Can a 17.1hh fit in a Bateson trailer?

Nickijem

Visit site
Hi, as the title says really! I am now looking for trailer to take my lad to some local shows - I already have a discovery so towing won't be a problem but I am trying to find out which trailer to buy.
I read on here the other day a post about Bateson's trailers and lots of people rated them above the Ifor Williams.
Now I know Jerry will fit in a IW510 but will he fit in a Bateson? They say they are for horses up to 17hh, but will another inch make that much difference!?
Has anyone got a Bateson and a big horsey who can recommend them?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
As you say Bateson say up to 17h for their Deauville & Ascot models. Possibly if you compare the internal heights of the other manyfacturers i.e. Ifors, Rice, Richardson etc & see what they say theirs will carry.....Bateson may be airing on the side of caution saying 17h?
wink.gif

Crazy_Caz

Visit site
Well we have a Bateson Ascot (the biggest they do) and we have a Friesian gelding 16hh but as you are no doubt aware Friesians have a natural very hight head carriage - he fits in no probs.... My horsebox height inside was 7ft 3 and inside the Ascot I believe the headheight is 7ft 3 and the Ifor 510 and 506 are 7ft 4 - so only 1 inch in it..

Nickijem

Visit site
Thanks Toby_Z. The internal height of the Bateson is 2.22m and the IW is 2.30m so the IW is 8cm bigger. I'm just wondering whether that is a crucial 8cm or whether Bateson are airing on the side of caution if you see what I mean!

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
I have put a 17hh Irish Draught in without problems but a 17hh ISH giraffe objected to having to duck in (look mum-my ears dont fit
crazy.gif
)and was better in a lorry with 7'6" headroom. Really depends on his natural head carriage and willingness to cooperate
tongue.gif

Nickijem

Visit site
Ooh - thanks for that Crazy_Caz. The thing is, Jerry is tall rather than big, if you get that but if your 16hh Friesian fits easily, there may be sufficient room. Thanks.

zoesophie

Visit site
Ive got a 17.1 and Im currently saving to get a Ifor 510 after advice from peeps on here. Can I ask out of curiosity, are you set on getting a bateson? If so, why?
grin.gif

Nickijem

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hiya

The new IW 511 are only 2.26m so not much in it..

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?
And IW say they will take a 17.2hh don't they?
In which case a Bateson at 2.22m should take a 17.1hh shouldn't it?
I think I'm going to have to find someone with a Bateson and try Jerry in it!

Crazy_Caz

Visit site
Definately the best way to find out... as i said our friesian is only 16hh but his head carriage is upright.. lol so we needed the head space for him...

Whereabouts are you ? we are in Kent if you are near you could try ours....

Crazy_Caz

Visit site
Dublinbay....

IW and Bateson... I looked at both models and decided on the Bateson 100% better... but you need to view them both yourselves to make your own decision....

IMO IW are over rated... but thats my opinion..... see before you buy....

SilverSkye

Visit site
I have got a cheval liberte 2003xl and travelled my friends full up 17hh in it and there was plenty of room just checked and the internal height for my trailer is 2260mm.
Think like you say the best bet is to give one a try and see.

Nickijem

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ive got a 17.1 and Im currently saving to get a Ifor 510 after advice from peeps on here. Can I ask out of curiosity, are you set on getting a bateson? If so, why?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not necessarily set on having a Bateson. I read a post on here a couple of days ago when someone asked what Bateson trailers were like. Lots of people rated them above Ifor because they were lighter and more airey as well as having much better suspension, therefore making it more pleasant for the horse. And the front ramp is on the left, pavement side, not the right as it is with the Ifor.
It will however come down to price and condition in the end as I'm looking for a second-hand one. I just don't want to rule out any particular type of trailer if I don't have to.
Good luck with your saving - I have been saving for a year but am still going to rely on my OH getting a bonus from work to afford a trailer!

Nickijem

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Whereabouts are you ? we are in Kent if you are near you could try ours....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that - we are in Leics so it would be a bit of a trek - unless I had a trailer that is .....!
smirk.gif
crazy.gif

zoesophie

Visit site
Crazy Caz - Ah ok I see thanks
grin.gif
Now Im not sure what to do
crazy.gif

Nicki68 - Thanks - lets hope we both get what we want
wink.gif
grin.gif
and if your OH does get big bonus, feel free to top up my savings too hehe
tongue.gif

BigBird146

Visit site
FYI the Deaville and Ascot have the same 'stall' and height dimensions, its the built in tack locker gubbins at the front of the Ascot that makes them longer.
Dublins Bay ~ I have recently bought a Bateson and looked at that, the Ifor Williams and the Cheval Liberte.
The suspension on the Bateson was the clincher for me as my horse doesn't travel well and it is independent so smoother (we had an old landy so I know how bouncy it feels travelling on leaf spring suspensions and with only one medium weight horse in they are worse than when fully loaded!). I also like the big window in the front of the Bateson and I have extra side opening windows so it feels very light and airy. Plus I found the IW505 felt quite poky inside but the 510 seemed blooming enormous so the Bateson was spot on in between. It just won hands down for me but I think it obviously depends on what your priorities are and there are certainly a lot mor Ifors around 2nd hand.

zoesophie

Visit site
Hmm interesting points thanks BigBird146 - think Ill have to look at both in the flesh.

Interesting that Weezy fit a 17.2 in ok, my chap may be nearer 17.2 so thats useful to know.
grin.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
I bet you could ask Bateson themselves - they are extremely helpful whenever we've phoned them. They'd probably let you try the horse in one if you live near enough to their factory. Or failing that you could ask one of the Bateson dealers if you could try you horse in one - Im sure theyd allow if it a sale hung in the balance.

We've got the Ascot and its brilliant. Would definately buy another. We travel a very solid (wide) 15.2hh Welsh Cob and a 16hh TB x in it no problem. Id say you probably could fit a 17.1hh in one as long as it was pretty chilled out and didnt generally have a high head carriage.

Nickijem

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I think by the sounds of things, I could include the bateson in my search for a trailer. Jerry is very chilled about travelling (he's very chilled about most things!). I might give bateson a call as I would often have my friend's horse (16hh) with him too so it would need to fit both in.

suzysparkle

Visit site
I have a 510, and there are 2 Bateson Ascots at my yard. The 510 feels a lot bigger I think when stood inside and it looks bigger when parked side by side. My 16.2hh has masses of room in the 510!! I have travelled a 17.2hh in the Ascot - without a partition. It was tight on headroom, particularly when loading. If you had a good loader and traveller it would be fine. If it was one who wasn't a great loader then it might be a problem.

Nickijem

Visit site
Thanks Suzysparkle. I will certainly look at both - I always had in my head that I would like a 510 but some of the views of peeps on here have made me broaden my mind somewhat.