can horses eat chopped maize?

Ibblebibble

Visit site
Farmer asked me today if horses can eat the chopped maize that he feeds the cattle, i have no idea if they can:confused:
Have tried googling but can't seem to find a yay or nay. seems it might be used in the USA but not sure if they mean the same stuff .
Just interested if anyone knows.:)

Fii

Visit site
Maize is incredibly hard, cows have the stomachs to cope with it horses dont, so i would imagine the answer is no!

zoelouisem

Visit site
You can buy maize for horses from the feed merchants, but wouldnt know the difference. The stuff you can get from the feed merchants looks like corn flakes and is very very good for weight gain, its also very high energy would feed this over oats any day for energy used to use it when working with hunters.

Fii

Visit site
You can buy maize for horses from the feed merchants, but wouldnt know the difference. The stuff you can get from the feed merchants looks like corn flakes and is very very good for weight gain, its also very high energy would feed this over oats any day for energy used to use it when working with hunters.

Maize for cows is cut and "chipped" (for want of a better word) whole (the whole plant) and kept in a clamp! Quite a lot different to flaked maize!