Can anyone give me some advice

cobsarefab

Visit site
So recently things have been going really well with cobbus. We’ve been long reining, cantering and jumping without fuss. The other night we went for a lovely canter in a nice big field we have at our yard and cobbus behaves impeccably. Tonight however I went in the fields with her again. From the minute we got in there she was strong, jogging and generally not listening. We had a little trot and she was incredibly strong and I had no brakes. She got in to canter and locked in to the 80cm-1m wall that surrounds the field and I honestly thought she was going to jump it. I’m a bit shaken from this as she’s been so good ridden for ages and in the last week or so has been absolutely brilliant. I’m not sure why she did this as nothing in her routine had changed. I’m taking her in the field again tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to approach this.

be positive

Visit site
A combination of green pony that is just finding her feet, getting more fit and confident, the rider much the same, throw in colder weather and a few fun canters in a big field and she now thinks she knows what life is all about and is taking matters into her hands, or feet, I would suggest doing less cantering and concentrate on getting her walking in a relaxed way on all surfaces, only trot when she is waiting for you and not trying to go off without a clear signal and the same with cantering she must wait for you.
You should be able to walk sensibly round a field without her even thinking of going up a gear before you ask her to trot or canter and when you do move on treat it as a schooling session do some transitions, some circles, change direction so she is listening to you, young horses do tend to go through these stages if they are allowed to but it is usually fairly easy to get them back to being mannerly if you stick with it and insist on them listening at all times.

cobsarefab

Visit site
when I say we've been cantering without fuss we never have more than one canter on each rein during a ride and if I think I don't have control we don't do it. we do a lot of walk and trot before we even think about canter. She used to buck going in to it but she has stopped doing that now. I have always had good brakes and in the last week her steering has been really good.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I would second the suggestion that it may be the weather. A lot of horses get the wind under their tails. Alongside a more confident pony who's feeling fitter and it could easily have this outcome. Everyone (and every pony) has an off day, just make sure that you don't ride her tomorrow if you are feeling nervous or anticipating that she may do it again, save it until the conditions are better or when you know you're relaxed/confident-ish, as she will feel every small signal you give off in your seat, your hold on the reins, your breathing even.

Hope all goes well tomorrow, give us an update OP.

chaps89

Visit site
Another one here who suggests the weather.
My normally sedate pony is quite lively at the moment- for me this is good and I can use this to my advantage but I can absolutely understand that for some people it would be off putting.
Sometimes it is easier said than done, but you have to chalk these things up to experience and not dwell on them too much and focus on the next day as a new day.
Next time you do something, do something low key and unexciting where she really has to listen to you (I think she's quite good with handy pony type obstacles isn't she?) Just to give you both a bit of a confidence boost.
Likewise I don't disagree with BP- as she gets stronger and fitter she may well push the boundaries a bit so something to be aware of and maybe work with your instructor on if it does happen again.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
My utterly sensible lad had a day like that last week.

He hasn't hacked off road on his own much so it's a bit new. I had the flu, it was rainy and windy and the grass was extra green. The exuberance should have been predicted.

As soon as weather was better I had a non-nervous rider take him round the same route (I'd have got too nervous risking a repeat and then a lesson in jogging the farm ride) in walk to reset to normal. A little bit of extra schooling for me just to confirm to myself that all is well.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The temperature has taken a dive and strong winds it's enough to hot a horse up in an open field, or it could be she has now associated the field with faster work might be an idea to just walk on occasion so she doesn't anticipate having a canter.

maya2008

Visit site
Not a completely abnormal reaction if your horse isn't getting a lot of exercise and had fun there the day before.

