Can anyone recommend a good horse insurer?

Aliws

New User
Visit site
Hi

I'm currently in the process of looking to renew my horse insurance and I have received a quote from 'Four Counties' which is much lower than all the others - has anyone experience of using this insurance company? Are you able to recommend a good one?

Thanks

Aliws

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
I currently have two mahhhooooosssiiivveee claims going through with NFU and petplan. Both have been fab and generally quick to action anything. The only big difference is that petplan require a claim form with every invoice which has got expensive as every one has had to go to the vets to be verified so a charge of 8.99 each time. Would recommend both though

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site
Friend had a claim go through with NFU, 2 issues with the same leg right at the same time. At 1st they paid out the maximum £5k as if it was 1 condition/issue. After a letter from the vet they quickly paid out the rest, she was very pleased (big bill!)
I have also had 3 claims and am currently putting through 1 more with Stoneways, they've paid up every time and after the 1st form my vet just keeps sending them bills. An MRI scan took 6 months to sort out payment but I never knew about it or stressed. I just found out when it had been paid (it was pre-approved) it was sorted between the vet and Stoneways without either of them bothering me.
I don't know about the company Four Counties. Just check they are not underwritten by E&L if u do chose them, but I'd advise to go with a well known company that people have experience of paying claims easily

my2babys

Visit site
Just a quick heads up, don't touch E&L they don't payout and vets don't like to used them, petplan, nfu, stoneaway, kbis are good too x

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
Don't touch E&L (or any company underwritten by them) with a bargepole!!! I was with them for 10+ years and it took them more than 6 months to settle my first ever claim (for vet's fees), then they refused point blank to settle a second claim (also for vet's fees, same horse but unrelated condition) just over a year later. Eventually I contacted the I ombudsman and funnily enough, E&L suddenly settled the claim in full!! My vets say E&L are the worst for settling claims.

NFU wouldn't insure my horses unless I took out another type of insurance with them.

But AmTrust Equine and KBIS both excellent so far...

thewonderhorse

Visit site
Just a quick heads up, don't touch E&L they don't payout and vets don't like to used them, petplan, nfu, stoneaway, kbis are good too x

I was with E & L but was so put off by the bad feedback from everyone on here i have recently swapped to NFU.

Its a bit more expensive but id rather have peace of mind than be worrying about an insurer with a bad reputation.

Faithkat

Visit site
I'm with KBIS now - very competitive premiums and they have different plans depending on what you do with your horse. I changed from NFU as their premiums rocketed to eye-watering levels despite having been with them for 15 years and not had a claim for nearly 5 years (I think they are trying to get rid of their horse insurance)!!!

Elbie

Visit site
I think Four Counties are a broking firm so your insurance wouldn't be from Four Counties, it would be from another company. I would just check the actual company who will be providing the cover!

Clodagh

Visit site
NFU all the way, they have paid out with no quibble on every claim, are professional to deal with and my quote hasn't increased at all.

Silmarillion

Visit site
Mine are both with Equine Insurance Solutions and they were fab when we had to claim for almost everything with my last horse. She had a tendon injury diagnosed by MRI, multiple 'scopes for nosebleeds, a few vet visits for choke, and eventually we had to claim for colic surgery and then death (we didn't really neglect the poor mare, promise!) They were really good throughout.
I have also had one with (and claimed for surgery to stitch her leg back together) AmTrust. They were very good, too.