Can horses jump safely unshod?

CAH7

Visit site
Any advice very welcome! My 5 yr old is shod in front, has good quality horn but quite flat feet, improving all the time with good farriery. He is proving a bit slow to mature, still quite big and gangly, still falling flat on his face occasionally! Plan to go xc schooling, WH etc on good ground - does he need shoes? Have always in past shod all round and used studs whenever jumping on grass, but is he better with or without? Any suggestions gratefully received!! Thank you!!

TarrSteps

Visit site
A friend of mine pretty much never put back shoes on his horses until they were going the equivalent of Novice.
smile.gif
I've shown and jumped unshod horses before - it depends on the horse and the circumstances. I prefer not to shoe horses while they're being started so lots of them get to at least the initial jumping stages without.

For a bit of schooling, so long as he is comfortable without the shoes generally and the ground is forgiving, you should be fine. And afterwards you'll have more information so will know if he needs to have shoes to do more.

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
My first pony who i loaned was unshod and she was a cracking little jumper, would turn on a sixpence and for some reason she seemed to 'grip' the ground better than any horse i've ridden with shoes. Perhaps it was because she was only 13.2. But i would say he will be fine.

CAH7

Visit site
Ooh lovely, good news! Thanks ever so, TarrSteps and Sarahsum1. It's all new to me, but happy to give it a go now!

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ooh lovely, good news! Thanks ever so, TarrSteps and Sarahsum1. It's all new to me, but happy to give it a go now!

[/ QUOTE ]

You will know if he is coping alright. If i think about it, i have known a few horses that have been without back shoes and have jumped fine. Good luck
smile.gif

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
We jumped a 1.10 with a 1.20 jump off on grass, unshod and got placed. Very good conditions underfoot I have to say, but the pressure is sometimes put on by others for shoes and studs. We don't do enough to warrant it IMO and ATM have just fronts on them all. Mostly ride on surfaces anyway!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
My last two cobs were competed up to 3'6 SJ and 3' XC shod at the front only. One notorious day they each lost a front shoe but as we were to be jumping on fen ground we took them anyway and they each won two classes.

My little AA mare started her BE career unshod but she did have a fall and so we made the decision to shoe her so that she could have studs fitted.

Last year was the first year that I have owned or used studs and that was due to my daughter's dressage trainer expressing shock and horror at our plans to take our very big long mare to do dressage on grass in a 20 x 40. We were sent out to buy studs straight away and get her shoes changed for ones with stud holes.

HazellB

Visit site
I've hunted, jumped and done some one day LDR's on totally unshod animals. In fact, thinking about it, I last saw a farrier when I had some shoes taken off a new arrival about twelve years ago ....

Only problem I ever had was on a 13.3 (I'm 5ft 2) out Hunting on long riverbank grass. He slipped twice at speed, but regained his footing fine. He also jumped and all sorts under me, topheavy as we were, and I don't remember us sliding about any other time.

Before the twelve years, I think we had one shod (maybe two) that slipped on the roads thanks to large flat feet and our over-worn local back lanes.

See how it goes. Given the choice, I'd say go unshod as much as possible and only think about shoes if you need them rather than want them.

MegaBeast

Visit site
Should be okay. Maybe not so advisable in a jump off if you're going for time but avoid sharp turns and see how he's feeling. I'm sure you'll be taking it steady anyway as he's green so listen to how he feels and see how you get on

CAH7

Visit site
Great, thanks everyone for top tips and advice!! We're only doing baby stuff, and as you say, worth a try, see how he goes, and if he struggles, I can always put them back on!

khemoy

New User
Visit site
Depends on the horse, and the composition of the hoof. If you are not "hoof savy" Ask your Farrier/black smith if he/she thinks your horse's feet are able to stand up to it. Also be sure to tell them the type of footing you will be jumping in, such as turf, field, sand....etc. I have 3 jumpers, 2 of which go barefoot better than shod!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Yes with the clydesdales and gypsy cobs - both for XC and SJ but not huge heights - 2'3 - 2'6 XC. I jump 2'9 - 3' on Stinky but this is on surfaces.

If the ground is very hard, I don't jump, end of and my gypsy cobs are sure footed and whilst I have had a couple of slips in the show ring - but I was not alone, they get themselves sorted.

Farra is rising 6, and exactly as your youngster, big girl - just over 16.2, still rather gangly and unbalanced but this year she is starting to show signs of improvement as she grows stronger and matures.

CAH7

Visit site
Thanks v much researchfortruth and Theresa_F, farrier due in 2 weeks so will have a word and see how we go.

Kallibear

Visit site
Just don't buy into the 'foot can't cope the stressed of jumping without shoes on' rubbish. There are plenty of people (and farriers!) who will tell you that.

The bare foot is SO much better equiped to deal with the stress and shocks of jumping barefoot. They don't crack and splint under the strain (as someone once told me) and their shock absorbtion through their frogs are miles better.

The only problem is the inability to attatch studs to barefoot. I've found that barefoot horses are just as good (often better) then normally shod horses, but anyone with any sense will admit it can't beat studs. Mind you studs themselves can cause damage by not allowing that little bit of sliding needed to absorb shock. You can buy hood boot studs but I wouldn't want to go XC in boots.

None of my horses are shod and jump fine barefoot both on surfaces and grass.

CAH7

Visit site
Thanks Kallibear. We are only going to be jumping up to 90cm at the moment, and I would only jump on good going. I'm used to a full set of shoes and studs all round, but have never been happy about the potential damage studs can do. I am pretty sure he'd be better off unshod than shod in terms of grip, stress and strain but as you say, we'd be limited then on when and where we jump. I guess that's fine though, and is worth a try anyway! Thanks for the advice.
smile.gif

rocketdog69

Visit site
My horse has been shoeless for over 12 months now. I screamed round a few HT with him last year and also did some showjumping and to be honest, I had more grip. I wouldnt worry about jumping without shoes at all, its putting shoes on horses that makes them slip!