CAN A HORSE BOLT IN TROT?

millreef

Visit site
Do you mean bolt from trot, or bolt whilst in trot and continue trotting? If it's the previous then yes. If they get scared they can turn tail from standstill and bolt. Is that what you mean?

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
A true bolter will get to his fastest pace and stay there until he is stopped for some reason (immovable object) or runs out of energy. So if the horse is a trotter/pacer and his fastest speed is trot, then yes, otherwise no.

*hic*

Visit site
To clarify, if he's not a trotter or a pacer and he won't stop from trot then he's being rude.

*hic*

Visit site
See my reply above, he's being rude. Sit securely, don't shriek and shout, pull on one rein only, and he'll stop.

Cadfael&Coffee

Visit site
Unless the horse is a trotter then you're only run away with in trot, as said before- an actually bolter will jumpto it's fasted pace and keep going.

Being run away with is different lol- ive seen a horse run away at a walk :D :D

RuthnMeg

Visit site
I'd also say, if trotting and you can't stop, then horse is being rude. I always thought bolting was galloping (or pacing, dependant on the horse).
ie, its fastest speed.

Upskyc

Visit site
after all the obligator checks are done, change the bit, its no use being able to stop 9 times out of 10, it must always be a perfect 10/10.

pony nuts

Visit site
Well, he is neither a trotter/pacer (unsure of the difference:confused:) but he has often been reluctant to canter possibly because he has never been eductated. It seems he is running away with me then, in trot, which seems a tad embarrassing:eek::eek:

Scheherezade

Visit site
Doubt it. Someone who tried to ride the horse I am schooling claimed he 'bolted' with her when we saw him take off - in trot, the truth was that she didn't have the experience & knowledge to know how to stop a big, strong horse.

Unfortunately his owner still allows novices to get on - which has now resulted in two people being airlifted to hospital. The horse is strong and has learnt how to take the *P* with these people.

A bolter will run with no sense of their own safety, into a tree, car, ditch, fence.

Does he do it with everyone - have you had a professional experienced rider try him?

Upskyc

Visit site
but he has often been reluctant to canter possibly because he has never been eductated. It seems he is running away with me then, in trot, which seems a tad embarrassing:eek::eek:
ahhh he is evading striking off into canter, yes? bring him back to a working trot and ask again off a bend if in a school usually works well.

My lazy bugger was doing that this morning, 20 minutes work out of his 24 hour day was obviously asking too much :D

kerilli

Visit site
But a greater relief than having a bolter I promise you :):) you just need to work on the brakes!!!

A bolter has a complete lack of brakes OR self preservation :)

yes, this. a true bolt is TERRIFYING, trust me, and it's 0-60. the horse goes as fast as he can, getting the hell out of dodge, as they say...

i've been run off with in trot though, many years ago when i was a skinny hopeless teenager, and it is very very embarrassing, i'll give you that! the horse just wouldn't turn or stop and i felt like a rag doll passenger.
a horse running off with you in trot is just being plain rude, whereas a bolter is, for whatever reason, terrified.

Perissa

Visit site
Pony Nuts - I would say yes they can bolt in trot as I've had it happen to me. But it depends on the definition of bolt.

The pony in question literally took off in a spanking trot (he was ridden and driven) and there was nothing I could do to stop him.

What was dangerous was that this was on the road and he decided that he was going home and quite frankly there wasn't a lot I could do about it. At one point I had his chin almost on my knee but decided it was safer to let him go straight.

He wasn't running in a blind panic which a true bolt is but then I couldn't stop him either.......

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
A trotter isn't the only horse whose preferred gait is trot.
I was once run away with in trot by a 17 hh Clydesdale mare. She was frightened by a group of colts running alongside her in a field by the road. She barged past the much lighter horse in front and only stopped when I pointed her at the wall at the other side of the T-junction, after leaving the youngsters behind. The road was too narrow to turn her safely. She certainly was going like the clappers and not listening to reason.
I bought a PeeWee bit for her and never had a recurrence of the problem.
So yes, it was partly that she need to be reminded of her manners but it was also that she was genuinely frightened and leaving at the pace in which she felt most comfortable.
We also used to have an Appy who would walk away with you - but she WAS just rude!

ETA. The horse in question was normally well-mannered, I have *many* years of experience and was more than used to riding and controlling big horses. So, although I've always described it as 'being runaway with' rather than a true bolt, the answer to OP's question is 'Yes!'.

Last edited:

millreef

Visit site
That IS the final insult - being bolted off with in trot! I'm sorry but that would make me cringe. I've been bolted with, and like the other say, it chills your marrow! They gallop off in a blind frenzy with no thought for yours or their safety.
I really think that if he's bolting with you in trot you should go back to schooling him with a qualified instructor. This isn't meant to be patronising by the way.

pony nuts

Visit site
The horse in question is a gelding I am riding for a friend and have been since the start of the year. I like him, but for the life of me on a hack if for a second I relax while trotting, I can't seem to do anything other than be a passenger. So far he has always stopped at the end of the road or the enterance to the track, and never done it going down hill, thank the lord for that at least. It made me wonder if it is classified as trot bolt or as some have said rude horse?:confused::( I have been hacking out alone recently, and before that got used to him in the arena.
He is 15.1hh of welsh section D x NF x irish draught, so all in all a power house.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The horse in question is a gelding I am riding for a friend and have been since the start of the year. I like him, but for the life of me on a hack if for a second I relax while trotting, I can't seem to do anything other than be a passenger. So far he has always stopped at the end of the road or the enterance to the track, and never done it going down hill, thank the lord for that at least. It made me wonder if it is classified as trot bolt or as some have said rude horse?:confused::( I have been hacking out alone recently, and before that got used to him in the arena.
He is 15.1hh of welsh section D x NF x irish draught, so all in all a power house.
In that case, OP I wouldn't can describe what is happening as 'bolting' I would recommend a change of bit.

*hic*

Visit site
Sounds downright rude to me!

Fit big brakes and school him through "I want you to stop from trot NOW!" enough times and firmly enough that when he feels you start to take hold he thinks "**** she wants me to stop". Then take him out for a hack and practice your brakes before you need them.