Can anyone recommend a good company for horse insurance?

sz90168

Visit site
I am in the process of buying a youngster and I want to get him insured. Can anyone recommend any good companies for horse insurance? Not sure if it worth insuring a youngster but I rather be on the safe side.

Please help

Jesstickle

Visit site
Yes, it is worth it. My 3yo had £3000 of treatment this year!

I'm with Stoneways and they were very good. I would recommend them :)

Jingleballs

Visit site
I was with NFU but they are expensive and their exclusion policy is rediculous - my horse coliced 2 years ago and despite having never coliced since and only recieving minor treatment NFU were excluding colic claims for life - they did always pay out on my claims though albeit very slowly in the most recent case.

I'm now with AM Trust Equine - not had to use them yet but they had a much fairer exclusion policy and were a joy to deal with when setting up the policy.

beckieswann

Visit site
I'm with NFU and have recently had to claim for colic surgery-they have been fantastic. But you do pay the premium for the service. With insurance I'd always advise to go with the reputable ones, otherwise you'll be paying out more in the long run.

iconique

Visit site
NFU has been simply fantastic to us, over the last 5 years we've had an ovary removed, lyphangitis, Liver problem, leg trashed, colic surgery, hernia op, loss of horse and contribution to disposal cost. Our premiums haven't been huge considering and are around the same as everyone else quotes. Our own homebred 18 month old was for the colic, hernia, loss and disposal, we paid more on top because we reached our claim limit - so for us it was definitely worth insuring a youngster. Plus the leg cut and splints where in our now 4 year old who was 2 at the time, youngsters can be accident prone.

With the NFU it seems to come down to what premiums they want to charge you and what amount they are prepared to cover for - paying out claims seems (touch wood) to be one of their better things. (imo)

Friend is insured with Scottish Equestrian - you pay a % of claim on some of their policies rather than a fixed excess and can be covered for a much larger amount on vet fees.

There have been loads of posts on this in the New Lounge

Last edited:

Ali2

Visit site
We're with Scottish Equestrian (SEIS, now part of Allianz). Been with them for about 7 years and they have been great. All claims paid out in full, no quibbling. This includes a £4l bill for including covering the full cost of an MRI for my previous horse, a course of Cartrophen and all costs associated with diagnosis and treatment of ulcers in my current horse. Can't fault them :)

ETA : Fixed £150 excess on our SEIS policy

loopylucifer

Visit site
KBIS had one with them and have just moved the other on today which i was quite impressed about as no other insurance company wanted to know as she is a bit 'special'. Wouldn't use NFU any time soon they are not the compsny they once were.

DosyMare

Visit site
I used NFU before and are excellent but expensive.

With my youngster I used Julie Andrews Horse Insurance Services - they found me the best deal for a youngster. I pay £30 a month and NFU quoted me £50.

Julie Andrews is like the Compare the Market for horse insurance.

Also really friendly and prompt.

www.horseinsuranceservices.co.uk

lannerch

Visit site
Yes it certainly is insured my then youngster with seib when I bought him as a 3yo at 4 he developed paralysis ( roaring ) and had to have a hobday and tieback the cost of which ( minus excess ) was met by the insurers.
You never know what is round the corner!

foxy1

Visit site
I got a really good price for a weanling from Stoneways and they didn't ask for a mortality cert. which Petplan and NFU both did

tamsinkb

Visit site
I've not read all replies, but I cannot speak highly enough of Amtrust Equine - sadly I have had LOTS of contact with them over the last 2 years (8 claims from 2 horses) - They pay direct to bank account, are very reasonably priced and are the most understanding people I have ever come across!

dangermouse

Visit site
I am with stoneways, am currently going through claims like there is no tomorrow, so far been brilliant, funded surgery for PSD and further diagnostics including bone scans etc.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I'm with Petplan and just about to have an MRI Scan done on one of mine. Vet advised I might get half the cost from them, but called and the whole thing is covered so I'm really pleased with that. Had NFU in the past, were slow to pay out back in the days when they paid vet directly and caused me no end of grief. Plus their latest premium hikes meant I changed to Petplan almost a year ago. Shame because I'd been with NFU for years but they just aren't competitive any more.

phizzogs

Visit site
I have just moved to pet plan,, pleased so far! Was with Scottish equestrian for 10 years had no problems till last year,, you have to have extra add ons to your policy to be covered for things like remidial shoeing and osteo treatment although referred by the vet as required treatment! Both me and my friend who were both with them ended up with thousands worth of treatment to pay for ourselves! Very annoying as looking into other companies we both would have been covered for these problems within the normal vets fees bracket!

fruity

Visit site
I work at a vets and one of my jobs is dealing with equine insurance companies,i can not rate Petplan highly enough,all of mine are insured through them and although not the cheapest you def get what you pay for.

thundersprite

Visit site
im with pet plan and couldnt recomend them highly enough, they payed neary 5000 when my mare got hepatitis thankfully she recovered and they have just payed for her sarcoid treatmrnt which was on going and lasted a year so thats prob near 500o too and they have been great

Pottermouse

Visit site
NO NO, NFU was Terrible. Can't warn you enough. Was with them for 9 years, and got SLAPPED DOWN so many times, time and again. See my other posts on this, too much to repeat. (I think i also had a very bad local office)I have gone to Petplan, but can't rate them yet.

andlaw

Visit site
I've been with South Essex for 15 years and can't fault them. They are helpful and have paid out quickly on every claim (and there have been quite a few!) with no problems at all.

I've also had other horses with KBIS and Pet Plan, both were good but SEIB is the best by far.

Tammytoo

Visit site
I was with SEIB for 15 years, with 2/3 horses and trailer. Apart from a stolen saddle I was fortunate enough never to have made a claim, yet when I asked for cover for a Blue Cross rescue horse, perfectly fit and healthy as pronounced by their vets (she wasn't a welfare or cruelty case) they asked for a full five star independent vet. examination, despite the market value of the mare being negligible (£750)!

Totally ridiiculous!

happy_talk

Visit site
Had a claim with SEIB who were very good to deal with, excellent communication and quick payment. Unfortunately the exclusion on renewal was too much, so now with KBIS who had a reduced exclusion.

MeganLindsx

Visit site
Im with NFU and recently have claimed and it has been the easiest thing ever! They fill out all the forms for you, contact the vets and you can choose how to pay the excess but i agree, they aren't the cheapest but it is cheaper then my accedent prone dogs insureance!!

imafluffybunny

Visit site
KBIS have been great for me, I lost my expensive dressage horse suddenly and I had a cheque from them in 10 days. I was insured with SEIB before that who were very slow to pay out when I lost another horse to colic, felt they were making excuses why not to pay.

whizzer

Visit site
I've been with petplan for 13 yrs & rate them very highly. (especially as I own a TB who just loves having things wrong with him!) Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

Joeyjojo

Visit site
Another vote for Stoneways here, so far have been excellent at paying out and very helpful/quick at responding to requests regarding whether they will cover certain treatments (bone scan, endoscopy). I posted my claim form and the next day I had an email saying thanks and that they'd arranged payment!!

I went with them because they were a bit cheaper, gave you a discount if you paid by monthly direct debit (saves paying it all up front!) and were underwritten by Allianz (same company as Petplan and KBIS I think). Literally the same T&C's.

I guess I'll know for sure when renewal time comes, but so far I'm massively impressed!!