Can horses eat cucumber?

Limbo1

Visit site
And most other veg? I know about swede, carrot apples and pears. Any reason they can't eat other veg? Not potatoes

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have one that absolutely loves banana. He turns his nose up to most other more regular treats though! Hates apples and will eat chopped carrot in a feed but would never take one from my hand! Weirdo!

flirtygerty

Visit site
My old boy used to eat the flesh of a banana and spit out the skin, now he eats the lot, he also nibbles biscuits, I couldn't poison him, try something new and he will take it, spit it out for a look then decide wether to eat it

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I thought you had to be a bit careful with Brassicas.

One of mine loves cucumber, fennel, celery and celeriac went down very well the other day. Fruit favourites are banana including skins, watermelon, peaches, dates and very overripe pears. I also offered some corn on the cob thinking he'd just eat the corn but he ate the hard inside as well. Oranges are funny to watch as he bites the whole thing so juice flies everywhere then sucks the juice out noisily leaving the skin.

A lot of these are quite sugary but he has them very occasionally in small amounts. Bananas I take one up to the yard for myself and give them the skin when I've eaten it.

catroo

Visit site
My boys get most types of fruit and veg, one absolutely loves kiwis so that is special treat time. Bananas are always skin on.

Occasionally they get a whole watermelon, only one knows how to get into it so they all crowd around and wait for him to split it before grabbing a piece and running off

Goldenstar

Visit site
I saw that, so funny I was lol ing, then asked my daughter to try her cat with a cucumber, still waiting for the result

I watched it for the first time earlier this evening it's hilarious what do they think they are ?
I am defiantly buying a cucumber next time I am out and about .

Limbo1

Visit site
Thanks well the pony had his usual apple cores and carrot peelings as well as a couple of over ripe blueberries and the end of a cucumber. Seemed to enjoy them.

Dubsie

Visit site
Our mare likes bananas, whole. New Forest likes oranges. Whole. Mare won't touch them. He adores raspberries, blackberries including the leaves. He doesn't like parsnips but the arab x does. The NF also likes coffee with sugar, we have to hide the cup.

Nessa4

Visit site
Mine love sprouts! Doesn't seem to have done them any harm? Also like any other brassica (lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli). As a special treat the occasional banana (with skin on).

I used to give my old lad bananas, but he didn't like the skins so he nipped the end off, sucked the flesh out and lay the skin neatly at the side of the feed bucket!!

LilacWillow

Visit site
I first found out my gelding liked bananas when I was riding on the road and there was a bit of banana lying on the ground... when we reached it, he stretched his head down to 'itch' his hoof (yeah, I know it was just an excuse to put his head down to eat) and gobbled up the banana... he'd never even had it before! Luckily, the nightmare of worming him has been made much easier now, I just squirt his wormer inside a banana and he doesn't even notice! (but he knows if it's in any other kind of food!!) I tried some banana with my new mare and she just looked at it like she had no idea what it was, she won't even try it! My boy will drink anything as well - tea, coffee, orange juice, lemonade, coca cola. If he sees someone drinking or eating something, he wants it. Only thing he's ever spat out was some cake!

fankino04

Visit site
My old ex racer wouldn't even eat carrots when I got, some time later and she would chase you round the stable to get your cheese and tomato pizza and pineapple bacardi breezer 😁

Last edited:

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
My old ex racer wouldn't even eat carrots when I got, some time later and she would chase you round the stable to get your cheese and tomato pizza and pineapple bacardi breezer ��

In my mind's image, you are a very strange owner, not many go in to the stable with pizza and bacardi, each to his own.........

AppyLover

Visit site
I tried my boy on a banana i found it left in his feed bowl the next day he wasn't impressed. We also tried him and the Mare on Kiwis he took one bite spat it out and looked at me like "What the hell did you just try and give me mum this was supposed to be a treat?"

They get carrots and parsnips in their feed each night and the occasional apple if my mum's given me any from their garden and she also buys them swedes every weekend :)

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Our old grey loved watermelon. We'd stick a whole one in the paddock and he'd paw at it until it broke open and then practically bath in the remainder.

Very funny until you had to scrub sticky watermelon and dirt out of his coat.

Cobbytype

Visit site
My Dad told me that when he worked as a collier (many, many years ago), the pit ponies were fed cucumber if they got a bit fresh; it was meant to calm them down a little.

Annagain

Visit site
Mine and share horse eat all sorts. I save all the veg peelings (not potato) from Sunday dinner for them and they like all sorts of fruit. Nectarine is Archie's favourite, he pulls such funny faces as he sucks the juice out of them and Monty loves a tangerine. They both love bananas but it took a bit of perseverance to get A to eat them at first.

Friend's new pony (we look after the 3 between us) is proving more fussy. He'll lick all his feed (grass chaff) off cauliflower leaves but won't actually eat them and turns his nose up at banana. He seems to only want carrot, parsnip, swede and apples, nothing else will do!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I'm thinking a watermelon might be fun for my boy who's currently on restricted turnout! ALthough, he'll probably never figure it out!