Camping With Dogs

LittleMonster

Visit site
Want to take R camping next year, but wondered if anyone else took their dogs with them?

Is it too much hassle?
Or manageable?

I have seen i stake type thing that you can use to tie dogs up, her recall is better then most dogs i have seen so i think she'd be ok but i just wanted to see what others did as a precaution.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We have a caravan and take the dogs every time. The first year we took blankets for the floor, they were restless and tried to climb on us all night, now we take their own beds and they are much quieter. We have one of those stake things (like a corkscrew, twists into the ground) and we put that outside and clip the dogs on. Most campsites insist that dogs are on leads however good their recall is.

Generally, the dogs are better behaved when camping than at home, they love it. Every time I so much as open the caravan door they jump in with a "where are we going?" face.

meesha

Visit site
We took out or old BC, he slept in front bit of tent - we never bothered to tie up but tbf we were wild camping so apart from friends no-one else around. Friends took their young malamute which decided to leave the tent in the middle of the night and broke the tent, we found them sleeping by the fire in the morning, v funny !

Spudlet

Visit site
Henry loves camping! We have a tie-out stake and he stays on the lead on the site as he can and will break into tents for food :eek:

We do take his equafleece-type jumper with us, as he is a wimp about being cold at night :rolleyes: - he sleeps in the main part of the tent with us for the same reason. The only downside to that is that he does believe that sparrow fart is the best part of the day, but that's all part of the dog camping experience :D

Katikins

Visit site
We are leaving on Thursday this week to go camping in the Black Forest for a week with our whippet in a 3 man tent (2 people, one whippet). This is the first time she'll have been (as well as myself.. eek) but I have no doubts she'll be fine. I shall report back on our adventures :)

Annette4

Visit site
we have a big enough tent for the dogs to either have the other bedroom or have their fabric crates up :) I use a tie out stake for while we're cooking etc though.

LittleMonster

Visit site
We have one of those stake things (like a corkscrew, twists into the ground) and we put that outside and clip the dogs on. Most campsites insist that dogs are on leads however good their recall is.

Generally, the dogs are better behaved when camping than at home, they love it. Every time I so much as open the caravan door they jump in with a "where are we going?" face.

I really want to take her she is getting on in age and i don't want to think about it but may be her last chance to come with us. and love to take her to the beach!
I think i will have to leave her tied up or i wont be able to stay calm! and that corky screw thing is exactly the thing i was trying to explain :)

We are leaving on Thursday this week to go camping in the Black Forest for a week with our whippet in a 3 man tent (2 people, one whippet). This is the first time she'll have been (as well as myself.. eek) but I have no doubts she'll be fine. I shall report back on our adventures :)

Ohhh good luck! pictures! Luckily we bought a tent last year and its huge! we could give her the little section we used as a wardrobe bit previously or the big front bit!

She will not be sleeping with us! the bed will keep deflating, it does with just me and the boyfriend on it! let alone a mastiff!

AhorseofCourse

New User
Visit site
We take our 2 Yorkies with us all the time, they love it! the only downside to it is other people sometimes take their *unfriendly* dogs and just let them roam, but a good campsite generally nips that in the bud pretty quickly, makes you more inclined to go off exploring when you have the dogs too, fresh country air and exercise, great combination :)

LittleMonster

Visit site
We take our 2 Yorkies with us all the time, they love it! the only downside to it is other people sometimes take their *unfriendly* dogs and just let them roam, but a good campsite generally nips that in the bud pretty quickly, makes you more inclined to go off exploring when you have the dogs too, fresh country air and exercise, great combination :)

It will be the same site as the one last year and the owners of some dogs just dont care... it's sad really but i know R quite well but camping might blow her mind a bit! lol!
There are so many places to go as it's in cornwall all the pubs are dog friendly too!

Spudlet

Visit site
I really want to take her she is getting on in age and i don't want to think about it but may be her last chance to come with us. and love to take her to the beach!
I think i will have to leave her tied up or i wont be able to stay calm! and that corky screw thing is exactly the thing i was trying to explain :)

Ohhh good luck! pictures! Luckily we bought a tent last year and its huge! we could give her the little section we used as a wardrobe bit previously or the big front bit!

She will not be sleeping with us! the bed will keep deflating, it does with just me and the boyfriend on it! let alone a mastiff!

LOL just make sure she can't open the zips, because my little sodbag can! :eek: A mini-carabiner should sort that out though if it turns out she can:)

Oenoke

Visit site
I go away most weekends in the summer to agility or flyball shows with the dogs, I have a caravan, but the 1st year I just had a tent. The dogs love going away camping.

LittleMonster

Visit site
LOL just make sure she can't open the zips, because my little sodbag can! :eek: A mini-carabiner should sort that out though if it turns out she can:)

I didn't even think about that! lol! thank you for the heads up!

This is a really handy thread as I'm hopefully taking my little doggy camping for the first time in the next few weeks :D

Let us know how it went!! (and Good Luck!)

SadKen

Visit site
I've taken mine loads of times, we have a camper van and an awning. They sleep in the awning. It's always fun! I took my now big dog to malham and he and I kipped in a two man tent. He's not a very huggy dog but he was so tired that he let me hug him before we both nodded off. One of my fave memories!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
We go all the time, most notably in October and February for racing (I am nuts), much nicer in the summer!

I don't trust the little corkscrew tie-outs for mine, I use an almost 1m steel stake banged in and plastic coated steel cables to the collar. A tip I've stolen from the agility camping world is to use plastic mesh barrier fencing and electric fencing stakes to make a 'garden' around the tent, stops rogue dogs and children from coming and bothering yours, plus if your dog is reliable is saves the need to be on a lead.

