Camping with the dogs

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Plenty of towels and warm blankets. ours used to get cold at night and loved being wrapped up in her blankets along side us. Otherwise she would be inside the sleeping bag!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I'm so sorry but few things annoy me more when camping. On every campsite I have ever been on, the requirements are that dogs are on leads, irrespective of the dog's behaviour off lead. This is probably a requirement of their PIL insurance. Why do the few 'entitled' feel it doesn't apply to them?

I get totally sick of seeing (and not many) dogs off lead. If you are not prepared to keep the dog on a lead, just don't take it. At some point they may end up not being allowed on campsites (and there are only about half that take them anyway).

Sorry, rant over...

We used to take both our springers in our caravan to a site that we went to because the dogs were allowed off their leads. Never had an issue with other dogs and ours would sit outside the caravan if we went to the shower/shops etc and not move until we got back. Even if people walked passed with dogs they would not move. I really do not get the issue with well behaved dogs being allowed lose. I agree if owners have no control or the dog is aggressive then a lead is essential. Can honestly say our two never went on a lead unless we were in the centre of a town< whole different ball game with the sprocker we now have, she will need a lot more training before she is left off a lead.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Daisy will definitely be under the covers (Where else would she sleep?) ??

I have a Daisy as well. Dogs have always stayed in their own beds until this little sprocker came along and she sleeps on the bed with us. Never thought I would allow a dog on the bed. Must be the name.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Tie out stakes and lines have arrived :)

A while ago I made a towelling and fleece zip up drying bag for one of ours who is always getting wet and muddy. I am going to make one for our other dog too as I suspect these will be handy.

I am also going to make them each a fleece sleeping bag (they are JRTs) to tunnel into.

Our sleeping bags ain't big enough for a teen (or me), plus a dog! They are going to get a shock as they usually sleep under the covers :D

OldNag

Visit site
Well, arrived yesterday afternoon

The ground is like concrete thankfully I had bought hard ground test pegs.

However, cannot get the dog stakes in the grou d even giving it a soak beforehand. Need to find an alternative

bonny

Visit site
Well, arrived yesterday afternoon

The ground is like concrete thankfully I had bought hard ground test pegs.

However, cannot get the dog stakes in the grou d even giving it a soak beforehand. Need to find an alternative
A tree ?

OldNag

Visit site
Can you whack a peg into the ground with some string attached?

I think that might have to be it but worried tgat wouldnt be enough ... all my strong pegs are in use. Going to walk into the local village/small town later, there is a pet shop there so fingers crossed they have something. But meanwhile have put my practical daughter on the case to fi d a suction. Will report back!

OldNag

Visit site
Just reporting back.... clipping the tie out lines to the hard ground pegs has been working a treat.
And the dogs are loving camping.

It is pretty warm here, so to keep them cool we have been taking them to dog friendly beaches (which are all pretty deserted) to sit and watch the sea, ears flapping in the sea breeze. I think they would happily do that all day, every day, if they could. :)

Their highlight I think, has been travelling on the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway (v dog friendly). They loved watching the world go by at snail's pace

Smitty

Visit site
I think I may go next week if I can find somewhere with electric to run a fan heater at night as my 8 yo working bred terrier feels the cold and starts shivering if it drops below 14 degrees at night ? and I'm not much better!!

We went a couple of weeks ago with no elec and the poor sod ended up on me in middle of night freezing cold.

We went during the really hot spell for the night and it was ideal for both of us. During the day I sat on doggy beach near the sea with a parasol for shade. He loved just watching everything that was going on as he does on a campsite.

OldNag

Visit site
I think I may go next week if I can find somewhere with electric to run a fan heater at night as my 8 yo working bred terrier feels the cold and starts shivering if it drops below 14 degrees at night ? and I'm not much better!!

We went a couple of weeks ago with no elec and the poor sod ended up on me in middle of night freezing cold.

We went during the really hot spell for the night and it was ideal for both of us. During the day I sat on doggy beach near the sea with a parasol for shade. He loved just watching everything that was going on as he does on a campsite.

Whereabouts are you wanting to go?

Smitty

Visit site
Ooooh, not far?, prob Devon or W Dorset at a push. When I went in June tripped over a guy rope and damaged my foot which necessitated me leaving my dog with complete strangers whilst I got a taxi to hospital. Had to stay a few extra days as couldn't drive although friends and sister offered to come and get me, it would have been difficult, so bearing this in mind will not venture more than a couple of hours drive away at most!

OldNag

Visit site
Ooooh, not far?, prob Devon or W Dorset at a push. When I went in June tripped over a guy rope and damaged my foot which necessitated me leaving my dog with complete strangers whilst I got a taxi to hospital. Had to stay a few extra days as couldn't drive although friends and sister offered to come and get me, it would have been difficult, so bearing this in mind will not venture more than a couple of hours drive away at most!

Oh crikey that sounds an adventure and a half!

Our JRTs have also loved beach sitting :)

They also suffer from cold, so I made them drying bags and also fleece sleeping bags. We have had warn nights most of this week but forecast colder tonight, so the sleeping bags will be in use!

