Can anyone help?? Hailsham area East Sussex

Star_Chaser

Visit site
I wouldn't normally post about these sort of things but I was contacted today by a friend and asked for a bit of help and I know how generous you lot can be so I hope you don't mind me posting this:

Brownbread Horse Rescue in Ashburnham (near Hailsham) East Sussex currently have a mare in foal that is in dire condition and in urgent need of some extra help in the form of Hay, feed at the moment anything they can get into her but sugarbeet chaff and mixed feed , rugs (6ft 6 minimum shes a big girl), bedding (straw) and time if your local from experienced people who wouldn't mind taking her out slowly to do a little grazing and give short exercise, she is big girl and bit of a biter so experienced people required. She is currently in a sling to help keep her off her feet whilst she is recuperating but is pretty far along.

I'm no longer in the area but Hailsham Feeds (PHONE: (+44) 01323 449429
FAX: (+44) 01323 449429 EMAIL:sales@hailsham-feeds.co.uk) kindly took an order for me over the phone and will deliver to Dinty and Tony. I'm still looking for some hay in the area from someone who will deliver so if anyone knows a good supplier (large round bales pref) can you pm please.

They do have a lot of other pony & horses in at the moment that need help so if you have spare rugs no matter what the size or kit straw hay feed all is very welcome and urgently needed. We've had such rotten weather that they've had to use the fields set aside for hay which are now wrecked :(

I know lots of rescues are also in dire straits but this mare needs a little extra.

Fintan

Visit site
Hm, is there any special health problems? I guess there will be some.

I can`t send hay, I am a bit to far away. But I could do a diet for the horse once when I know what I have to deal with and provide the nutraceuticals and balancer for this case.

But this will only work when they are able to get the basics like hay, beetpulp, oats, soybean meal e.g.

But I need to know more about the horse because there might be the danger to overdo some things.

Since years I allways get horses like them as a guinea pig for a bit research.

Well sounds cruel but it is not.

It works out like this:

It is the same horse.

So if they want they can contact me or maybe you will contact me with their details.

Star_Chaser

Visit site
I'm afraid beyond being emaciated and in foal I'm not sure what else her needs are.

At the moment they need more practical help than dietary advice they are a long established horse rescue and have vet help and plenty of experience recuperating horses like this one. Sadly the weather has really hit them hard like many places. She is incredibly thin but a lovely horse given the state of her.

She could really do with a 6ft 6 or bigger rug if anyone has one going spare and wouldn't mind donating it. Sadly she is one of 53 horses in their care at the moment so anything is welcome.

More than anything they need experienced handlers who wouldn't mind taking her out to graze and give her a little bit of exercise to help start building her muscles. Short and sweet so to speak but every little helps.

Last edited:

Angelbones

Visit site
I live about 3 miles from there. I'll go up today with a rug for her. I'll ask around about hay and see what's what. If I can do more I shall. Thanks for raising this.