Can I feed grass clippings to my horse?

Circe

Visit site
Hello,
Apologies if this is a stupid question.....
I am in Australia, in a very dry area, and we have now reached the point where there is next to no grass in my boys paddock. He is on bucket feeds and hay, but missing fresh grass.
My garden has some grass still, and I was wondering if I could cut some of my grass ( by hand ) and take it to my horse. It wouldn't be much, probably only a few mouthfuls, and would be fed about 30 mins after I cut it.
I know wisdom says not to feed grass cuttings, but is that just a large pile tipped out from the lawnmower?
I'd appreciate your opinions.
Kx

Carrottom

Visit site
The problem with putting cut grass in a bucket is that it will start to ferment very quickly especially in a hot climate. I wouldn't want to take the risk.

Circe

Visit site
thank you for the replies.
It will only be a small amount (thats all there is ), just a couple of mouthfuls probably. Handpicking seems to be better than cutting?
I just feel so sorry for him not having the chance to eat grass!
Kx

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Not sure how picking it rather than cutting it would make any difference?

I would allow a few mouthfuls. Not more than 1/4 of a bucket, as long as it was grass of a fair length as opposed to a grassy mush.

I would only give the odd mouthful of grassy mush. Maybe f it were sprinkled on something less appetising it would add interest.

bonny

Visit site
Not sure how picking it rather than cutting it would make any difference?

I would allow a few mouthfuls. Not more than 1/4 of a bucket, as long as it was grass of a fair length as opposed to a grassy mush.

I would only give the odd mouthful of grassy mush. Maybe f it were sprinkled on something less appetising it would add interest.
There is a big difference between lawn clippings which should never be fed and picked grass which I think is absolutely fine. I used to feed as much as I could pick, I can’t see how that could possibly do any harm .

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
There is a big difference between lawn clippings which should never be fed and picked grass which I think is absolutely fine. I used to feed as much as I could pick, I can’t see how that could possibly do any harm .

OP said she/he would cut by hand, not cut with a lawnmower. This is what I was talking about.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I wouldn't feed any grass clippings from a lawn mower. Grass that can be cut by hand is a different thing.

I've taken hand cut grass to my pony on occasion.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Clippings from a lawn cut with a mower could be detrimental for the horse. It may cause colic & there may be some kind of 'weed & feed' or fertiliser on the grass that you've cut. Pull grass from safe places for feeding by be careful.

tiahatti

Visit site
I wouldn't be comfortable giving grass from a lawn mower but can you pick a bucket of long grass to give them. I realise that wouldn't last them very long though.

Leandy

Visit site
The problem with grass clippings from a lawnmower is that in a heap they start to heat up and ferment very quickly, they are also very short and don't therefore require much chewing and just compact down in a fermenting mass in the stomach and are a colic risk. Handpicking an amount of grass and feeding pretty much straight away should be fine and is common practice.