Can anyone afford to keep a horse anymore?

Widgeon

Visit site
I feel a bit guilty for saying this, but so far actually the horse is the only place I *haven't* yet seen huge cost increases - he's on 24/7 turnout (more or less year round, we all prefer not to stable unless absolutely necessary for the ground in the depths of winter) at a lovely assisted DIY yard. Livery bills haven't gone up yet, and nor has the farrier, although I am expecting both to increase at some point (fertilizer costs were horrible earlier this year, our YO surely can't just absorb that). Feed is more expensive but we don't feed much and buy most things straight from the farmer, so prices are fairly low anyway. If things do get dire I will bring him home to our village and turn him out with a neighbour's horses - they have previously offered me grazing so I think that would be doable.

The thing I am being really careful about is our outings - I've stopped taking him up onto the moors so much because the cost of the diesel to tow him up and down to get there is huge. I'm trying to do more flatter journeys and persuade people to come to me sometimes!

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
I don’t want to make anyone feel bad but it’s only really going to affect people on a tight budget. Majority of people in the equestrian world have money. My yard is full of people who have money and think a horse under 10 thousand is to cheap. This is why horse prices aren’t dropping because there is still plenty of people who can afford it. To be honest it will be a struggle for me personally as I am on a full livery yard so it costs a lot . Unfortunately there is only one Dly yard and it’s very toxic yard I was on it previously and the drama and crazy story’s on how the yard got unwanted livery out . it was like being on Eastenders.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I don’t want to make anyone feel bad but it’s only really going to affect people on a tight budget. Majority of people in the equestrian world have money. My yard is full of people who have money and think a horse under 10 thousand is to cheap. This is why horse prices aren’t dropping because there is still plenty of people who can afford it. To be honest it will be a struggle for me personally as I am on a full livery yard so it costs a lot . Unfortunately there is only one Dly yard and it’s very toxic yard I was on it previously and the drama and crazy story’s on how the yard got unwanted livery out . it was like being on Eastenders.
Very true, i very much live within my means and if it became that I couldn’t then I would eat beans ??

snowcloud

Visit site
I’m seeing horses advertised for high prices but they aren’t selling. I viewed a couple at a dealers yard on Monday and they said that the market had gone quiet. She had two sought after types in the £12-£15k bracket that would have sold within days a few weeks ago.. but still advertised 2 weeks later. I think it’s an early sign of things to come as everyone becomes more cautious due to the current economic outlook - that isn’t just limited to the equestrian sector.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I had to go into a shop called Equiport in Cheshire recently. There no shortage of money among to top echelon of Cheshire horse owners if that shop was anything to go by. I was scared to touch anything!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I need to buy another horse but I am not and I don’t think Fatty will be with us much longer that will cover for increase in costs for the others .

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I am very fortunate that I have mine at home. They all live out 24/7 and I take my own hay. My main costs are the usual, farrier, teeth, vet at least once a year and supplements for my horse, but very little hard feed, just enough to get what is essential into her. All those usual costs have increased this year though and probably will rise again as we hit the huge recession that is undoubtedly on its way. But for now I am managing.

Vets fees worry me as the mare and at least one donkey are pretty long in the tooth now, so it is inevitable that we could well be seeing more of the vet in the near future. That is my main reason for probably not getting another riding horse if I am ever actually fit to ride again. Fortunately I do enjoy just being around them as much as riding so while I still have them I am happy enough.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We keep ours at home and finished paying the mortgage several years ago, so are in a fairly fortunate position despite living on our pensions. We also didn't replace 2 horses when we had them pts before Covid struck.

