Can anyone please help me word a message?

Luci07

Visit site
Some responses on here seem
quite bizarre. As someone loaning her pony she has the ultimate responsibility and some posters seem to forget this. £1000 is a lot of money to ignore so I too would be looking to sell and move on. OP is not a charity and pony still has much left to offer.

Equi

Visit site
I quite agree. If OP wants to sell so what? Just cause a horse is happy and in a loan home does not mean it cant be sold. OP does not need the pony, it may as well belong to someone else.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
Thank you. I don't need the guilt thing. She and her child are enjoying the pony and he leads the way out on hacks and her youngsters get educated, he is well bred and has always been looked after and has taken said child off the lead and winning a trophy in about two weeks. He is an outstanding child's pony but we were not in PC etc so when we advertised him he had no recent exposure to the right market. I love him dearly and want him to stay with this family but felt he time has come where he ought to belong to them and they take responsibility for him.

Equi

Visit site
Thank you. I don't need the guilt thing. She and her child are enjoying the pony and he leads the way out on hacks and her youngsters get educated, he is well bred and has always been looked after and has taken said child off the lead and winning a trophy in about two weeks. He is an outstanding child's pony but we were not in PC etc so when we advertised him he had no recent exposure to the right market. I love him dearly and want him to stay with this family but felt he time has come where he ought to belong to them and they take responsibility for him.

And i quite agree! A never ending loan only works when both parties agree that the animal is not really needed but has a home in both abodes for life (like my little mini gelding who is on loan to me...he could go in the morning but why bother..he is happy here and not being wasted)

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
The thing is, i wouldn't just sell to anyone, but i know this is the right home and she posts constantly on FB so we know how he is. As he is about thirty miles away.

rowan666

Visit site
I think the concern was with the fact that this is an "older" pony being sold on NOT that owner wishes to sell and I do understand and agree that if if intension of a wish to sell was made clear prior to loan then loanee should be fully prepared to pay up (and 1k for a good PC pony is a bargain at any age!) or let the pony go
Out of interest OP how old is this pony?

Equi

Visit site
If shes so in love with him, i reckon she will love to buy him. Like someone else said, you are not a charity.

catroo

Visit site
And if she calls my bluff I may just have to accept it, as i don't want to move him unless I have no choice.

I'm on your side but you have to be realistic, you can't make these people buy your pony. You are perfectly entitled to end the loan and offer for sale though.
If they say no to buying then I do think you should look for a new home as this will continue to annoy you, and pony isn't getting any younger.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I always post over FB about how great my life is with my barn conversion and land with horse at home ect ..... Cash wise I've not got two pennies to rub together and she might well be the same! Just a thought but agree with others, offer them first refusal and sell him.

Mince Pie

Visit site
OP It might be worth asking quiet questions in the PC, along the lines of "how is he getting on?" that way if you have people going "oh he's wonderful I wish I could buy him" then if the loaners don't buy him you can then go back and let it be known that the pony is now for sale. If you're feeling generous then you could up the price and give some back to the loaners for getting him out and about. Having said that I'm sure if you went to a PC and said "I have a 14hh bombproof, perfect kids pony for sale" people would be biting your hand off, and expect to pay much more than £1000.

GirlFriday

Visit site
So, OP agrees (for whatever reasons) an open ended loan for a pony she couldn't sell easily and, when loaners have got it out and about doing things and increased marketability then she decides to consider selling it out from under the child rider. Nice.

Breeding isn't relevant for something no-one is going to breed from and 14 h is a tricky size as too big/small for many kids/adults.

Suggest OP consider offering it at price it would have fetched before the loan and then, if they say yes, great, and if not then selling it for more elsewhere will leave better taste

be positive

Visit site
So, OP agrees (for whatever reasons) an open ended loan for a pony she couldn't sell easily and, when loaners have got it out and about doing things and increased marketability then she decides to consider selling it out from under the child rider. Nice.

Breeding isn't relevant for something no-one is going to breed from and 14 h is a tricky size as too big/small for many kids/adults.

