can anyone recommend an effective calmer?

magichorse

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a calmer for occasional use for my horse who is generally fine at home but gets really excited and wound up at shows? I'm reluctant to add a supplement to his feed as he's fine at home so was thinking one of the single syringes, or would i be better adding it to his feed? Any thoughts or recommendations welcome. Thanks!

Eggshells

Visit site
I used the Naf magic calmer on mine when I was bringing him off box rest, onto limited turn out and then back into work as he was rather full of himself. It worked a treat for those few weeks. I've heard good things about the magic syringes - think they work esp well if one is given the night before an event as well as on the day.

WelshD

Visit site
I think it depends on the horse, Magic calmers do nothing for mine but the Global Herbs sachet ones do

Ive heard good things about the Oxyshot one but have never tried it

windand rain

Visit site
most only work if the horse is originally magnesium deficient so I would sort that bit first as a single shot isnt going to make a dot of difference if he is truly magnesium deficient He will need a supplement in his diet. He will not gain any benefit from magnesium if he isnt already deficient and Most of the syringes are simply magnesium

Jonesy

Visit site
I've only ever had good results with Relax Me, which isn't a magnesium based calmer. And over the years I have tried a fair few including mares supplements too.

The only thing with relax me is that you need a loading dose rather than a one off shot like the syringes, so would depend on whether you would be happy to feed for say a week before competitions etc.

Might be worth a try though :)

nikanita

Visit site
Have a look at equine science. Their calming cookies are brilliant. You give them 45 mins before riding and last for 3 to 4 hours. If you ring Debbie she will discuss with you what you need and quantities etc. she will even send a sample for you to try before buying a bag. I couldn't believe the results. Well worth a try IMO.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Oxyshot worked well on me, no idea about the horse because I missed when giving it to him.

Note to self, when standing beneath a 17.2h agitated show hunter and putting a syringe in his mouth, shut your own mouth !! No idea what was in it but I was away with the fairies at HOY's 2009 !

Tempralax is useful as a one off.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
I agree, in my personal experience what has worked for one horse hasn't for another. But if oxyshot works for yours it can be great because it seems to kick in very quickly.

Pigeon

Visit site
Tbh not found one that works if they're really freaked! Only exposure (take him to enough shows for them to be boring) and perhaps try lunging him before you set off?