I have always had more success getting them nice and tired with enough steady fun that they don't feel the need to take control and run, than in enforcing the 'walk forever with tiny trots' thing. I find that the latter approach results in explosive bucks to try to get me to loosen the reins so we can GO! In theory, you also shouldn't canter in the same place often, as it gives the expectation that you always will.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Tbh this is normal horse behaviour - what do you expect a horse to do? If it’s not a dobbin I would expect this every time if I was you. Learn how to ride smaller and smaller circles. Reward for walking not jogging . Go for a hack before going into the field or use the energy to improve the paces - so many options for the ‘forward’ horse

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
I really don't think it's "normal" horse behaviour for it to be very strong in trot and bogging off in canter. It's rude behaviour and the horse should learn - as BP says - to walk calmly, trot calmly, and wait to be asked for canter, and then remain reasonably sensible in canter. I don't regard that as "dobbin" territory - it's "manners" territory.

That said, it probably is a reaction to the weather, or normal green horse boundary testing. It's worth getting eyes on the ground to make sure you're absolutely clear in what you're asking and give you some tools to sort it out if it happens again. And, actually, it may well not.

be positive

Visit site
Tbh this is normal horse behaviour - what do you expect a horse to do? If it’s not a dobbin I would expect this every time if I was you. Learn how to ride smaller and smaller circles. Reward for walking not jogging . Go for a hack before going into the field or use the energy to improve the paces - so many options for the ‘forward’ horse

It is not normal behaviour in most well educated horses and even those lacking education can learn manners with correct riding, I would expect any horse to be able to work on grass in a sensible way when asked otherwise you will have no hope of hunting, eventing or even having an enjoyable off road hack, I certainly expect mine to be mannerly at all times although will accept a bit of added enthusiasm in some circumstances.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Having seen a video of her cantering in the field shes on her forehand and bowling along with her mouth open and you are in a light seat. It looked like great fun! But shes now using it to her advantage a little bit. Shes a lovely pony but shes very bright and always pushing to see what she can get away with.

Get a flash and fit it loosely so she cant open her mouth that far, get your backside in the saddle and use your seat to stop. Dont let her get into a flat, on the forehand canter. Make sure shes in a nice active trot, then make her sit back and step into the canter. Sit up and half halt the whole time to keep her steady and balanced. Practice going into canter and cantering a few steps then back to trot. And look up how to do a one rein stop. That way if she genuinely does get away from you then you know you can get her back in an emergency.

Or failing that, I'll be down tomorrow to pick her up and she can be my driving pony :lol:

blitznbobs

Visit site
It is not normal behaviour in most well educated horses and even those lacking education can learn manners with correct riding, I would expect any horse to be able to work on grass in a sensible way when asked otherwise you will have no hope of hunting, eventing or even having an enjoyable off road hack, I certainly expect mine to be mannerly at all times although will accept a bit of added enthusiasm in some circumstances.

From what I’ve seen most horses these days aren’t well educated

be positive

Visit site
From what I’ve seen most horses these days aren’t well educated

I agree and in my view it is even more important to try and educate young riders as to what is acceptable otherwise the situation will get worse, the OP knows she has a bit of a problem, should be given ideas on what may help and be encouraged to nip it in the bud so she can have a mannerly cob.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I agree and in my view it is even more important to try and educate young riders as to what is acceptable otherwise the situation will get worse, the OP knows she has a bit of a problem, should be given ideas on what may help and be encouraged to nip it in the bud so she can have a mannerly cob.

Which is why I suggested a few simple ideas

JFTDWS

Visit site
Which is why I suggested a few simple ideas

You also said it was "normal" behaviour in anything other than a dobbin - which I think is entirely the wrong message to send to any horse owner. If you encourage people to regard a lack of manners as normal, and symptomatic of riding a decent horse, that's what they'll expect and what they'll encourage the horse to be like.

There are plenty of teenagers out there encouraging their horses to bounce, ****** about, buck and rear because they think it makes them look good for riding a "not a dobbin" type horse without encouraging that mentality!

blitznbobs

Visit site
You also said it was "normal" behaviour in anything other than a dobbin - which I think is entirely the wrong message to send to any horse owner. If you encourage people to regard a lack of manners as normal, and symptomatic of riding a decent horse, that's what they'll expect and what they'll encourage the horse to be like.