I didn't get as far as finding dog friendly sites in Dorset/Devon but imagine there should be plenty. Have a great time!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
A dog-friendly hotel :p

I’ve just joined a FB group, Lastminute dog friendly cottages. Very tempting, but my OH is reluctant to take the pups away yet. https://www.facebook.com/groups/LastMinutePetDogFriendlyCottages

Well we’re usually in our camper van, but it’s off the road ☹️ And we just didn’t want a hotel as it’s a bit limiting .

Agree. I can’t wait to try out some of the cottages! I find it really hard to get off the floor, so a proper bed is quite important.

We used to take both our springers in our caravan to a site that we went to because the dogs were allowed off their leads. Never had an issue with other dogs and ours would sit outside the caravan if we went to the shower/shops etc and not move until we got back. Even if people walked passed with dogs they would not move. I really do not get the issue with well behaved dogs being allowed lose. I agree if owners have no control or the dog is aggressive then a lead is essential. Can honestly say our two never went on a lead unless we were in the centre of a town< whole different ball game with the sprocker we now have, she will need a lot more training before she is left off a lead.

It took us months to let the pups off, but by god, their recall is amazing, as is their leave it when we meet new dogs. I’m crediting my OH as he has done virtually all the training with them.

Last edited:

EllieBeast

Visit site
We’re camping with ours up near the beautiful North Yorkshire Moors at the moment ? ready for the first field trial of the season on the glorious 12th

They’re both very good off lead but we have a corkscrew and tie lines on them as a courtesy.
We have some fab moon chairs that double as the dogs beds at night time and we take coats and blankets for the pups too incase they get chilly.
We also have a battery powered fan and cool May for if it gets warmer.

We absolutely love camping with the dogs, they’re a total pleasure to take anywhere. We wandered through Whitby yesterday and stopped in various places for coffee and lunch, we had lots of comments about how well behaved they are ? always nice to hear!

60B113C8-31EB-49FE-BC50-816A18A260B0.jpegD3F974E8-D2B6-44B6-A892-7C120D28E8E5.jpeg

Clodagh

Visit site
We’re camping with ours up near the beautiful North Yorkshire Moors at the moment ? ready for the first field trial of the season on the glorious 12th

They’re both very good off lead but we have a corkscrew and tie lines on them as a courtesy.
We have some fab moon chairs that double as the dogs beds at night time and we take coats and blankets for the pups too incase they get chilly.
We also have a battery powered fan and cool May for if it gets warmer.

We absolutely love camping with the dogs, they’re a total pleasure to take anywhere. We wandered through Whitby yesterday and stopped in various places for coffee and lunch, we had lots of comments about how well behaved they are ? always nice to hear!

View attachment 97386View attachment 97387

Are the Kimberley’s there with their LHP’s?

EllieBeast

Visit site
Are the Kimberley’s there with their LHP’s?

They aren’t at the novice field trial that I’m Red Flagging(although fingers crossed there are hopefully a couple of other GLPs running in it, always lovely to see), there is an open up here on the 12th too though that they may run in?

EllieBeast

Visit site
I got excited thinking you were going to be running! Will madam get out to any trials this year?
? not on this one, she’s never had a chance at a full HPR on grouse, and my husband, who runs her wants her to have experienced that before he trials her on them. Her litter sister was the highest placed dog on the trial today, awarded with a 2nd in tricky scenting conditions which was fab.

He’s going to run her in a couple of trials this season, but it really isn’t the be all and end all for him. He’d never turn down a day out shooting with his dog to run in a field trial. And working full time makes it hard for him to get runs anyway.

She’ll spend her season picking up, standing on peg, rough shooting, wildfowling and deer stalking so will be kept busy enough. Such versatile dogs ? I’m keeping all digits crossed that we’ll have a second one early next year. Any updates of when you could expect yours?

druid

Visit site
? not on this one, she’s never had a chance at a full HPR on grouse, and my husband, who runs her wants her to have experienced that before he trials her on them. Her litter sister was the highest placed dog on the trial today, awarded with a 2nd in tricky scenting conditions which was fab.

He’s going to run her in a couple of trials this season, but it really isn’t the be all and end all for him. He’d never turn down a day out shooting with his dog to run in a field trial. And working full time makes it hard for him to get runs anyway.

She’ll spend her season picking up, standing on peg, rough shooting, wildfowling and deer stalking so will be kept busy enough. Such versatile dogs ? I’m keeping all digits crossed that we’ll have a second one early next year. Any updates of when you could expect yours?

Oh not at all having a go about her not running, just love to see them on grouse! Good result for her sister. Looking like next summer apparently which will be a bit manic as I have a ESS litter planned in Spring that I want to hold back 2 pups from also

EllieBeast

Visit site
Oh not at all having a go about her not running, just love to see them on grouse! Good result for her sister. Looking like next summer apparently which will be a bit manic as I have a ESS litter planned in Spring that I want to hold back 2 pups from also

No I didn’t think you were at all ? we’d spent last weekend grouse pointing so she’s had plenty of fun with them this week ?

That sounds like the best kind of manic to me!! Everyone will just think your GLP is another spaniel anyway ? ? we were in the sporting dog pavilion at the game fair and that’s all we heard- ‘looks like a big spaniel’ - there are much worse things to be compared to ?