Can I ask a really dense question about Seasons please?

janem_g

Visit site
Good Morning

not being hugely experienced and only ever owning dogs we now have a little terrier bitch in the family. She belongs to my daughter and they won’t live here forever but do for now. She is 5 months old and I own an entire 6 year old dog. Daughter has asked about early spay but I’m not very keen. Im waiting a call back to talk about chemical castration. I’m very worried she will come into season and I won’t be quick enough. Will my dog know before we do? It’s no problem to separate them etc.
what should we look out for, any early indicators?

thankyou

Bellasophia

Visit site
My small schnauzer came into season at six months..I also have a large male poodle who definitely knew she was coming in at least a month before...he would..obsessively wash her head,sniff her behind,follow her when she weed outside to check her odors..you get the idea.
We separated them throughout the three week season,and it was really hard on himShe was spayed three months after the end of her season.
I felt six months was too young to spay and wanted her to have at least one season to mature a little.If it weren’t a mix sex household I would have preferred her to have a second season before her spay.
If you want the pup to have at least one season I would recommend separate homes if possible in this time..she was as keen to get to him as he to her in the middle of the season..My male howled for her and sometimes refused to eat..he was on a different floor with my hub ,never left alone ,but he found the experience really stressful.( as did we)

Moobli

Visit site
If you want to delay the spay (and I personally wouldn't spay a dog of any size before they have matured) then I can recommend the Suprelorin implant for your dog. You can get a six or twelve month implant but it can take up to six weeks before it is fully effective so you would want to have it done in good time. My dog had the 12 month implant, but in reality it lasted about 15 months and is wearing off now, so I need to make the decision whether to neuter him, implant him again or spay my bitch.

janem_g

Visit site
If you want to delay the spay (and I personally wouldn't spay a dog of any size before they have matured) then I can recommend the Suprelorin implant for your dog. You can get a six or twelve month implant but it can take up to six weeks before it is fully effective so you would want to have it done in good time. My dog had the 12 month implant, but in reality it lasted about 15 months and is wearing off now, so I need to make the decision whether to neuter him, implant him again or spay my bitch.
Thankyou, this is the way i'm leaning. Did it take away the desire as well as the ability?

Moobli

Visit site
Thats great to hear

I only have experience of it in my own dog though, so it is definitely worth speaking to your vet about possible changes in behaviour / still having the desire etc, but for me it was well worth the money and there have been no down sides to it.