Can anyone tell me please...

barkinghorse

Visit site
Why ported bits are not allowed in Dressage?
I would have thought that the comfort of the horse would be priority?
My horse has a very long tongue and a "traditional" bit doesn't suit him.
Does this mean my Dressage has come to an end before i have even got started?
Jo xx

barkinghorse

Visit site
A Myler low port egbutt snaffle,
After 18mths of trying different bits and instructors, my new trainer suggested this bit and i have never looked back. I don't want to put him back in a normal snaffle if i don't have to as he is uncomfortable in it.
Jo xx

Judie

Visit site
ooh had to look that one up!

I've just checked the BD rule book and there is one in there, a snaffle with rotating mouthpiece but not a port. I thought I read somewhere they were allowing some of the Myler's, would it be worth giving them a call. Have the Neue Schule range got anything, I think they have become BD legal.

Which other bits have you tried?

barkinghorse

Visit site
Here goes...
Waterford snaffle
jointed snaffle
french link
Wilkie snaffle
dutch gag
Happy mouth loose ring
Key bit
Baucher half cheek
Twisted snaffle
straight bar snaffle and a vulcanite pelham.
I have looked on the website for Dressage legal bits but none are ported..
Jo xx

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
I really feel for you having had similar problems in the past myself. I'm a huge Myler fan and have seen many horses go markedly better when put in one.

My only suggestion to you would be to get a normal Myler comfort snaffle, which is BD legal, and ride in that when you compete. It doesn't have the port but everything else is the same (taste, reward for softening etc) and you can still do all your schooling in your ported Myler. Not ideal but probably your best solution until BD relent and allow ported bits - I'm sure they will one day as they seem to keep allowing more and more

seaofdreams

Visit site
My mare loves her Myler bit to but for dressage i had to go and get her the dressage legal one, but it turned out she liked that one even more!!
i agree with you though you should be able to compete in what your horse is happy/comftable in as long as there working properly and not just being pulled into a shape (if that makes sence?)
Hx