Can acid ease cause negative reaction?

J_sarahd

Visit site
pony has been scoped, put on sucralfate and then scoped clear a week ago. Since then he’s been on acid ease as per vet recommendation.

But he seems to have gone backwards. He’s gone back to being difficult to get on and can be difficult to “catch” in his stable with just a bridle.

I just feel at a loss as he had improved so much when on treatment for ulcers. Only thing I can think of is the acid ease as he was on this before the ulcer diagnosis.

Melody Grey

Visit site
pony has been scoped, put on sucralfate and then scoped clear a week ago. Since then he’s been on acid ease as per vet recommendation.

But he seems to have gone backwards. He’s gone back to being difficult to get on and can be difficult to “catch” in his stable with just a bridle.

I just feel at a loss as he had improved so much when on treatment for ulcers. Only thing I can think of is the acid ease as he was on this before the ulcer diagnosis.
Has the sucralfate been stepped down gradually or just stopped?
Are there any ingredients in the acid ease that the horse might be allergic/ reactive to?

J_sarahd

Visit site
Vet told me to just stop. I still have 1/3 of a tub left though. As for ingredients he could be allergic to, I’m not sure. He’s never really shown any sign of being reactive to something before

Bellaboo18

Visit site
You should just be able to stop the sucralfate unlike omeprazole.
Maybe hindgut playing up after the ulcer treatment? Succeed worked miracles for us.

paddy555

Visit site
If removing acid ease doesn't solve the problem I would go back on to sucralfate and see if that improves it. If it does keep on with it and remove it very very slowly. That is what I did and it worked. Sucralfate seems to make a lot of difference for some horses. My vet wanted to stop sucralfate but when I did problems came back. There was a big difference when he went back onto it.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Rather than Acid Ease, when you get hi stabilised, you might find Aloe Vera juice useful to control the stomach acid

Someones mentioned this before so I’ll definitely try it. Are there any specific brands that are better than others? I’ve noticed there’s a lot of aloe juice on the market!

J_sarahd

Visit site
It definitely didn’t help mine. I wouldn’t say it caused an adverse reaction but as lovely as it smells I didn’t buy again!

this is interesting because I was told acid ease was this incredible product that would make him so much better (not by my vet, by someone at my old yard)!

Louby

Visit site
It sent my mare loopy, as in dangerous, stopped it and 48hrs later she was back to normal. I do appreciate it works wonders for some, sadly not mine

Clueless!!

New User
Visit site
This is interesting I started my boy back on this 3 days ago and today was like a dragon, actually came on to see if this had happened to anyone else, did yours seem better after you stopped it?