Can any horse get to medium?

Broodle

Visit site
This might be a stupid question, but can any (correctly trained) horse do a decent test at medium BD level?

I ask because my big ambition for my next horse is to get to the stage where we can go out and not disgrace ourselves at medium. But I also want said horse to be temperamentally suited to happy hacking and a bit of low level eventing. So, a dressage-bred horse is out :p

I plan to look for a nice Irish/connie type with decent paces, but will I be making an uphill battle for myself on the dressage front? I am no great shakes as a rider, although did manage (with good instruction) to get my last horse (unregistered breeding, but probably half warmblood) from backed and hacking to starting out at elementary, before a freak field injury put paid to my plans. But, she had really lovely paces, and was 'flashier' and sharper than anything I'm likely to buy these days, now that I have young kids. I always felt that we gained a point on each movement just for her 'flashiness'.

If not just any horse can get there (with an amateur rider like me), then what attributes/types should I be looking for? Any helpful advice gratefully received!

I do realise that medium isn't a great lofty height for many of you, but for me it seems like a big deal :)

PS Sadly not in the market till next year, so this is definitely not a wanted ad!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Well, I have a very non-flashy highland who is schooling medium (he has all the moves, just lacking some of the engagement/suppleness), competing elementary. OK, so his scores aren't fab even at elementary (all 60-63% aff) but we've only being doing it a few months :p I have every intention of competing him at medium and beyond, aiming for around 65% (I'm told he's capable, but time will tell).

It depends how competitive you want to be, I think...

ihatework

Visit site
I think any good temprement, well conformed horse has the potential to get to medium.

Don't underestimate how much work/training that is for the average rider though, especially to get reasonable marks.

Go for a horse that has 3 correct paces (doesn't need to be flashy), is forward thinking and enjoys working. Nothing croup high, a good engine and a well set head & neck

The rest is up to the jockey!

longdog

Visit site
Yes, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do a decent test at Medium with a nice, but "average" horse. If they are obedient, soft & supple, through into your hand & you are an accurate rider, you should be able to have some fun along with some reasonable scores. Good luck :)

Broodle

Visit site
Well, I have a very non-flashy highland who is schooling medium (he has all the moves, just lacking some of the engagement/suppleness), competing elementary. OK, so his scores aren't fab even at elementary (all 60-63% aff) but we've only being doing it a few months :p I have every intention of competing him at medium and beyond, aiming for around 65% (I'm told he's capable, but time will tell).

It depends how competitive you want to be, I think...

That's encouraging, thanks! In the abstract, I would say that I'm not worried about being competitive... but in reality I think that my competitive streak may out :-/

I think any good temprement, well conformed horse has the potential to get to medium.

Don't underestimate how much work/training that is for the average rider though, especially to get reasonable marks.

Go for a horse that has 3 correct paces (doesn't need to be flashy), is forward thinking and enjoys working. Nothing croup high, a good engine and a well set head & neck

The rest is up to the jockey!

Thanks for this. I am worried that I'm not being realistic... with my last horse I worked blimmin hard to get where we were, and I simply don't have the time to do so much these days. And one small child and another on the way is certainly not helping me get any fitter or more toned! But, I can't afford to buy a horse already working at medium (and probably couldn't ride one side of it to start with either). Hmmm.

Broodle

Visit site
Thanks :) Maybe we'd never get there, but I do like to have a goal to motivate me.

ETS: That reply was supposed to quote Longdog's

ihatework

Visit site
Well it depends on what you call competitive/respectable.

I have been riding many years, I'm perfectly capable but not really a natural rider. I've competed a fair bit affiliated prelim & novice and done a little bit of eventing too.

18 months ago I took on a horse established at medium. It's been an interesting learning curve, I've needed to pull apart my riding and really start to relearn/understand things I thought I already knew!!
It's come at a considerable training cost, but worth every penny. I'm nowhere near where I want to be either!

ETA - riding medium tests are so much fun, even if you don't quite get them right all the time!

Broodle

Visit site
Well it depends on what you call competitive/respectable.

I have been riding many years, I'm perfectly capable but not really a natural rider. I've competed a fair bit affiliated prelim & novice and done a little bit of eventing too.

18 months ago I took on a horse established at medium. It's been an interesting learning curve, I've needed to pull apart my riding and really start to relearn/understand things I thought I already knew!!
It's come at a considerable training cost, but worth every penny. I'm nowhere near where I want to be either!

ETA - riding medium tests are so much fun, even if you don't quite get them right all the time!