Suggest OP consider offering it at price it would have fetched before the loan and then, if they say yes, great, and if not then selling it for more elsewhere will leave better taste

The OP is talking about a 1k pony, hardly expensive for any size or age, the loaner asked for a loan due to not being able to afford to buy and the OP went along with it in order to help out, now it seems as if circumstances have changed and the loaners may be able to afford to buy the pony that has given a nervous child confidence, it works both ways, child has gained, pony has got recent PC mileage so now is the time to review the terms of the loan.
I don't see why the OP has to continue to provide a pony just because a child is involved, not everyone can afford to loan out their assets and the time seems right to decide what to do, if they agree to buy for around the £1k mentioned the loaner will get a useful pony for a very low price that they know will do the job, I agree they should not pay a premium price but having a loan first reduces the normal risks to almost zero many people would pay a premium to buy in those circumstances.

Equi

Visit site
Exactly! Any loan can be sold at any time - that is the agreement of a loan. If you take one on, put the work in then bloody well buy it so you can be the one making the profit/taking the credit. Why should OP feel bad for making a decision about an animal SHE (or he..) OWNS.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I paid £3500 for this pony, he may be 20 now but in PC terms that is still acceptable, he doesn't have any health issues and he is totally safe and sane. He brought my daughter on better than any lessons and on the loan agreement I have recorded his value-at £1000-so i most certainly am not trying to profit from them taking him out and about! I have no intentions of selling him from under them-I just hoped the family would now wish to make the arrangement permanent and given she has has sold three horses recently and bought another for herself i do feel that I have been taken advantage of somewhat.

Mince Pie

Visit site

Err no, if she was selling it out from under them she wouldn't be offering them first refusal... Besides, she made it clear that she would rather sell so the loan was a favour, now they can afford to buy they should do so.

twiggy2

Visit site
I have a pony on loan to the perfect home, definitely no lack of money/experience. She is used for loaner daughter to ride and to teach young kids on so she makes money with the pony too.
I still want to be able to make the final decision on the ponies future or end of life if I feel it is needed so would not sell even if they asked to buy her.
I believe it will be a home for life but I feel I owe the pony a secure future.due to her age etc.
I also have contacted with a previous owner who has offered future security to this pony if ever it is needed which I am very grateful for as it does the some pressure off.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
The pony is a first ridden not 14hh. I have several golden oldies at home who will never leave and I feel this woman is just as capable as me regarding appropriate decisions for the pony. In some ways she is more knowledgable than me anyhow. And in terms of trial they have had months to test the pony out.

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site

A good 14hh pony is worth its weight in gold. Can't imagine why you think it would be the wrong size for many kids and adults. Bizarre thing to say!

TGM

Visit site
Unfortunately, there are lots of people happy to loan a 20 year old pony (so they can give it back if age catches up with it) but not so many wanting to buy one that age. I'd be cautious about putting the loaner in a situation where the options are buy the pony or terminate the loan. You could then end up with a 20 year old pony that you may not be able to sell, so will either have to keep (costing you money) or loan out again, where the home might not be so good, plus heading in the autumn/winter there may not be so many takers as PC activities decrease and keep costs increase!

I can't see any harm in offering to sell the pony to them, but wouldn't put them in a situation where they have to choose between buying and giving up the loan.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I don't intend to TGM. But right now everything is perfect for them-no outlay, perfect pony, and they can hand him back anytime they fancy......I don't like loans and wish I had said on loan with view to buy after suitable trial period. My mistake. Also i didn't try that hard to sell him, as I was worried about him being overjumped etc. When she offered to take him on loan, it seemed the right thing at the time.

LadySam

Visit site
I think Dry Rot's slight tweaking of SpringArising's original wording is perfect. The lady OP loaned the pony to has tried it on with her - I don't see anything wrong with OP trying it back. Tell her you need to sell but want to find the best home, give them first right of refusal and see what happens. If they think you'll sell and finally buy the pony, great. If they don't, you don't sell elsewhere if you don't want to. Maybe you "don't find the right home" or your "circumstances change" and you decide to leave him where he is after all. That is the risk with loaners and you are under no obligation to explain yourself.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I think Dry Rot's slight tweaking of SpringArising's original wording is perfect. The lady OP loaned the pony to has tried it on with her - I don't see anything wrong with OP trying it back. Tell her you need to sell but want to find the best home, give them first right of refusal and see what happens. If they think you'll sell and finally buy the pony, great. If they don't, you don't sell elsewhere if you don't want to. Maybe you "don't find the right home" or your "circumstances change" and you decide to leave him where he is after all. That is the risk with loaners and you are under no obligation to explain yourself.

love this thanks

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I paid £3500 for this pony, he may be 20 now but in PC terms that is still acceptable, he doesn't have any health issues and he is totally safe and sane. He brought my daughter on better than any lessons and on the loan agreement I have recorded his value-at £1000-so i most certainly am not trying to profit from them taking him out and about! I have no intentions of selling him from under them-I just hoped the family would now wish to make the arrangement permanent and given she has has sold three horses recently and bought another for herself i do feel that I have been taken advantage of somewhat.

