Can/does white sclera ('piggy eye'?)pigment more as they mature?

Kallibear

Visit site
I'd like the answer to be yes, please!

Roo's eye looks like this. I've heard it called 'piggy eye'.
305001_10152159656930437_1185956339_n.jpg

It's the only thing I'd change about him really. His left eye sclera is partially pigmented but his right eye is almost completely white. However I think it might be getting less obvious and, with lots of wishful thinking, it may be pigmenting more? Maybe, hopefully?

And what causes it? Roo is chestnut with flaxen mane and tail and a getting progressively more roaning through his body. He's pure ID x TB with no appy that you normally see white eyes with.

texas

Visit site
Sorry, nope. I've a grey section a with an eye like this. Oddly she does have a little brown blob in the white on her right eye.

StormyMoments

Visit site
our youngster has this (we have owned her since she was 2 years old she is 5 next year) and it does seem to be getting less obvious. i dont think it will go but it isnt as in your face now. Our vet said it was because her sire was a coloured with wall eyes and her dam was a bay with brown eyes but had wall eyes in her lines so it was just a throw back from that. so she has a brown eye with the pink/white around it :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
No - they stay like that. It's also called a 'human eye' which is a pretty good description as we have white scleras.

I was once told by an arabian breeder that it's a sign of good breeding - but that's probably an old wives tale rather than accurate. ;)

ETA - you can just see CM's white sclera here. Her other eye has a brown sclera, but the grey and my gelding have white scleras on both eyes.

Carrietwentyfour.jpg

Last edited:

ImmyS

Visit site
My thoroughbred has one 'piggy' eye... She is now 6 and it is still just as prominent, I'm just used to it and don't notice it as much now. I used to want to change it as well but I've grown to love it - it's a great indicator of emotion, I think it gives them character x your boy is gorgeous just the way he is!

Lolo

Visit site
Tango has piggy eyes, but I reckon they just add to the overall 'desperate to please' look he's got going on :D

I think, as long as the horse isn't piggy, they're cute...

Kallibear

Visit site
Sorry, nope. I've a grey section a with an eye like this. Oddly she does have a little brown blob in the white on her right eye.

Poo :(

our youngster has this (we have owned her since she was 2 years old she is 5 next year) and it does seem to be getting less obvious. i dont think it will go but it isnt as in your face now. Our vet said it was because her sire was a coloured with wall eyes and her dam was a bay with brown eyes but had wall eyes in her lines so it was just a throw back from that. so she has a brown eye with the pink/white around it :)

I also think Roo's is less obvious but maybe it is because I'm used to it now but hoping not He's got no wall eyes or coloured in his pedigree BUT his uncle (RID) has a paler sclera than normal. (light freckled brown rather than almost black)

No - they stay like that. It's also called a 'human eye' which is a pretty good description as we have white scleras.

I was once told by an arabian breeder that it's a sign of good breeding - but that's probably an old wives tale rather than accurate. ;)

ETA - you can just see CM's white sclera here. Her other eye has a brown sclera, but the grey and my gelding have white scleras on both eyes.

Carrietwentyfour.jpg

oh no, no, no, Roo doesnt need ANY more suggestions he's arabian. He already does the tail over the back and dancing around, dragon snorting. But I like the 'well bred' suggestion ;) :D

No but you get used to it and forget :D

Hum, thats what I suspected but I'm going to take another picture to check.

My thoroughbred has one 'piggy' eye... She is now 6 and it is still just as prominent, I'm just used to it and don't notice it as much now. I used to want to change it as well but I've grown to love it - it's a great indicator of emotion, I think it gives them character x your boy is gorgeous just the way he is!

Again, poo. But thanks. He is very expressive and a right sook. But I still don't like it after 18months. :eek:

Tango has piggy eyes, but I reckon they just add to the overall 'desperate to please' look he's got going on :D

I think, as long as the horse isn't piggy, they're cute...

I'd call it 'gormless' rather than 'desperate to please' look :eek: But he has 'cute' by the bucket load,

In true HHO style: one answer I like out of 6+ therefore means I can be happy in the knowledge that I've heard what I want. Right? *Goes off to look up Eyeball Tattooing*

Thistle

Visit site
I bred a brown eyed bay with a stripe and 3 white socks to a brown eyed dark bay with just a tiny star, black legs.

I got a bright bay with a huge star/splodge, both eyes with white sclera and 4 white socks.