They kip in the main bit of the tent with me, D goes on her bed on the floor but R comes up on the inflatable bed with me to keep me warm, I often wake in the morning being spooned by a big white dog. :eek:

AngieandBen

Visit site
We take the horses and dogs every year camping at Wells, I have a stake too, been coming with me since she was 6 months old and loves it!

Polly sleeps on the luton with me, I find I sleep better with her by me ( all on my billy in lorry ) she's fine being left while we ride on the beach as long as she's had a good walk.

We even take them to the pub, most places are really good and don't mind well behaved dogs :)

One tip, take plenty of old towels, she is always in water :D

mynutmeg

Visit site
When I camped away for obediance with my collie most people had a small fence around their tent/caravan made of that orange mesh netting (arco's sell it) on stakes (electric fence posts would work well) so the dogs were able to be loose but contained - would be a good option if they don't tie up well

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
The corkscrew has been well tested by 9 stone worth of labradors trying to run after a ball that was chucked just out of reach. It held!

We also have a zip undoer - as soon as she smells the bacon cooking at another tent she is out on a mission if you don't watch her!

OP enjoy yourself.

fankino04

Visit site
We took our 2 mals with us last year, wasnt sure they could be trusted in the tent so they slept in the back of the car next to the tent and were happy and content, tbh think they would have slept anywhere after all the extra walking and fresh air.

LittleMonster

Visit site
We go all the time, most notably in October and February for racing (I am nuts), much nicer in the summer!

I don't trust the little corkscrew tie-outs for mine, I use an almost 1m steel stake banged in and plastic coated steel cables to the collar. A tip I've stolen from the agility camping world is to use plastic mesh barrier fencing and electric fencing stakes to make a 'garden' around the tent, stops rogue dogs and children from coming and bothering yours, plus if your dog is reliable is saves the need to be on a lead.

They kip in the main bit of the tent with me, D goes on her bed on the floor but R comes up on the inflatable bed with me to keep me warm, I often wake in the morning being spooned by a big white dog. :eek:

I think your mad!
Could you direct me to where i can buy the 'camping garden' :)
Last year we did use wind barrier things but i don't think they are actually any good at stopping the wind let alone a dog!

One tip, take plenty of old towels, she is always in water :D

Great tip! added it to the list.. she is funny one she normally falls into the water and scrambles out... (its actually quite funny but always miss it with the camera!)

The corkscrew has been well tested by 9 stone worth of labradors trying to run after a ball that was chucked just out of reach. It held!

We also have a zip undoer - as soon as she smells the bacon cooking at another tent she is out on a mission if you don't watch her!

OP enjoy yourself.

Ohhh wow i think that will be able to hold a mastiff then! but she isn't known for pulling or trying to scamper off she is a people dog (she does like to go up to children... to play though!)

We took our 2 mals with us last year, wasnt sure they could be trusted in the tent so they slept in the back of the car next to the tent and were happy and content, tbh think they would have slept anywhere after all the extra walking and fresh air.

I did notice a few people putting there dogs in the car when i have been before but i don't really like the idea of that as she is a bit of a worrier if she can't see you.

Roll on next summer!!! Im excited to take her unfortunately i just don't have a big enough car to take her this year :(
So might have to rent a van or something next year.

mandwhy

Visit site
Aww I want to do this, defo need a bigger tent! My Oh doesn't like the idea of holidays in the UK when going abroad can be so cheap, but taking the doggie might tempt him! And bbq every day!

LittleMonster

Visit site
Aww I want to do this, defo need a bigger tent! My Oh doesn't like the idea of holidays in the UK when going abroad can be so cheap, but taking the doggie might tempt him! And bbq every day!

When we camp it's bacon sarnies in the morning and for tea bacon with some form of side lol!
(thats what tempted me lol!)

Im not a fan of planes right now.. haven't really ever been to be honest and i love the countryside! we camp in a farmer's field and its a five min walk to the beach (no roads!) fingers crossed we get a space this year!

But i need to look into a smallish roomy van to rent if anyone knows a name of a decent van lol!

Gwyntbryn

Visit site
We take our whippet lurcher with us when we caravan and she sleeps in the awning in her crate which has a cover so she is in a tent within a tent if y see what I mean. When not in the awning she is tethered to her corkscrew. Being a spoiled whippet cross she has her own camping chair complete with cushion.

flirtygerty

Visit site
We took on a 12yr old GSD from a rescue, he loved going camping, he was tethered on a steel cable designed for large dogs, he would just watch the world go by, when it was decided to pts, we took him for one last camping trip

Nickijem

Visit site
I love going camping with my two spaniels. They know to stay near the tent but I do have a corkscrew stake and/or a lunge line that they are tied to when necessary. They both sleep on my double air bed with me to keep me warm - you can't beat two hot water spaniels for warmth!
Since my husband died in January I have been camping on my own which I wouldn't have dared to do without the dogs and I shall go a few more times this year because I have my dogs to keep me company. It's strange though because I wouldn't be brave enough to go abroad alone but I am happy in my tent with the dogs!

LittleMonster

Visit site
I love going camping with my two spaniels. They know to stay near the tent but I do have a corkscrew stake and/or a lunge line that they are tied to when necessary. They both sleep on my double air bed with me to keep me warm - you can't beat two hot water spaniels for warmth!
Since my husband died in January I have been camping on my own which I wouldn't have dared to do without the dogs and I shall go a few more times this year because I have my dogs to keep me company. It's strange though because I wouldn't be brave enough to go abroad alone but I am happy in my tent with the dogs!

Im sorry to hear Nicki, but im glad that you still have your little escapes in your tent with dogs :)

I actually can't wait to take her!!!