I am sorry but I would never pay £1000 for a 20 year old pony. Just be happy he has a good home, OP.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
You might not, but plenty would. 20 is not old if you are a PC pony. Especially if you are one of those with no Cushings, laminitis, arthritis etc. You can't put a price on safety either. The child was terrified and now she is happy and confident. Most ponies in our branch were well into their twenties.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
You might not, but plenty would. 20 is not old if you are a PC pony. Especially if you are one of those with no Cushings, laminitis, arthritis etc. You can't put a price on safety either. The child was terrified and now she is happy and confident. Most ponies in our branch were well into their twenties.

I am just trying to explain it from the loaner's POV. If I were her, I would not want to pay £1k for a 20 year old pony that you say yourself was hard to sell. I would however, take on such a pony as a loan for a child to have fun with and to give confidence and also be prepared should I do such a thing to offer that pony a home for life. But I would not part with any money for it. The loaner may have been saying she could not afford to so as to spare your feelings. Not wanting to say the pony was too old and over-priced for its age. From the sound of things the pony is a little cracker and has done a lot and the loaner has benefitted from that, but that does not mean they should feel obliged to buy it. I would rather give a pony like yours away to such a good home than risk 'calling their bluff' and then having to take it back to sell to someone who may not be so kind. Just my thinking on the issue and obviously many do not agree.

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
" Hi X, I am really happy to see how y is getting on with Z, it looks like Z has surpassed your expectations as a schoolmaster. I was wondering if you would now like to opportunity to buy Z, to secure his future with you?"

The reason I worded my message as I did is because I feel the loaner is being a little hard done to here. She did not want to buy a pony for the child who may or may not want to continue, and you offered a loan. It was not a LWVTB, and she, by all accounts, has taken good care of the pony.

For all you know she is starting another thread somewhere "I love our loan pony, and would like to buy him, but I am afraid if I rock the boat the owner may take him back off us." People, in all likelihood, would be saying "If she has not mentioned taking the pony back than I would not open up any issues." or whatever.

By sending the message I suggested, the subject is opened in a nice way. If that were me I would certainly want to secure the pony's future. In fact the mere thought of losing the pony would have me asking what I had to do to own the pony. It is a gentle start.

If she says no, then nothing is lost, you can decide to leave the pony where he is, or tell her that he will be for sale. Either way, she has had first offer, all is cordial, you can decide what to do.

I do not see the owner as taking the pss at all. You have not asked for money, she has not given money. I am not so sure what her Facebook photos have to do with anything. People think I am rich because of my house and horsebox, and the lovely Jay Jay. But, I have no holidays, few clothes, don't smoke etc. I am always toying with the idea of a horse for OH. I guess I *could* pay a lot of money, but TBH he is not that bothered, so if a horse finds us fair enough. I would hate to think I took an oldie on loan, as agreed with the owner, looked after it well, had a great time with OH on it, then the owner started calling me on an open forum, saying I was taking the pee because I am obviously rich according to my Facebook account!

rachk89

Visit site
Maybe just gift her the pony if money doesn't mean anything to you? That way the pony has a good home for life and will be used for a long time still.

Maybe she isn't as rich as you think too. Some people have what seems like a lavish lifestyle but it's often paid for by credit cards etc. I personally wouldn't entrust my horse to someone like that as it's easy for people to get into debt that way. Not saying she does that but what if it is?

Luci07

Visit site
20 years old healthy sound schoolmaster pony with proven credentials
And at 14 hh something a small adult could ride
happily as well. My vet always said that an older horse with no issues is very likely to keep going as well. Pony has a recent record. OP said she didn't try very hard to sell but now circumstances have changed. Yes the loaner has put a record on said pony and in return, her daughter has gained confidence and fun.