Can horses get hiccups?

Cop-Pop

Visit site
As the title says really. I walked past a field of horses and one of them was making hiccup noises. The owner was there so I mentioned it and she said he often does it and wasn't worried. I've never heard a horse making hiccup noises before, so I wondered if they could get them??

faerie666

Visit site
Yes, they can.
smile.gif
Mine gets them all the time, it's quite funny to watch actually.
laugh.gif
He also burps after he's been swimming
grin.gif

SnowandSunshine

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Theyre generally a sign of stress

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting! I have only ever seen my horse do it on the first couple of days when he's moved to a new yard. I took it as a sign he was anxious/on edge.

pinktiger

Visit site
a horse i had once 2 show in hand got a bout of em when @ first show, bless, i was just stood with my mouth open wondering what on earth was happening to him (think my face was a picture), when the judge came over and said it was horsey hiccups and not to worry!!!!

ajf

Visit site
Titus used to do them when he was younger and a bit nervous/stressed. Hasn't done them for absolutely ages though. He used to shake his head in annoyance (sp?) after each one, use to laugh at the poor lil chap

Drummer

Visit site
My horse had them once when he was on anti b's after having a bad reaction to some arnica and witch hazel gel. I was like 'ahhhhhhhh whats he doing?' I was so worried as he is a tough cookie really but my yo was like 'he has hiccups' so that makes sense now about being sue to stressy situations.