Can anyone recommend a 5* breaking & schooling yard?

Shellinch

Visit site
Hi everyone and thank you for looking. I'm wondering anyone can help me out.

I have a 14.2hh Arab x coloured mare who has come from a neglected background. She is amazing with me due to allot of hard work and persistence.

I had he broken in at our yard but I was not happy with the way they worked as the guy was very aggressive with her and bullied her into it and I'm my opinion has set her back. She has had an accident to her knee from escaping from the field and had 4 months off and last month she has been out perminantly to have some time to herself.

Basically the guy was aggressive with her, then sort of got nice with her but doesn't take any crap so is very abrupt in his handling techniques, he didn't do any long reining and would lunge her till she was tired before getting on her then would ride her round keeping her forward and all over the place she was never relaxed as she would spook and he would shout and move her forward and he legs were all over the place. She naturally holds her head perfectly due to the Arab inside of her and is very flowy and showy. He took 5 months o break her and she was still in a mouthing bit wen he was riding her and they wanted to give her back to me like that bearing in mind she hadn't even been out on roads on long rein so stills spooks at cars etc... And every time he goes near her she runs so they don't have the connection.

I want to start her education from scratch with the best of the best with spooky nervous horses as she needs it and I want her ready for me to carry on her education but safely. I would do it myself as she trusts me but Iv never broken a horse so I want it done professionally.

Can anyone recommend anyone and can they pick her up or will I need to find transport, she travels beautifully as she follows me anywhere so travel isn't a problem. I live in south Wales but am prepared to travel for right person to break her.

Kind regards Michelle

McNally

Visit site
Can you google or search through phone books etc for breaking yards in your area? Then go along and meet the people, talk to them and explain the problems you had in the old yard- If they are any good they will understand your concerns.
Watch them work a few breakers they have in, ask how they go about things. Ask for referances from owners whose horses have been broken at the yard. If the yard owners have nothing to hide they will willingly give you this information and be proud of their work.
I can recommend a yard but its in Gloucestershire and tbh if i were sending a horse away for breaking id like to visit and be closer.
Word of mouth is really the best way.

Triskar

Visit site
Whereabouts in South Wales? I'd backed my youngster and was hacking him round the village at walk, but it was abit beyond me to get him trotting and cantering - I was recommended a fantastic freelance (she works in Abergavenny) who has brought him on - he was 2nd and 1st in his first 2 Intro dressage tests, and 6th in his first ever Prelim at the Arab Horse Society's NATIONAL show!

Shellinch

Visit site
Hi I'm in the vale of Glamorgan but would preference to send her away :) traveling is no issue

Iv had some recommendations but to be honest Iv had both good and bad comments so I'm after someone who I don't hear hardly any bad comments. She is a very special lady and she is rather complicated lol but she is amazing with me.

Thanks for the advice so far :)

Triskar

Visit site
OK. Emma works at Matt Ryan Eventing in Abergavenny (they don't just school eventers, but I think that they are quite expensive? They have terrific facilities though) You can contact them through the website at www.mattryan.co.uk. Good luck!

gossipgirl

Visit site
hi, i have had one broken in by the wiegersmas down in devon. they do an excellent job and have the facilities for this they have a webiste, if you google lucy wiegersma you should find it.

romulus

Visit site
Try Juliette Evans. She has masses of experienced with all sorts of horses from the straight forward to the quirky. She has worked with equine charities doing rehabilitation and has now set up her own small yard (8boxes) doing post op care (mainly vet referral), post injury rehab,breaking, schooling and fitness work. Her phone number is 0777629070.

horsemadelsie

Visit site
I can very highly recommend someone in essex, but thats probably a bit too far to travel from wales! pm me if you do want to know, they were fantastic with my boy who had issues- he was so chilled out and happy there.

Barneyforever

Visit site
im afraid there is only one 5* one i know but its in east sussex but wow they do a fab job, if the miles arnt an issue then i must recommend hurstwood farm its amazing they dont use forceful methods and never force the horse into anything message me for more info or check out there website:)

jenz87

Visit site
www.firtreestud.co.uk
They have worked with several "difficult" cases and rescues. They are also happy to publish the full training session online if owners cant get down as much( they like owners to come as much as they can) as they like to keep it as open and honest as possible :)