Lucky you - sounds like you've found a super horse! I have been riding most of my life, but never at any great level. I would never have considered dressage as a fun thing to do if it wasn't for the fact that my last horse was a naturally good mover. I'll admit, it was nice to do something where we not only consistently and measurably improved at home, but where we had a good chance of coming home with a rosette! I'm not sure if I could be quite so motivated if I was always making up the numbers... But I know I would still enjoy the work at home, so maybe that will be enough.

ihatework

Visit site
Well if it helps motivate you, The classes at medium are generally small so there is a high chance of a rosette lol!

oldie48

Visit site
I'm no expert but surely it's the training rather than the natural ability of the horse that will get it to medium. Yes, some horses with conformational issues will find elements of the training more difficult but surely not impossible? Half pass, shoulder in, simple changes should all be possible, some collection is surely possible with any horse. You might not be "competitive" but the fun of getting there and the joy of riding a nicely schooled horse is lovely even if you are not going to be a winner. In some respects, training a horse with big forward paces can be more challenging than training a horse with average paces. Generally, I think it's the limitations of the rider that prevent horses moving forward not the ability of the horse and yes, I'm talking about myself here!!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Generally, I think it's the limitations of the rider that prevent horses moving forward not the ability of the horse and yes, I'm talking about myself here!!
I'll second this, including the personal perspective!

I have a heavyweight maxicob, and if we get can get our act together, Medium is the aim. He is blessed with fabulous paces and a good brain, and we fall short, it will not be his fault ;) .

(I previously got another HW cob to Medium. It can be done.).

trendybraincell

Visit site
Of course it's possible!!
I have a welsh cob, he's my first horse and my first attempt at doing dressage. We stepped out last year and tried our first Mediums. He has a poor walk and a difficult canter but if I really put my mind to really riding, then we're capable of 65% plus at Medium :) The big bonus is how trainable he is, his temperament is fantastic and the key in tests is to squeeze as many marks out by being accurate.

star

Visit site
Definitely. I've trained three horses to Medium now. All in my signature. First was a seriously heavyweight Welsh Cob. He lacked suppleness but he was so trainable and tried so hard. Then the next one was a much lighter weight Welsh Cob. Sadly never competed above Novice due to an inherent fear of white boards but was easily running through Medium tests at home and was learning changes. Sadly suffered career ending injury aged 8. Current horse came to me crooked as a banana and rather giraffe like in his outline. Getting over 60% at prelim was a challenge. That was 4yrs ago. He missed most of 2012/2013 due to injury. This year he was BD Prelim Regional Champion on 72.44% in February. He scored 72.5% at BD Elementary last month and he's very nearly ready for Medium. If only I could sit to the trot we'd be there! He's no natural dressage horse - half TB, half Welsh. Has taken hell of a lot of hard work but he's another one with a great, try hard attitude. Would say getting a horse who will try hard is one of the most important things. Can have all the talent in the world but you get nowhere without the right attitude.

Broodle

Visit site
I'm no expert but surely it's the training rather than the natural ability of the horse that will get it to medium. Yes, some horses with conformational issues will find elements of the training more difficult but surely not impossible? Half pass, shoulder in, simple changes should all be possible, some collection is surely possible with any horse. You might not be "competitive" but the fun of getting there and the joy of riding a nicely schooled horse is lovely even if you are not going to be a winner. In some respects, training a horse with big forward paces can be more challenging than training a horse with average paces. Generally, I think it's the limitations of the rider that prevent horses moving forward not the ability of the horse and yes, I'm talking about myself here!!

I'll second this, including the personal perspective!

I have a heavyweight maxicob, and if we get can get our act together, Medium is the aim. He is blessed with fabulous paces and a good brain, and we fall short, it will not be his fault ;) .

(I previously got another HW cob to Medium. It can be done.).

Having had a few months out of the game, I'm slightly concerned that my ideas of my ability and the reality of it do not in fact match up very well... :D Oh well, I'll give it a bash!

Great to hear that others are getting where I want to be :)

Broodle

Visit site
Of course it's possible!!
I have a welsh cob, he's my first horse and my first attempt at doing dressage. We stepped out last year and tried our first Mediums. He has a poor walk and a difficult canter but if I really put my mind to really riding, then we're capable of 65% plus at Medium :) The big bonus is how trainable he is, his temperament is fantastic and the key in tests is to squeeze as many marks out by being accurate.

Definitely. I've trained three horses to Medium now. All in my signature. First was a seriously heavyweight Welsh Cob. He lacked suppleness but he was so trainable and tried so hard. Then the next one was a much lighter weight Welsh Cob. Sadly never competed above Novice due to an inherent fear of white boards but was easily running through Medium tests at home and was learning changes. Sadly suffered career ending injury aged 8. Current horse came to me crooked as a banana and rather giraffe like in his outline. Getting over 60% at prelim was a challenge. That was 4yrs ago. He missed most of 2012/2013 due to injury. This year he was BD Prelim Regional Champion on 72.44% in February. He scored 72.5% at BD Elementary last month and he's very nearly ready for Medium. If only I could sit to the trot we'd be there! He's no natural dressage horse - half TB, half Welsh. Has taken hell of a lot of hard work but he's another one with a great, try hard attitude. Would say getting a horse who will try hard is one of the most important things. Can have all the talent in the world but you get nowhere without the right attitude.

