Can horses eat hay through Dinky Muzzles?

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Desperately trying to use winter to slim down a fatty or two, but one had to go out with the cobbler (who is sleek and does not need slimming at all) over night (9pm-6am) at present still have plenty of grass but soon will need to put some hay out over night for cobbler and dont want the fatty to scoff the lot and undo all his dieting.

Wondering if he could eat some hay through his dinky muzzle? It's not one with the single hole in bottom so guess he will be able to get some hay but not as much as without? There will of course still be some grass for him to eat in his muzzle as well.

Anyone tried it?

chaps89

Visit site
I don't know about the dinky muzzled but mine manages find through a shires one, although she does get frustrated so I'd introduce carefully and ideally do it during the day to start to keep an eye on things.

MissTyc

Visit site
My cob can eat hay in his greenguard but struggles with the dinky. Maybe spend some time teaching your pony to do it before the hay goes out?

oldie48

Visit site
Fatty has managed to partially destroy his so the opening is bigger than it should be, he has no trouble eating hay in it. He has a dinky and he'll continue to wear it when out over the winter.