Can anyone tell me if the Myler Combination Bit is PC legal?

billylula

Visit site
I've checked the rules and it says no rope nosebands but no specific mention of the myler...

I know it used to be illegal but not sure if things have changed.

Shay

Visit site
Depends on what you want to do. Certainly not in dressage or mounted games. The SJ rules do still state "The use of string twine or cord in or around the horse's mouth is forbidden" But I'm not sure I would regard the cord part of the noseband in a myler combi as necessarily falling foul of that. The noseband provisions still prohibit a chain or rope noseband - but the Combi doesn't have that either. The active part of the noseband is leather.

Because the rules are silent I would suggest approaching HQ and asking them. Then laminate their reply and take it with you. Tack checkers are only volunteers and not many will have seen a combi. We use one at home for training - but not to compete so I've not faced this one yet!

Bryndu

Visit site
I've checked the rules and it says no rope nosebands but no specific mention of the myler...

I know it used to be illegal but not sure if things have changed.

Hi,
You cannot use it for dressage..or the dressage phase of Horse Trials....but you can use it for anything else...even an 8 year old could use one....and in the wrong hands..with the wrong instruction.....it is a disaster going to happen...but hey ...what do I know...the Pony Club knows far more than the rest of the equestrian world.....apologies for the rant on your post.....not in any way shape or form aimed at you :)

old hand

Visit site
Combination bits are not allowed in BS pony show jumping competitions so I doubt they are allowed for Pony Club, I would ask your District Commissioner, who will be able to check with Head Office if necessary.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Depends on what you want to do. Certainly not in dressage or mounted games. The SJ rules do still state "The use of string twine or cord in or around the horse's mouth is forbidden" But I'm not sure I would regard the cord part of the noseband in a myler combi as necessarily falling foul of that. The noseband provisions still prohibit a chain or rope noseband - but the Combi doesn't have that either. The active part of the noseband is leather.

Because the rules are silent I would suggest approaching HQ and asking them. Then laminate their reply and take it with you. Tack checkers are only volunteers and not many will have seen a combi. We use one at home for training - but not to compete so I've not faced this one yet!

I think the cord thing relates to tongue ties
There is no mention that combination bits cannot be used
' Nosebands - only one may be worn unless using a Standing Martingale with a
combination, kineton, drop noseband or similar in which case the addition of a
cavesson is allowed. Nosebands must be correctly fitted and should not cause
discomfort'

the above would suggest a combination bit is permitted.

billylula

Visit site
Thank you!

I think i will check directly with HQ

Bryndu - daughter is 17 and horse is 16.2 - she has tried the combination under the expert eye of instructor - she competes for her PC :)

Shay

Visit site
Check with HQ. I think Ester is right that the rules suggest they should be allowed. I know we have trained BS with the Combi and no-one suggested it wasn't competition legal. But we are now eventing so the issue never came up.

old hand

Visit site
I am sorry I didn't realise it was a horse. They run the showjumping under BS Rules so I would imagine it is not allowed for a 148 and under and allowed for a horse bigger than 148. Sounds daft but that is the BS Rule. We had a pony that jumped in a hackamore with special dispensation for veterinary reasons but they will not allow that now as they consider them too severe for juniors, I was surprised when they said that a combination bit was not allowed either as they are usually milder.

AnShanDan

Visit site
Thank you!

I think i will check directly with HQ

Bryndu - daughter is 17 and horse is 16.2 - she has tried the combination under the expert eye of instructor - she competes for her PC :)

Def. ask HQ, and if possible get it in writing if you are planning to compete at area/championships. The last thing you want is to be held up by a tack steward in the collecting ring who isn't sure of the rule either and if you can produce a document it will be a lot simpler and less stressful (speaking from personal experience here)!

Shay

Visit site
Totally agree -and I tack check at nationals! PC SJ is not fully under BS rules - although it follows some of them. Some Hackamores are permitted - one type isn't. And there are no different rules based on height of horse / pony or age of rider. The youngest rider on the smallest pony - or the tallest horses - can use the same tack as the 25 year old.