Sounds like I need to buy a welsh cob / welsh part bred! Thanks very much all for your experiences - I'm feeling inspired :)

KWPN_V_2002

Visit site
I know many a person on the dressage scene up my way with Welsh Section D's competing at Elementary / Medium and doing very well indeed.

I agree with everyone else on this thread. Any horse with the correct training and attitude shoudl be able to perform a decent test at Medium level. Like another poster on here said, our horses are generally held back by our own limitations (physical and mental!).

I also aim to one day compete at Medium. I need some motiviation to get out and actually start competing at dressage. Having done a couple of BEs this year and not disgraced ourselves in the dressage phase I've decided that it's not quite so terrifying after all so winter leagues are my aim this year. If the winter leagues go well at Novice level, I plan to move to Elementary next year. My instructor is working me and my horse at Elementary / Medium level. My horse is a flashy, sharp type and has lovely paces so I've no excuse really but last year we couldn't canter round the school without ending up in a wall of death and now we've started some half pass in canter and simple changes.

Good luck!

_GG_

Visit site
Not read the other replies but I would have to say, if sound, absolutely. There are conformational issues that can mean the need to rejig the training to suit and these issues can prevent a horse from going all the way up to GP without over stressing the horse in a physiological sense, but it is training and understanding the horse you are on that makes a horse able to compete, not just the bloodlines.

Pigeon

Visit site
I hope so at least. ;)

I'm hoping to get to medium with my ex racer Pip (even if we are never competitive) and he was very much a bargain basement find. The reason we started dressage originally is because he's so dire at everything else! He can go through the motions of an elementary test, and that's without lessons or a particularly capable rider!! ;)

Now I am an expert at poncing on a serious budget ;) So I would say there are plenty of options for you, and no reason why you shouldn't be competitive at medium.

One option could be a horse in his late teens, taking a step down from competing at a higher level. Now an older horse will need more maintenance, but to show you the ropes, the experience could be priceless, and I find that once you have a feel for things, it is easy to apply them to other horses and bring them up to scratch :)

The other, dare I say it, could be an ex racer. I guess it depends on your budget, and whether you're talking hundreds or thousands. In my experience, they're not the simplest of rides (!!!!) but once you have them onside it all becomes easy. They have fantastic natural balance. My horse's paces are also unrecognisable from when I bought him, and loose he just flops along, so don't worry if they don't show a beautiful flouncy trot naturally.

Lastly, what about buying something either unspoilt or unbroken, and using the remainder of your budget for professional training for both you and the horse?

Read a lot of books, watch a lot of videos, and don't discount a diamond in the rough!! ;) I also agree, it's all about a willing attitude. Oh and never giving up, even if your schooling sessions sometimes feel like taking your life in your hands, and you get booted out of arenas by angry judges ;)

jessjc

Chaddleworth, Berkshire (Wantage/Newbury)
Visit site
My lovely coloured irish sports horse is hard work when it comes to flatwork. he constantly blocks, and even though he goes nicely enough at Novice and would probably do elementary after some work, my instructor said that it would take "a serious amount of riding" to get him above that. Not sure it's worth it if you have a horse who's not helping you out. My other one (flashy warmblood type) would fly through the levels. If you're thinking about moving up, then I'm sure it'll be fine - good luck!

CAH7

Visit site
I have a coloured 7 yr old Irish
Bog Pony, who moves well but is no warmblood ;), and finally, after 2 years of hard work, especially on developing our canter, we are finally achieving 63%+ at elem. We have found a great trainer, and my horse is such a trier, that I believe it's possible to get to medium. Whether we can be competitive remains to be seen, but I'm really enjoying the journey! Best of luck :).

Broodle

Visit site
Just spotted the new replies to my thread - thanks so much to all of you for taking the time to recount your experiences :)

RobinHood

Visit site
Yes absolutely. I ride a NF pony at Medium and he's 13.2 at the front and 14.2 at the back, both front legs come out of the same hole and he has a strong underneck that he uses to his advantage when he doesn't want to halt ;-P He was a rescue with a body score of 1 as a foal so his faults can be forgiven.

What is great about him is that he absolutely loves learning things and he'd happily go in the school every time he's ridden, not that I'd do that. We've been lucky to have input from some really great trainers and he thrives on the work. Interestingly you can put a tiny child on him and he goes into zombie mode, seemingly he relishes the opportunity to walk really slowly not on the bit, but he's naughty with bigger children. I'm realistic that he's unlikely ever to win because his paces are worse than ordinary, but he generally scores 62-65% at aff medium and has quite a fan club.