Can anyone tell me what Stowbridge near Kings Lynn is like?

maidendale

Visit site
We are looking to move closer to family in the Kings Lynn area and have seen an advert for somewhere in The Causeway, Stowbridge near Downham Market. Does anyone have any idea what it's like as an area? Is it good for horsey activities? Any red flags that we should know about?

Thank you.

Pokokat

Visit site
Used to live just down the road in Watlington. Not a bad area when I was there, not terribly horsey but there is a few bits going on. H & C Bearts at Stowbridge will be able to tell you more - tack shop and feed place.

Bede

Visit site
It's on the edge of The Fens so pretty flat; probably a bit dull if good hacking is important to you- although I think there was a riding by permit scheme going on at Bexwell ( which is pretty close) a couple of years ago. Thetford Forest is a short box ride away as is Forest Edge EC which does BS,BD and all unaff stuff. Holkham beach is probably an hourish away.

I'm sure the current owners of the place you are interested in would be happy to tell you more. Or is there any chance of staying with your family in KL for a couple of days and doing a recce? Good luck!

maidendale

Visit site
Yes, we can do that Bede, thanks for the info. We like to carriage drive as well as hack, so flat is good.

It's not a part of the country we know at all, so need to do a lot of research before taking the plunge!

Autumn sonnet

Visit site
I live just up the road in the next village , with the horses at home , and I love it . You've got Bearts on the causeway itself , bridle way at either end , one of which leads onto the Fen rivers way , and will take you for miles and miles in either direction , and in fact joins onto the bridleways round our village . Hay is gorgeous round there and local farmers will deliver in bulk to you . My village which is about 2 miles away although it has no shops , schools or pub , has a vet , horse box company , hay and straw delivery , a dressage trainer , and the best farrier for miles around is my neighbour ! Only thing I would say is it can get incredibly cold if it's windy in the winter , because it's so flat . You've got events every so often up at the Magpie Centre at Wallington Hall which is the RDA place about two miles off , and we also go to Forest Edge over at Swaffham , Ely eventing centre at Little downham , and do local shows over Wisbech way . People are in the main , very friendly - we got adopted on our first night ! Oh and two very nice pubs in staggering distance , and a fantastic butchers . pM if you need any more info !

maidendale

Visit site
That sounds great, thank you Sonnet. Haven't gone for the one that's for sale as the acreage is a bit small, but good to know we can add the village to our search area.