can anyone tell me about irap therapy?

pennyh

Visit site
i have googled it & briefly spokn to my vet whilst he was at the yard doing teeth & jabs , so i know the basics & mechanics

i am interested in a horse that has had the treatment for slight degenerative changes , i am told the horse was not lame but not performing as well

does anyone have any experience of it that they can give me the benefit of?

would it put you off buying a horse? what sort of price reduction would you expect on normal market value because of it ? (bear in mind the horse is performing well) i am aware that the treatment can cost upto £1000 & would budget for the possibility of retreatment but basically don't want to end up saddled with a horse that cost me quite alot to purchase that ultimately becomes unsuitable for purpose in the near future ( older horse , i will struggle on ins cover)

thanks

merlinsquest

Visit site
I can tell you my experience but would be easier if you rang.... pm me if you want a chat and I will put my number down for you.... or look back at my early posts and read them..

tillyd

Visit site
It depends completely on what you want to do with the horse to be honest.
As you know, IRAP is used to treat conditions which by their nature are going to get worse. More than likely, from what you say, its going to degenerate over years not months, and it's very likely the horse will still have many useful years ahead of it, but it's whether you are confident its going to be able to do what you want it to.
I am in a similar position with my horse - I had planned to sell her after bringing her on, but I won't ever sell her now because it wouldn't be fair on her.
PM if you want any more info on the specifics of IRAP and will try to help!

Hullabaloo

Visit site
My horse has just had IRAP therapy, but in his case for soft tissue damage so probably less relevant to your case. He is doing well but was only treated in Oct so a bit soon to talk about long term effects (my fingers are still crossed).
Merlin's Quest was really helpful when my horse had his treatment so it would be worth taking her up on her offer of a chat.
You're welcome to PM me too if you think I can help.

pennyh

Visit site
thanks guys , off to do my pm's now
smile.gif