Can horses be kept alone?

GlamourPuss86

Visit site
My lad lived alone happily.

When we moved to a yard he stood at the gate wanting to come in or stood as far away from everything else as possible.

Some horses cope well alone, some don't.

catroo

Visit site
Stay put - I don't think it's wise for a new horse owner to go it alone even if they are an experienced horse rider, you can't beat experience. Yes some people will be annoying but having experienced horse owners around means you'll learn more and have some one to answer any questions you have. Most people learn about horse care through watching others rather than formal training and even if you know how to do something you quite often pick up hints and tips. When I was at my last livery yard there was a lovely new owner who decided to take her horse off livery and have it in a field at home. I bumped into her at Sainsburys a few months later and asked how things were going, turns out horse had been put down, it had got colic but she didn't realise until it was too late and by the time the vet arrived there was nothing they could do, this and her vet pointing out to her the dangerous plants and the oak tree made her realise she didn't know enough to go it alone.

In answer to the title - some people do keep alone but IMO it's cruel, just because some accept it doesn't make it right. Quite often it's the good natured ones who don't give outwards signs of distress that suffer the most. I hate it when people say 'they love human company', of course they do - if their alone it's their only company! Very selfish

Magic mummy

Visit site
Thank you all for replying I understand the reasons why she can't be alone and the last thing I would want in an unhappy horse! At the moment there is only 3 in her field and she is left alone sometimes for a whole weekend as the other two regularly go to shows and ride out together. A friend of mine has suggested she moves her horse to be with mine ( if I decide to take property) this would mean she will then have company like with everything I have read that two horses together can also cause problems any views on two living together? Thanks

IAmCrazyForHorses

Visit site
Horses get very stressed when left on their own. Could you perhaps get a Shetland or even a Falabella? A small pony that you don't need to ride and doesn't cost as much? It would be good company for your pony and I'm sure you would be good friends with the other one as well! :)

JLD

Visit site
my boy is fine on his own - he is not alone by my choice but situation dictates - however there are horses in the field next door that he can see and talk to although they mostly ignore each other now having done alot of bonding in the first 2 months, and he also has alpacas for company one of which shares his haynets and does mutual grooming with him. where he was before he had equine company but very little human contact and did next to nothing and was quite bullied in the field . he is actually a far more relaxed and chilled pony then he was before but that may be because he is doing more.

Tiffany

Visit site
I think some horses do adapt to living alone although in the wild it wouldn't be natural. My girl is ok on her own if she can see other horses around her but, left totally on her own and she gets very upset so, I don't put her in that situation any more.