Camera to film schooling session

scats

Visit site
I'm on the look out for a camera that I can somehow stand in a corner of the school that will film me riding (ideally following my movement, but realise this probably be very expensive).

Currently have to rope a friend into filming on an iPhone.

Has anyone got anything like this?

Dry Rot

Visit site
I'm on the look out for a camera that I can somehow stand in a corner of the school that will film me riding (ideally following my movement, but realise this probably be very expensive).

Currently have to rope a friend into filming on an iPhone.

Has anyone got anything like this?

You might be surprised if you are happy to go with obsolete!

I have professional video rear here which cost about £10,000 per unit years ago which might be worth £250 today IF I was lucky! The pros buy the latest gear and expect to write it off quite quickly, then upgrade again.

Found this on Gumtree for £20....

https://www.gumtree.com/p/camcorders-video-cameras/panasonic-mini-dv-camcorder./1185892251

There seem to be plenty of new dv tapes still available but you'd need someone to check it out to see if it still works. There's nothing wrong with dv. Unfortunately, electronic gear does not improve by being sat in a cupboard, it does need electronics going through it occasionally. If going obsolete, make sure you can still get the tapes and it actually works. The good news is both cameras and tapes are often heavily discounted on the "secondhand" market.

Peggs

Visit site
What about a selfie stick tied to the fence and your mobile? That's my plan when my arenas finished. I'm a forever single equestrian and never have anyone to film or take photos 😔

scats

Visit site
What about a selfie stick tied to the fence and your mobile? That's my plan when my arenas finished. I'm a forever single equestrian and never have anyone to film or take photos ��

I had a look on Amazon and there are some iPhone tripods, wondering whether I could prop one up in the corner of the school on a mounting block.

Thanks for the replies.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
£39.99 for the tripod with free postage :) I like it, might get one when I have the pennies.

Buy the remote and tripod separately, it works out loads cheaper. This company seems to just be good at marketing things that are already on the market with a bigger price tag (because it's aimed at horsey people!)

ETA: Their product does NOT follow you around also. You set up the camera, then when you're ready press the button on the remote and it starts filming. In no way does the camera move at all.

Visit site
There is a camera that does this, can't remember the name but it's £500+ I think the best way is either a go pro (or cheaper alternative) placed around the school in the desired location as then it won't matter if it gets hit. Depends what you want to film and all but unfortunately unless you have a big budget there isn't fancy gear that tracks you.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
As has been said the tripod & tag will not follow you round the school. To get a camera that would automatically track you around the arena & keep you in focus would cost you a fortune, assuming there is one available. Just get a friend to film the lesson for you. You'll hopefully get decent video & at a fraction of the cost.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
You can get a "robot camera man" for about 600 quid. You then need a compatible camera to go with it. There are several people selling them. Pixio and solo shot being two.

McFluff

Visit site
Mibot do a system. I priced it at about £500 last year but didn't go for it as the video only worked outside (I wanted one that could do an indoor school).
I've had success with a go pro, but far end of the arena work is too small to be useful.

Zuzan

Visit site
I have found my Contour Helmet cam has a wide enough angle lens to capture the whole school.. placed in corner on short side and pointed towards B or E on the opposite long side this will capture just about all of the school bar the other corner of the same short side.. Obviously no zoom.. to fix it I use a GorillaPod tripod that has both a the normal screw in type fixing for a camera but also a grip for smart phones.. alternatively you could ask your instructor to wear a helmet cam..

scats

Visit site
Thanks everybody.

I generally only use the school once a week as I do the majority of my work out hacking, but I often ride on my own when no-one else is around so it would be useful if I could rig up some kind of camera. I'm going to have a play around with a tripod/selfie stick for the time being, then perhaps invest in something further down the line.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
You can get a gorilla pod and use your phone. It's a bit of a faff so not great for a lesson but ok if you are just wanting to record certain bits and see how it looks.

Remi'sMum

Visit site
I just prop my phone on the fence of the ménage, then try and do most of the work I want capturing in the middle of the school, where the camera can 'see' most of it, and I'm not too far away.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Google pixio camera, it has a wristband that you wear and the camera follows the wristband, can tilt and zoom as well

My understanding is that it's not a camera, it's a *robot camera man* starting at £600 plus about the same again for a decent compatible camera to work properly with it.

Joeb21

Visit site
I know this is an old thread ..but was wondering if any of you have bought a Soloshot 3 camera from Mibot or Petworth Equestrian without any problems ?

shirl62

Visit site
I use a panasonic videocam with a gorilla tripod ( you can get a copy one from China at a fraction of the price) The battery on the videocam lasts a lot longer than a digital camera. I try to place it where I can get the most coverage, then edit out the parts where the camera does not cover. Works for me ...

Shirl