Ratface

Visit site
I'm on a tight budget, and because of having ME, I can't supplement it by working.
Kevin Kat and Old Horse have the best care that money can buy, and always will have, whilst I'm alive.
Kevin's dry and wet food, wood chip litter, flea and worm meds came to nearly £50 last week. PaH, so not a feed store which seem to have less choice.
I'm cutting down on my food, other than fruit, tea, bread and cheese. I don't spend more than £10 a week. Petrol is £15 every 2-3 weeks.
If OH needs veterinary treatment other than annual vaccinations, dentist and farrier, he will be pts.
Kevin is insured to the hilt. Again, given his age and previous scummy existence, I would (13) it would depend on the illness, and prognosis.

palo1

Visit site
For us, it is not horse keeping costs that are a worry - I am keeping my 2 on £14 per month at the moment! No shoes, no hard feed and we have our own land. They could go through winter like that too as we have our own forage made but a big vets bill would be a worry. :( The general cost of living is what is really bothering us; we have 2 teenage children who need expensive college transport, insurance to drive etc. If I didn't have the horses at home and able to cost just pennies I would definitely find it hard on my salary (part time). My dog's food seems to cost an arm and leg now too :( But living fairly remotely the main issue for me is the cost of diesel and that is just for a small, economical car; I haven't trailered anywhere for ages as can't really afford to compete.

maya2008

Visit site
We will lose one, possibly two at the end of summer. I don’t think I would replace them. Not so much cost of living, but it’s been a poor summer and we will have no standing hay for the winter.

Other bills… let’s say I am glad we are on oil central heating and can buy in one go, so not have to worry about price rises through the winter.

Ali27

Visit site
We are lucky as mortgage paid off and we own 5 acres with stables☺️ I’ve got a ridden 14.2, a companion pony and just bought a 2 year old. My two were out 24/7 most of the Winter as so much grass so hoping that all three can be out as much as possible! My farrier has put his prices up slightly and noticed that feed prices have increased slightly. I’m still having weekly lessons but won’t be competing much but due to my 20 year old needing to slow down with jumping rather than cost. I’m in a lucky position with no livery costs but I think some people are really going to start struggling with costs.

TwyfordM

Visit site
I had to cost up price to keep new horse that ill hopefully have next year (sponsorship in the works) so had to send sponsors full costs I expect over the year for keep/vets etc and I nearly died when I realised how much it is now. I think with current mare I’ve got to the point where I don’t add up … so it came as a bit of a shock ?? that’s a horse on DIY with me doing the “work/training/producing” for free essentially too.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Im literally £108 diy livery, £95 every 5 weeks for farrier, £45 a month for hay in winter, £100 every two months for feeding in winter. Dentist £40 once a year and then all the surprise visits from the vet lol, two years nothing. This year £500 ? and then the rest of my spare wage is frittered on stuff for bb ?

scats

Visit site
Im not noticing a massive difference, to be honest. Farrier and dentist has gone up and feed and hay, but they don’t get fed much as our grass is so good, so I’m barely noticing that.
I only have the two horses though and I’m in the nice position of having a successful business (though I work every hour you can imagine to make it that way!) so I consider myself pretty fortunate.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
We have radically reduced our outgoings by moving from a big old farmhouse with outbuildings and land to a brand new estate house which is someone else's responsibility to repair under a long guarantee and will cost a fraction to heat. The difference is more than enough to pay full livery fees in a fabulous livery yard with facilities to die for, with headroom for the expected rises in fees. But I have reduced to one horse and will be stuffed if he doesn't stay sound.

Like GS, the potential cost of vets fees is a key factor in what made me scale down from 4 to 3 to 2 and now 1. The older two cats won't be replaced when they go either, for the same reason.

suestowford

Visit site
Other bills… let’s say I am glad we are on oil central heating and can buy in one go, so not have to worry about price rises through the winter.
Earlier this year, when the price of oil shot up so much, we were panicking slightly that we'd be facing unsustainable rises in the price, due to there being no cap on the price of oil as there was on gas.
The increase in the cap on gas/electric makes me realise that the high price of oil is not so bad after all. It's a good point about being better able to budget, when you can fill the tank and pray it lasts until March.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
We have my daughters pony on full livery, we'd do part livery but that's all they offer at this yard and it's pretty convenient with few other options locally so we are just sucking up the cost and paying it. I'd love my own too but no way we can afford 2 on full livery...we are buying a house with a small paddock so our plan is to do livery and then summer so have him at home. 2 horses just aren't an option for us now sadly...such a shame but that's the world we are in!

