Can anyone put my mind at rest?

casey2312

s6.photobucket.com
Or is my life going rapidly to sh!t?

Supposed to move to Oz in 5 weeks, but house sale has fallen through at the 11th hour. (supposed to exchange 6 weeks ago) Flights booked, mare ready to go into quarantine etc

Taking my 2 month pregnant mare with.

Yesterday, noticed mare pass a yellow urine type discharge, like she would do in season....Nothing else.

Bought her in from field today, and she passed another lot...Making me think perhaps she has lost foal, and in season. One of the other field mates is in season.

Can mares pass this and still be in foal? Help!

I am ringing the vet 1st thing to get her scanned. I am exasperated.
frown.gif

ETA: She hasn't got the usual gunk down her legs, and she has clear fluid in her udder.
confused.gif

AndyPandy

Visit site
Mares can show in season at any time during their pregnancy. Only way to be sue what is going on is to get her scanned, but it wouldn't be unusual for a mare to urinate as if in season, whilst maintaining a pregnancy.

Sorry to hear about the other stuff, hope it all sorts itself out soon!

smile.gif

Spyda

Visit site
Oh, best of luck tomorrow. You need some good luck by the sounds of it. Hope she's still in foal for you. If it's any consolation my TB mare did the same thing with her first foal. Had me worried sick until vet confirmed everything was still okay. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. x

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Was she scanned at 35 days or later? If so, it would be unlikely that she would come into season so soon if she HAD lost the pregnancy. Once the endometrial cups have formed, they tend to persist even if the pregnancy is lost, and mares who lose a pregnancy after 35 days rarely (ever??) come back into season so quickly (they don't usually come back into season in the same breeding season.)

casey2312

s6.photobucket.com
She was scanned at 31 days, and it was normal size and little heart beat etc, and the vet was happy not to see us again.

I have bred before, and never seen this, but I am so glad you experienced breeders are here to help out.
smile.gif
Thank you, I am calming down a bit now, and learning in the process.

springfallstud

sfs-stud.com
One of my mares has also been showing and the vet scanned her again last week to check for me, pregnancy still safely there with a big follicle aswell!!! She didnt show season last year when in foal but i guess her body hasnt told yet this year she is again lol hope everything works out for you
smile.gif

Daisychain

Visit site
I remember a few years ago i had a mare which ran with the stallion, when i collected her from the field and led her out she started behaving exactly as if she was in season! weird, she was in foal though!

S_N

Visit site
Are you using IRT to transport her? As she is in-foal before going over there, will she have to remain in a CEM quarantine until 21 days post foaling? Or has that rule been lifted now that Australia is EI free? TBH if she isn't in foal now, you won't be getting her back in-foal this year (well, very low chance for a Northern Hemisphere covering). Instead of panicing and getting your vet out ASAP to scan her, why not wait until she goes into quarantine and have her scanned again then? She will be seen by the vet on the first morning of the quarantine anyway, for bloods and swabs and an ID check. Where is she booked into go for the quarantine? I might know them...

Whizz105

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your house falling thru honey
shocked.gif

What are you going to do?!

With regards to Tiff, I will keep fingers crossed for you... and try not to think it means all bad, as you can see from the replies it doesn't mean she has lost the foal.

Let us know what the outcome is with the vet... xx

casey2312

s6.photobucket.com
Hey SN. Yeah she is going with IRT, and the quarantine procedure is still in place. Which is fine because I was hoping to introduce a new blood line etc so I would cope.

Actually my mind is at rest, because of the replies. The 'season' wasn't the same as usual, and the likelihood of her going back into season so soon is unlikely. So she needs pre quarantine bloods, so I will get a vet to have a look then.
wink.gif