can any one help !

dizzydoo

Visit site
my pony is worrying me ,I haven't got lush grass but ok for a good doer, ok bought him in after a day out (stabled at night) just thought I would check his digital pulse to my horror I felt pulse so I went on to lami alert only few hrs out (tried muzzel it rubbed bad) soaked hay, lots of exercise ok fast forward week or so and weather turned really warm was doing the same routine thinking its all good I check his pulse ****** I can feel it again so I put him out in the sun in the sandschool (the Nxt day )for a while and blow me I can feel pulse again.. does anyone know whether the heat would make the pulse feel more pronounced he is a 14.1 cob 7yrs really hard to keep his weight off but ok atm its sad as I really can't feed him hardy anything 1section soaked in trickle hay net, good doer hi-fi and vitamins thanks

Tickles

Visit site
Sounds like you're making a lot of changes quite suddenly out of concern here?

Has he seen vet recently? Worth a call to put mind at rest/get some advice?

dizzydoo

Visit site
sorry lami alert for me is shorter time out in field lol the only changes I made was shorter time out always fed soaked hay etc and have increased exercise , I haven't called vet coz no other normal lami signs like hot feet , footie , etc normal in his self hacking , alert in the stable , keen to go out , just wondered if anyone else came across there horses pulse raised when its hot out

Spring Feather

Visit site
Is the DP pounding? How much stronger can you feel it from its normal strength? There is a theory that in hot weather the pulse can be felt more easily as more blood is pumped to the feet in an effort to cool them when temperatures are extreme from what the animal is used to. If the pulse is pounding however then it is usually as a result of trauma or laminitis. Have you taken the horses temperature? Is it normal?

Clippy

Visit site
Are you saying the pulse is hammering away abnormally or can you just feel it because his heart is still beating?

I'd be worried if it was pounding, but even more worried if you couldn't feel anything!

Orchardbeck

Visit site
I've been checking my mares' pulses morning and night and have been finding them a bit stronger in the evening when the weather has been hot; but faint in the morning. She is out overnight with a muzzle on in better grass, but during the day was in a bareish paddock without a muzzle - or if really hot, inside with hay.

I don't know if this is coincidental with the weather and is just normal for her though. There is definitely a pattern of some sort!

dizzydoo

Visit site
thanks for replies!! I would say I can feel a beat but it is stronger than normal thought you shouldnt beable to feel hardly anything but I can after he is hot ,I have never really felt a horses pulse that is pounding with lami! so I'm not sure how that feels so I have taken all steps for lami but can still feel the pulse so I was thinking I shouldn't worry as much?