Can anyone tell me why my horse does this travelling

andytiger

Visit site
Hi my horse always loads and is as good as gold travelling to competitions you hardly know he's on the horsebox 3.5 tonne rear facing he stands on the Lorry eats his hay perfect until it comes to travelling home he's s nightmare he rocks back and forwards and kicks the back of the box a few weeks ago he actually put his foot through the box
Nothing changes he has same amount of space make sure he has plenty of hay and ventilation the only thing we can think it is is that he's impatient to get home it doesn't matter if the journey is for 10 mins or half an hour he's still the same he has done this since we had him I just wish I could figure out why or is it just a quirk that I have to accept 😕
I just thought I'd ask you lovely people if you had experanced similar

be positive

Visit site
I have had the odd one get stressy traveling home if they have not peed all day and really need to go, make sure he has some bedding in the box so he can go if he has to.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi my horse always loads and is as good as gold travelling to competitions you hardly know he's on the horsebox 3.5 tonne rear facing he stands on the Lorry eats his hay perfect until it comes to travelling home he's s nightmare he rocks back and forwards and kicks the back of the box a few weeks ago he actually put his foot through the box
Nothing changes he has same amount of space make sure he has plenty of hay and ventilation the only thing we can think it is is that he's impatient to get home it doesn't matter if the journey is for 10 mins or half an hour he's still the same he has done this since we had him I just wish I could figure out why or is it just a quirk that I have to accept ��
I just thought I'd ask you lovely people if you had experanced similar
Yes I have- I had my lorry a few years with no issues. when I decided to upgrade the chassie to a newer one it ended up higher on the back, ramp steeper etc. I always travel my mare in the middle in the back but when taking two she ended up in the first one and in traveling started to kick the living wall very low down though and she had never done this before and had traveled in the first as well.

So next time we put livery in the first one and she did same, my mares son didn't do it. All we could think of is on changing the chassi the horse part was maybe on a part of the chassie they had not been over before s we did chop some of the chassi off as it was too long for the body.

Why don't you have someone drive round the farm and you go in the back where the horse goes and see if something shows up??

Puddleduck

Visit site
This might sound daft but it could be something as simple as he desperately needs a wee after his day out and is trying to show his discomfort as he's not confident or comfortable relieving himself on the lorry.
I've recently started taking my gelding out, he loads great both ways and travels nicely, I have a camera in the back and have noticed that he is more fidgety on the way home although doesn't kick or make much fuss, he whinnies a lot and looks out of the Windows. Unloading he is quite quick, not keen to stand still, he just wants to get into his stable to have a big wee straight away.
My trainer has a horse who also would not wee on the lorry or at a show and he too used to display fidgety travelling behaviour on the way home because he was desperate to wee but didn't feel he could until he was home.

Chumsmum

Visit site
Agree with them needing a wee but not wanting to do it on the lorry (even if bedding in there). I have trained my gelding that after a competition / lesson I stand him on long grass to encourage him to have a wee before going back on lorry, massive difference in the way he travels back home now.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Impatience.

Fig kicks and kicks and kicks, even when stationary with the engine off. But having travelled internationally on a number of occasions he ain't scared lol!

Hobbles are the answer for mine. Better that that than broken lorry or worse, broken horse. Fig was lucky to walk away after putting both feet through rubber, marine ply, aluminum and glass into the cab.