the Scottish hills but google camera clubs ,pop along and have a chat ,there maybe something there for sale after every one has had new for Christmas, most clubs are very helpfull and friendly,usually meet a midweek night once a month.

Blackwijet

Visit site
I'm a professional photographer I started off buying my first DSLR by into a good camera shop and try various models, don't just stick to Nikon and Canon, try Lumix, Panasonic, sony etc. you will find that different models have controls in different places and one can feel more comfortable to you than another just due to size of camera, size of your hand etc. I have always used Nikon as for me the layout of buttons and menus works but other people prefer layouts of different brands. Once you have tried a few then search around on the used camera websites. MPB Photographic are very good and cover all types of cameras and lenses, I've bought two bodies from them and I think a couple lenses - never had any issues with any of them. There are plenty of 2nd hand places out there. Maybe go for a bridge camera is this will give you more flexibility than a simple point and shoot but isn't as complicated as full DSLR which can be a bit mind blowing and intimidating if you don't understand how they work.

Mister Ted

Visit site
I have posted this here because the main subject of my photography are my dogs. Looking for a decent point/shoot camera for around £250. Any recommendations?

I have a bridge camera which is fairly new on the scene. Canon Powershot SX 410IS.Its a cross between an SLR and a point/shoot.Its easy to carry in a wideish pocket has a fabulous zoom,superb pictures and so easy to handle.