Can anyone help?

[139672]

Visit site
Hi, my poor little poodle has not been well. He seems to have neck pain, hard and/or uncomfortable for him to look round to the left. Sometimes he squeals. Been to vets twice, last time on Friday evening. Vet says either a disk, arthritis, etc issue, or he could have inflammation of the brain and neck (like meningitis but an auto immune thing). Having extra painkillers. Saturday he was relaxed and slept well day and all night. Yesterday he was restless and didn’t sleep for 24hrs but he had got a bit stressed out first thing when I was trying to pick him up to take him downstairs. I had to sleep on living room floor with him last night. He yelped a fair bit when trying to put his head down or lifting his head up.
He had a really good day today, calm, 2 little yelps and he’s now asleep with his head down between his front paws.
Has anyone’s dog had the inflammation? If so, how did their dog react? Ie good and bad days? Off their food? Vomiting? He has never lost his appetite.
Sorry for the long post, so difficult to know what to expect and what to do.
We can book him in for an MRI (v expensive, not covered by the insurance). Vet suggests waiting 24/48hrs as he is up and down and have increased the painkillers, with liquid paracetamol to be given as well.

bonny

Visit site
In my experience vets are good at scaring you with the worse possible outcome and if your dog is well in himself, eating etc I would follow the advice to give painkillers for now and hope he gradually gets better. Neck pain is very sore but I wouldn’t be surprised if your dog is ok in a few days.

Esmae

Visit site
I would go with the painkillers and find a good McTimoney chiropractor. I had an elderly whippet who was practically written off by the vet with tales of arthritis and the like. Then we tried the Mctimoney route and she had another 5 pain free years! There is an excellent lady in Lincoln but not sure whereabouts you are.

paisley

Visit site
Whippet had had neck/shoulder issues for the last six months. He has had 2-3 severe muscle spasms and the route that is working so far is rest, painkillers and very gradual exercise. No stairs/furniture, physio and a little dog massage coat (Horseware, he loves it). Swimming wasn’t appropriate, he swims like a constipated goose! The main thing has been correct walking, on lead, straight and at walk to build his muscle. We’re not taking about last weeks pheasant chasing that needed an extra physio appointment! It’s taken time, he is on paracetamol, Yumove and golden paste. I wanted an MRI, but my lovely vet advised for the rest/rehab route and honestly at 11, I’m not keen for anaesthesia unless totally necessary.