Can I do 'Couch to 5K' or similar with a shetland pony?

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
In December my parents bought another pony for my nieces to potter about on. He is undeniably cute (very small and spotty), safe for them to ride and a cheeky but nice character, however he was a terrible purchase. Our farrier recognised him at once and called him a "high maintenance pony", particularly as he is prone to laminitis. Despite me saying not to buy him and trying not to be involved... I am involved, since he is part of the family herd which includes my own horse and they live on the property.

Fast forward to now and pony is overweight and currently on box rest with laminitis... doh! Lesson learned. Obviously we have to get him sorted out first, but I am planning ahead as to how I can burn some calories and weight off him further down the line. My nieces are 5 and 8 and beginners, they want to sit on him once a month and walk and have a few laps trying to trot. He is too small for serious ridden work as no tiny, more experienced jockey available and we don't have a menage or good surface (or a walker).

I would have to start along the road for maybe 5 - 10 minutes and then could get him onto a bridleway, but I was wondering about the logistics of jogging with him basically! Putting him in a bridle and building it up slowly, couch to 5k style? What do we think? Maybe it's a terrible idea but I can't see that endless lunging in the field will do him much good in the long term, either mentally or physically. Someone said to train him to pull a trap but I don't have the knowledge, equipment or time for that and he is pretty dinky. The roads here are also fairly busy.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
A shetland friend up here puts a roller on her pony, attaches 2 sacks to it and goes out litter picking! They walk for a few miles 2 or 3 times a week on different routes and pick up whatever they find on the way!

It's so funny you suggest that! I litter pick around here and have been thinking about making the other pony into my 'litter pick pony'. I am just not sure I can burn enough calories off him this way as it's pretty slow-paced work around here when lots to pick up.

If you are on FB take a look at the group "Hiking with my pony".
As long as you feel safe taking him out (ref traffic and his manners etc) then go for it!

Thanks for the FB tip! He is fairly civilised to handle and helps that he is teeny too. He is also quite cheeky so I feel like some actual work might do him good!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My 2 smalls come out walking most days after I've ridden when I take P dog.
Either that or the fatter one has a cheap set of harness thrown on and we head out long reining. She also takes friends toddlers for short rides, despite never bring properly backed. I do lunge her too a couple of days a week if she gets too fat.

Mother used to have her driving pair out beside her on her yard bicycle, not for the faint hearted tho! ?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I used to take my shetland all over the place. We went all over town, turned up at nurseries and took her into the garden for cuddles with the kids. Took her on walks with my dog. She was basically an overgrown shaggy dog. She sometimes had one of the twins on top but mostly not.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
A shetland friend up here puts a roller on her pony, attaches 2 sacks to it and goes out litter picking! They walk for a few miles 2 or 3 times a week on different routes and pick up whatever they find on the way!
I read that as roller skates... twice ?
That’s a nice idea! (And safer than skating!)

op, I used to jog with one of my ponies. He led nicely but always at a bit of a jig jog so was the perfect candidate and it worked really well.

catkin

Visit site
I made a pair of panniers for our old Dartie and she carried the shopping home from the village shop. Only thing to beware with this is that they get an awful lot of attention from other shoppers ;)

Also knew someone who took their in-hand Welshie out running - doubled up as training for the showring as well as runs.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Our twins had shetlands, one white one black for boy girl twins. Very twee.

But this meant 2x laminitis. The kids were small 4-6 years and were just beginning to gain skills so really couldn’t put enough substantive work in. So hubby and I would take the ponies for a run when we did our jogging sessions Each day. Hubby would also take his one for a cycle as well. I could never manage pony and bike.

They were exercised for a solid 30-40mins each day and this managed their metabolic rate and prevented laminitis. Do it. You will get fit too.

we have repeated this process over the years with an EMS mare as well. It works. Incidentally it was help I received through the UK Laminitis org that got us into this proactive management of laminitis.

My Aussie vets were useless and wanted us to manage it by locking them up in a yard/stable which would have lowered the metabolic rate further and not allowing the body to process sugars and starches effectively.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Our twins had shetlands, one white one black for boy girl twins. Very twee.

But this meant 2x laminitis. The kids were small 4-6 years and were just beginning to gain skills so really couldn’t put enough substantive work in. So hubby and I would take the ponies for a run when we did our jogging sessions Each day. Hubby would also take his one for a cycle as well. I could never manage pony and bike.

They were exercised for a solid 30-40mins each day and this managed their metabolic rate and prevented laminitis. Do it. You will get fit too.

we have repeated this process over the years with an EMS mare as well. It works. Incidentally it was help I received through the UK Laminitis org that got us into this proactive management of laminitis.

My Aussie vets were useless and wanted us to manage it by locking them up in a yard/stable which would have lowered the metabolic rate further and not allowing the body to process sugars and starches effectively.

Thank you for this, really pleased to hear it worked out for you. Silly question but how did their feet hold up? What kind of surfaces have you run on? My only concern at this point is if I have to jog on hard surfaces with him sometimes. I guess their hooves are pretty tough as far as they go!

pansymouse

Visit site
When my old horse was retired due arthritis we used to regularly in-hand hack, he liked the change of scene and the exercise didn't do either of any harm. I used a bridle with a newmarket chain and lead rope on him. He was generally good but did try his luck on the al fresco dining front.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Thank you for this, really pleased to hear it worked out for you. Silly question but how did their feet hold up? What kind of surfaces have you run on? My only concern at this point is if I have to jog on hard surfaces with him sometimes. I guess their hooves are pretty tough as far as they go!
I prefer to run on hard surfaces so I used to run on road with pony running on verge. Little turd would stop suddenly to eat sometimes though so we needed some leading training upfront to keep pony at my shoulder. It was half verge for him and half on the road with me whilst we perfected our running together.

we have a grassed hill as well which is a gentle slope of about 750metres. We would run up the hill and walk back down, repeating 5 times. I would be puffing more than him!

Hooves held up really well, still requiring trimming every 6 weeks.

Leo Walker

Visit site
ooh, now I'm wondering if I can take Bobbie out hacking from a bike! My legs and back really limit my ability to walk, but cycling is much easier. Hmm, I'm not sure if I trust her not to knock me off just for the hell of it. She thinks shes a comedic genius and that sort of thing is right up her alley!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I think it's a brilliant idea!

I've got plans to take my mini out for walkies. Although she is a bit nervous of new things so I think we'll need to take it really slowly.

She'd been a broodmare all her life until I got her so she's lived a fairly sheltered life.

BOWS28

Visit site
I very regularly take my 16hh warm blood mare out on big dog walks. Great for her and even better for me! Burn more calories hauling myself up those hills than being a passenger!! She loves it and so do i :)

Fransurrey

Visit site
My Exmoor mare was my running partner until last year. She can't cope with the extra long distances though (or rather, won't!), so until I've done my marathon, she's enjoying the life of Riley.