Can anyone help with horse share problem?

Lucypoo

New User
Visit site
Hi

Before the summer I started sharing a horse. The owner is really nice and it has been problem free until now. I pay £120/month for 3 days a week. There is another lady who rides the horse one day which I knew about before I started. Now somebody else will be riding her too. Neither of them contribute towards her up-keep. Does this seem fair? Never done a horse share before so really don't know!

Any thoughts/comments gratefully received!

Lx

golddustsara

Visit site
I wouldn't be very happy with that arrangement as a loaner myself. How often is the horse going to be ridden per week? I would feel as if I was paying for the majority of the horse's upkeep and funding the other two riders days!

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Crumbs, that's a bit off! Did you sign some kind of contract or have anything in writing? Even an email or something...?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Flippin' heck lass, unless it is an amazing horse with insurance premiums through the roof or on full livery, you're paying over the odds, or so it would appear on the facts given.

How comes others are to ride the horse, but not pay?

Lucypoo

New User
Visit site
She will be ridden at least twice by the other riders. I am glad it's not just me that thought it's a bit off!

Thanks for your comments!

Lx

QUICKFIRE

Visit site
As long as your happy paying for the 3 days you ride does it make any difference, no it dont seem fair that the other 2 dont contribute but that is upto the owner of the horse surely?
If you like you can come and exercise my horse 5 days a week for the same price
grin.gif

£120 does sound a lot though

Lucypoo

New User
Visit site
No contract or anything in writing! That's a lesson learnt for next time. I'm thinking of giving a months notice and start looking again.

Lx

Spudlet

Visit site
HOW MUCH????!!!!

Gosh, that seems a bit steep, and if I were in your position I'd be livid - and leaving. Plenty more shares out there, with owners who won't rip you off which is what it sounds like is happening here I'm afraid
frown.gif

I don't know where you are, but I could keep a horse on DIY round here for not an awful lot more than £120 a month!

Kat_Bath

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
No contract or anything in writing! That's a lesson learnt for next time. I'm thinking of giving a months notice and start looking again.

Lx

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're only unhappy about the fact that others are riding and not paying, talk to the owner first and see if you can resolve matters. If you do do that, get something in writing as to your resoultion. If this means no-one else riding and you are the sole sharer, perhaps head something 'loan agreement' as that way, you're both avoiding the word share. If you resolve it and the others are riding and paying, then she needs 'sharers agreements' or something similar.

If you can't resolve it then, by all means look for something else. If you have nothing in writing, you don't need to give a months notice (especially since she is being quite unfair with all these other riders).

Good luck
smile.gif

ETA: £120 does also sound quite steep...

CalllyH

Visit site
No thats shocking - really shocking. It depends how close you are to the owner and how much you love the horse id have words.

It sounds like shes taking you for a ride and treated the horse like a riding shool pony which if your paying that much a month is defo not want you want!! HOW RUDE!!!

Lucypoo

New User
Visit site
Thank you all so much for your help! Will talk to the owner and voice my concern I wasn't sure if I was being a bit silly but seems not! I will let you know how I get on... might look for a horse on loan next time!!!

Thanks

Lx

Angua2

Visit site
The money sounds right for 3 days TBH when you work out the daily costs £10 per day is not that far out. As for other sharers, again that is not unusual..... one horse on my yard has 5 different riders plus the owner! he definatly earns his keep! Are you sure that the other riders do not pay a daily rate or contribute to shoes?.

IMO if you like the horse and the other riders do not affect your days/riding then I would stay.... you can let the owner know your feeling but at the end of the day you share the horse you do not own it.

Spudlet

Visit site
Know that feeling, my last share left me determined not to bother again until I could afford one of my own - it might be a few years down the line but I'd rather wait then be ripped off again personally
smile.gif

Twizzel

Visit site
£120/month for 3 days a week seems pretty expensive to me!! I was paying £110/month for 4 days, and found that too much to shell out.

My old share wasn't brilliant, as the owner let the yard owner's daughter ride the horse on the days I did not have her. She took her showjumping as well. I wasn't too chuffed at this, and it's one of the reasons I gave up the share.

I'd speak to the owner about things, or give it up... £120/month is a lot to pay even without the added problems of other people riding the horse for nothing.