There are plenty of teenagers out there encouraging their horses to bounce, ****** about, buck and rear because they think it makes them look good for riding a "not a dobbin" type horse without encouraging that mentality!

The point is the horse has roles this . If you canter it in a field for the first time, it is natural for it to get a bit bouncy the next time you hit that area. (Unless it’s a dobbin😉) you need to train it that this is not the right reaction not just expect it to know by osmosis. Horses are living beings and get things ‘wrong’ to me this is just a ‘normal behaviour ‘ if it is undesirable to you (which I get for most,including me, it is) then it involves effort to remove. In effect we are asking the horse to do something that is not it’s natural instinct. Like we train a horse to go against its instinct to run from ‘scary stuff’. But it’s unlikely there is anything wrong with this horse it is just doing what it thinks she wants.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
To be fair, I read b&b's first post as a 'don't stress, most horses will have moments like that, you just need to train her not to'. In a response to the OP saying she's not sure why the horse would do it as nothing has changed and she has been being really good.

Woah

Visit site
My mare had a ride out that was on the wild side the other day (windy day), when normally she is very quiet. She jigged about, spooked at stuff and pulled. I put it down to her not doing much exercise lately and the wind. She was back to her normal self last time. Wouldn't dwell too much on it.

JFTDWS

Visit site
The point is the horse has roles this . If you canter it in a field for the first time, it is natural for it to get a bit bouncy the next time you hit that area. (Unless it’s a dobbin��) you need to train it that this is not the right reaction not just expect it to know by osmosis. Horses are living beings and get things ‘wrong’ to me this is just a ‘normal behaviour ‘ if it is undesirable to you (which I get for most,including me, it is) then it involves effort to remove. In effect we are asking the horse to do something that is not it’s natural instinct. Like we train a horse to go against its instinct to run from ‘scary stuff’. But it’s unlikely there is anything wrong with this horse it is just doing what it thinks she wants.

I don't think anyone has said there's anything "wrong" with the horse, or that the OP should be worried about it as abnormal behaviour. But I think we're basically singing from the same hymn sheet - in that it should be trained out of it.

And evidently I'm the odd one out as clearly DabDab read something entirely different from me in your earlier post.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Completely normal for a horse to push boundaries at the start when it comes to exciting things - the good news is that this is something that you can train for quite easily, it just takes a bit of time. Most horses when they come to me can be silly in open spaces. For the really silly ones I will do nothing in open spaces but walk for at least a month, then I'll introduce some trot. Only when they are completely listening in walk, trot, halt and all transitions will I introduce canter. You basically want to do the exciting thing on your terms with them fully listening.

It doesn't sound like you will need to spend as long as the above with this horse - just mix it up for the next few times you take her - sometimes walk, sometimes walk and trot, sometimes occasional short canters. The real key is not to transition upwards until the horse is listening to you perfectly, otherwise you're asking for trouble. I would avoid light seat for now - sit back, use your weight to keep her under control and then you won't have to haul on her mouth. You're almost asking for a schooling canter - think shorter, bouncier and more controlled than a normal open space canter.

Pippity

Visit site
I just want to throw into this thread that I'm so impressed with how far you've come with your coblet! You've listened to advice, really put in the work, and it sounds like you've both come on massively from when you first got her. Congratulations!

eggs

Visit site
The change in weather and high winds certainly won't have helped. The only thing I can add is that with young or green horses I make it a point when hacking to not canter them the next time I take them somewhere where we had a canter the time before. What I mean is that if I had had a canter up a bridleway the next time I rode that part of the bridleway I would walk or maybe trot. If you canter every time you go into the field she will very quickly learn to anticipate the canter.

HeyMich

Visit site
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but was she possibly in season? I know this time of year mares can have a hefty 'last season of the year' and it can affect their behaviour. Obviously, weather and a fast ride the day before may not have helped the situation either!