Can anyone recognise if this is a hoof fungal infection?

Quartz

Visit site
I have noticed the frog on my horses foot changing over the last 3-4 days. It is just one hoof, it smells slightly and has a white fluffy appearance.

The field is wetter than usual, am thinking of moving him to the higher field especially if this is caused by the wet.

I have washed it in antiseptic and dried it thoroughly (after I took photo!!) Although this won't do that much good as he is still in field.

Does an infection like this require a vet or can I treat with antifungal cream and cleaning?

Thanks

http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/quartz85/Hoof infection/

Fransurrey

Visit site
The frogs look quite good in those pics, Quartz. Remember that they will adapt to different environments and if your field is much wetter (whose isn't?!?), then chances are it's that. Doesn't hurt to treat them, though. I use Effol hoof ointment, as mine live out and this stuff clings to the sole for longer than a nanosecond (just).

Quartz

Visit site
The frogs look quite good in those pics, Quartz. Remember that they will adapt to different environments and if your field is much wetter (whose isn't?!?), then chances are it's that. Doesn't hurt to treat them, though. I use Effol hoof ointment, as mine live out and this stuff clings to the sole for longer than a nanosecond (just).

Is it the Effol waterproof antiseptic ointment? I have just looked on their website and they have quite a few different products. I just want to buy them all, so thought maybe you could narrow it down for me??? Thanks

sprite1978

Visit site
I think it all looks quite healthy, but it wont harm to treat it. I would start with pouring salt water on it, and allowing it to pool in the hoof for a minute or 2. If this doesnt work, use dilute hydrogen peroxide. But dilute it well, and be careful to rinse any spillage off the foot and leg