Spudlet

Visit site
My last one was £80 a month, for three days and every other weekend. Depends on the area and what kind of yard it's on of course, but still £120 seems a lot to me.

Wasn't the money that got me, it was other issues - but let's not go there!

Lollii

Visit site
You can come and ride anyone of my 8 horses for £120 a month as many times as you like!!!

Infact I will provide breakfast, lunch & dinner for you for that as well - anytime!!
grin.gif

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The horse belongs to the owner, if she wants to let others ride it on the days you are not riding it, then that is up to her. If you agreed the price at the beginning, then what is your issu with it now? Sorry but if you want to have a say, then you have to own the horse.

saddlesore

Visit site
I honestly don't think £30 a week is that expensive! Round my way DIY (just box and grazing) is £30 a week, then you have bedding, haylage, feed, worming, shoes, insurance, vet costs and a million other things on top of that.
crazy.gif
So from that side of things I don't think you are being ripped off!
If you are unhappy with the arrangement with the other riders then by all means look for another share, but if you are happy with horse............. tbh I imagine there are far worse arrangements out there!

hoggedmane

Visit site
I agree that it is up to the owner what happens to the horse when it is not your day. You just need to know whether you are happy with your arrangement for your days. She may be ridden more days but that won't hurt her and shoud result in her being fitter for when you ride.

I don't think £120 a month is a lot round here a lesson is £40 for an hour so that would be £120 a week!

E_Lister

Visit site
It probably wont help but I used to pay £20 a MONTH for my share which was 2 days a week. (But we can keep our horses for a little under £100 a month if we try!)

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I know of people who pay £150 a month for only two rides a week (horse on full livery), so compared to that £120 isn't too bad. Are these other people riding the horse regularly? It does sound a little unfair, but maybe they are friends of the owner, I know I would let my friends ride my horses sometimes if they wanted and wouldn't charge them for it.

michelleice

Visit site
Going on 2 people sharing a horse sharer and owner genral is 1/2 livery month plus 1/2 shoes mabey occassinal bag of feed every 3 months

Have u asked owner if other help out? mabey they pay for feed/hay??

Tickles

Visit site
Well, I know that the horse I share is ridden by the owner on days I don't. Occasionally she lets a friend or two ride him or someone else long rein etc, etc.

If the other people are, like you, not friends/family/schooling the horse for the owner I'd be a bit miffed and ask for some kind of fairer contribution split. But otherwise nothing has really changed in terms of your time with the horse & what you pay for it. So if you were happy before...

Helga1980

Visit site
I can totally understand why you're peed off and I would be too as it doesn't seem fair that these people are getting freebies. However I have to agree with YorksG, you pay £10 per day (which I think it actually a pretty fair price) for your share of the week.

As long as these people are only riding on the owner's days and not impacting on you (i.e. horse isn't totally knackered all the time) then it's really up to the owner.

I would talk to her though or start looking around as you'll only get more and more frustrated and stop enjoying it.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
If I shared my horse and split my share 3-4 days each, I would not expect as the horses owner to have any question who I allow to ride MY horse on MY days.

You are being robber at that price though, my horse is being offered for share @ £70 per month!!

Lady_Bug

angelsonhorseback.co.uk
I think the price is fair, bit more than I get for my horse, but still think it's reasonable baring in mind the cost of lessons at riding schools these days.

I appreciate you feeling hacked off because the other people aren't paying, but you are paying for your 3 days so it's quite irrelevant what the horse does on its days with its owner. As long as it doesn't affect your days, then I'm afraid you'll have to get on with it or find another share horse
smile.gif

RolyPolyPony

Visit site
I personally think that is pretty expensive. I used to pay £20 a week for my current chare horse. I'm able to ride up to 3 times a week and his owner will ride 3 times and then he has a day off. We have recently sat down to talk about how the arrangement is working out. His owner now only charges me £50 per month which is basically paying for his shoes every 4 weeks and the extra goes towards the insurance. i would definatley speak to the owner and make it known you are not happy (the only way for a share to work is making sure there is plenty of communication and you voice any concerns you have) explain that you dont think it is fair you are paying that a month and they are riding for nothing.