can anyone suggest a stallion for my girl?

SpottyTB

Visit site
Hi all

I need some help! Finally decided this morning that we are probably sending our girl off to stud next year, however, i cant decide on the stallion.. so i would like some suggestions..

My girl is 15.2hh but very finely built, she's polish knabstrupper X Thoroughbred but carries the TB body.. (she's in my album if people want to see her in flesh)
She is also very short backed so i dont want to put her to a stallion who may produce a too bigger foal for her to carry - plus its her first!

Ideally i'd like something that can jump as Gems jumping ability is outstanding so i could in theory get a nice little jumping machine out of her! I dont really want to have another spotty however i think this is un avoidable- but would like a dark coloured stallion anyway - bay/black etc however may consider something else if its really nice!

I live in the South west so something reasonably local too!!
Stud fee isn't a huge issue..

Tea and biscuits if you've managed to get this far.. please help!

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Hi there,

Cant think of any in the South West, but have a look on Google for Brendon Stud (in Sussex), they have lovely jumping stallions.

Also, have a look on the stallions online website- lots of stallions on there, so you should find one for your girl.

Good Luck!

SpottyTB

Visit site
Ok i will do thank you!!!

Also, you may or may not be able to answer this for me.. but im being wise to put her to something smaller than bigger right? i have picked up from some where (cant remember where) that if the stallion is to big the mare will struggle to foal ... is this true?

im particularly worried as she's short backed - which makes her fab at jumping but worries me a lot about carrying the foal - or though have been told she'll carry NO problem!

competitiondiva

Visit site
bigger/smaller doesn't make much difference unless you're talking about extreme differences! build is the main consideration i.e a spindly tb 15 put to a 16.2 heavy cob/draft/shire type you'd be asking for problems as the bulk of the foal will be greater to pass through a small birth canal. Though personally I think a 14hh to a 16.2 of similar build is still tempting fate (own opinion having seen difficult births involving big foals) All I'd say is whatever height stallion you use you need to be happy with the resulting height foal. So if your mare is 15.2 and you use a 15hh stallion and the foal only makes 15hh will that be big enough?? Try to keep like for like, so a 16.1/2 stallion should be fine on a 15.2 mare if the builds are similar or the stallion is lighter built than the mare. If you understand?

Anyway suggestion wise here are a few to look at:

shovern stud, some nice boys there http://www.shovernstud.co.uk/

Dalcotes stud is also in your neck of the woods I believe: http://www.dalcotes.co.uk/

If your looking at ai it opens up more possibilities and I would recommend you look at the boys at meadow, especially cashpoint and donder for jumping ability though they may be a bit big for what you are looking at?. http://www.meadowstud.com/donder.html or talan and vangelis s if you have a bigger budget.

If you'd consider a grey I would highly recommend you look at undercover, not over big at only 16.1 with ability and good breeding: http://www.sport-horse-sales.co.uk/k...tud/printpage/

Or if a coloured then rubicolour is throwing some nice foals, out of 4 or 5 foals I know this year, all bar 1 were coloured and the other is likely to grey out (grey dam): http://www.vagelloron-stud.co.uk/Rubicolor.htm

If looking at appys, whirlwind on here have a few boys!

SpottyTB

Visit site
bigger/smaller doesn't make much difference unless you're talking about extreme differences! build is the main consideration i.e a spindly tb 15 put to a 16.2 heavy cob/draft/shire type you'd be asking for problems as the bulk of the foal will be greater to pass through a small birth canal. Though personally I think a 14hh to a 16.2 of similar build is still tempting fate (own opinion having seen difficult births involving big foals) All I'd say is whatever height stallion you use you need to be happy with the resulting height foal. So if your mare is 15.2 and you use a 15hh stallion and the foal only makes 15hh will that be big enough?? Try to keep like for like, so a 16.1/2 stallion should be fine on a 15.2 mare if the builds are similar or the stallion is lighter built than the mare. If you understand?

Thank you that does help a lot, have decided to only go with TB/ light weight warmblood types as they are simular build to her and to restrict height to 16hh. She was meant to make 16.1hh but due to an awful start in life she has not made anywhere near that height, so perhaps we will end up with a bigger foal anyway due to the height genes.

As for the stallion links, i have most of those sites on my "list" = Thank you very much, you've been a great help! :D

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Ok i will do thank you!!!

Also, you may or may not be able to answer this for me.. but im being wise to put her to something smaller than bigger right? i have picked up from some where (cant remember where) that if the stallion is to big the mare will struggle to foal ... is this true?

im particularly worried as she's short backed - which makes her fab at jumping but worries me a lot about carrying the foal - or though have been told she'll carry NO problem!

If you don't go for anything too heavy, then you could go for one slightly bigger- it depends on what height you'd like the foal to make? I'd suggest no taller than 16.1hh for her first foal.

Most stud owners are very helpful and have experience of dealing with mares of all shapes and sizes, so if they have a selection of stallions, then they can help you choose the best one for your mare.

Also, find a good stud vet who can also help to answer your questions.

dianchi

Visit site
Standard rules are no bigger than one hand, i have a very very fine 15.2hh TB mare, wanted more chunky compact mare. For me there was only one choice, Irish Draught-
I went with www.avantistud.com
Super star boy! Very well written up about after the Stallion Parade at Addington this year, although competing dressage mainly now, has one huge pop in him! Def already in my foal as she popped the 4ft electric fence the other day and is only 2 1/2 months old!

Biggest recomendations i can give is make sure you go and physically meet the stallion, see offspring of similar crosses to what you are doing, and make sure you get a good repro vet for the work!

MollyLaraMillie

New User
Visit site
What about Trevoulter Barton Stud?
They are mostly geared up to showjumpers and they have a Welsh section D X that is quite fine but about 14.2h.
All their stallions are real gentlemen.