Sheep

Visit site
We are definitely feeling the increase in costs - our horse is on box rest while he recuperates from surgery… and with timber shortages, shavings are £9 a bale. We aren’t on a particularly tight budget but it’s definitely noticeable when your bedding bill is hitting £40 a week
Our supplier (used to buy by the pallet) has quit because he couldn’t sustain it any longer.

JBM

Visit site
Seen a horse up today for loan or sale cuz can’t afford the horse anymore
Companion horse

marmalade76

Visit site
I've gone from two to one and found someone to share the yard with me instead (although current horse would happily live alone, he's antisocial and rather jealous with other horses!) He's a good doer, went through last winter just on ad lib hay (which the husband makes) and a couple if handfuls of hard feed with a couple of supplements. As others have said, I'm more bothered by the cost of everything else, virtually impossible to keep a little trolley under £100 now and with two teenage gannets, the cupboards & fridge are soon emptied!

maggiestar

Visit site
I'm on a tight budget, and because of having ME, I can't supplement it by working.
Kevin Kat and Old Horse have the best care that money can buy, and always will have, whilst I'm alive.
Kevin's dry and wet food, wood chip litter, flea and worm meds came to nearly £50 last week. PaH, so not a feed store which seem to have less choice.
I'm cutting down on my food, other than fruit, tea, bread and cheese. I don't spend more than £10 a week. Petrol is £15 every 2-3 weeks.
If OH needs veterinary treatment other than annual vaccinations, dentist and farrier, he will be pts.
Kevin is insured to the hilt. Again, given his age and previous scummy existence, I would (13) it would depend on the illness, and prognosis.
Ratface, when you say you're cutting down on food I hope you're getting more than fruit and bread! Sorry if I misunderstood the post but there's no need to go hungry. Please look into food banks if necessary. If I've misunderstood just tell me to shut up :)
Some others have mentioned that not everyone is struggling and I agree with that. I hope that spending will trickle down somehow. I'm not riding at the moment but several friends from my riding school cohort are having to cut back on private lessons in between group lessons.

Denali

Visit site
I very stupidly bought my horse when money would be tight. Thankfully got promoted. I’m moving to Scotland from the US for school and will not be buying my “old lady horse” to bring over. I’ll stick with my one and see how it all pans out. Thankfully my livery prices haven’t gone up in California

Ratface

Visit site
Ratface, when you say you're cutting down on food I hope you're getting more than fruit and bread! Sorry if I misunderstood the post but there's no need to go hungry. Please look into food banks if necessary. If I've misunderstood just tell me to shut up :)
Some others have mentioned that not everyone is struggling and I agree with that. I hope that spending will trickle down somehow. I'm not riding at the moment but several friends from my riding school cohort are having to cut back on private lessons in between group lessons.
I do have cheese, and tinned spaghetti sometimes, to go with the fruit and bread. I don't use food banks. Other people need them far more than me. As I don't expend many calories, due to resting (peevishly) most of the day, and don't feel hungry, I don't see the point of eating. I'm careful to keep well hydrated, though.

lme

Visit site
With increasing costs , an ever increasing herd, and horses who clearly have a share in the local vet clinic, horses are our biggest expense. We’re OK as long as I keep working. But that means I need to have most on some sort of full livery and don’t ride as often as I would like.

southerncomfort

Visit site
We will lose one, possibly two at the end of summer. I don’t think I would replace them. Not so much cost of living, but it’s been a poor summer and we will have no standing hay for the winter.

We bought 500 litres in June, 500 litres in July and we're buying another 500 litres this month before prices start rising again. Hoping that will do us a good while over winter!

There are 5 of us here and winters can be very harsh though so we'll see.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Im literally £108 diy livery, £95 every 5 weeks for farrier, £45 a month for hay in winter, £100 every two months for feeding in winter. Dentist £40 once a year and then all the surprise visits from the vet lol, two years nothing. This year £500 ? and then the rest of my spare wage is frittered on stuff for bb ?

Right, where are you then.. I'm coming to move in. ?