Can I clip my boys?

Alphamare

Visit site
Are there any reasons why I can't clip my natives? They are quite hot standing in the field they can't come in as the wooden stables are hotter! I can't ride them ATM as I feel they re struggling too much with the heat. I don't want to have to rug them and plan on doing a bib and belly on one and a tracer clip on the other. We don't show or anything so I don't care about the lines I was just wondering if there was any reason I can't clip? Like fly bites or sunburn? They both have dark skin and only plan on clipping the lower halves as above.

Amaranta

Visit site
I have been thinking the same thing about one of mine, can't bring them into the stables as they are hotter than outside and one of mine is actually sweating in the field.

I don't see any reason why not tbh

Hattikins

Visit site
I clip my eventer (I say eventer, he's a gypsy cob x gypsy trotter masquerading as an eventer!) all year round and in summer he has everything clipped off every 4-6 weeks. He is so much happier for it, doesn't sweat so much and dries off really quickly. :) It's only really an issue if you want to keep a beautiful summer coat, as clipping continuously can affect the new hair growth quality, but not in the long term.

Alphamare

Visit site
I have to clip early like sept anyway because they grow coats like yacks and can't cope with the temps in coming on for winter coats.

I think I'll do it. Only the clips as above so if the temp drops again they won't suffer. It's the clips the get in sept anyway.

ladyt25

Visit site
I've had to clip mine in the summer quite often and may have to again. Personally I wouldn't bother doing trace clips etc, just take it all off! Less hassle as no faffing with lines! :)