Can I ask what you do with your 2 yrs olds.

BBH

Visit site
Just in general really in preparation for adulthood.

We have done a few bits with her ie, she's seen traffic, been to a couple of local shows where she was a star.

Is it two yrs old where you would start to bit her and do some long lining perhaps. She's a cob x and very chilled about most things.

Thankyou.

Nathan-And-Hayke

Visit site
By the time they are 2 they already (in most cases) load and travel well, and stand for vet/ farrier.
At two we start bitting them, ground driving (using body language and vocal commands to move them away or around you, and change pace) and long lining. Once they are happy and obedient being long lined away from traffic, we take them out on quiet roads, with one person at their head to start off with, and once they are happy with that long lining properly.

BBH

Visit site
Thank you. Yes she's very good with all the routine / maintenance bits but am now wanting to start her ' work' education so to speak.

SuperHorse

Visit site
When you say 2 year old, do you mean technically 2 (as in one turning 2 this year) or 2 but turning 3 this year (so technically 3)? Mine will be 3 this year and hasn't really done anything up to now - he's handled a bit and will lead and stand for the farrier etc, but I'll just be starting bitting, long-reining etc this year and will either back him later this year or early next year.

Toast

Visit site
Other than get him out for a pat and a brush...and for the farrier or vet... i watch him eat lots and play and be a baby in the field.
He has however shown inhand, worn rugs and travelled, but that really is all and will be all until he turns three in july.
x

angrovestud

Visit site
They learn manners, do rugs, feet and we have shown one that went in to training but they are allowed to be babies then they all grown up and leave home

AnnaL

Visit site
My gelding is rising 3.

Last year as a 2 year old i didn't do anything "work" wise really. He has manners, and as all the others say, farrier, lead, load, etc. I did some in hand work when his manners went a bit down the pan after summer- a lot of stop start, trotting in hand etc. and backing up.

This year at 3, i intend to start long-lining and start his education in preparation to start properly under saddle next spring.

In my opinion some horses are ready to work at 2- and i always feel the horse will let you know if that's the case. I think that the majority, particularly the slow to mature breeds (which cobs tend to be) are not quite ready, mentally as well as physically.

Other than get him out for a pat and a brush...and for the farrier or vet... i watch him eat lots and play and be a baby in the field.
He has however shown inhand, worn rugs and travelled, but that really is all and will be all until he turns three in july.
x

Here here!

Last edited: