Can i get out of this 'rent' now?

Scampi

Visit site
After reading your posts yest, i am really concerned that maybe this renting out business is not all plain and simple.

As you know, a lady phoned me up the other night, lost her grazing and colt is kept in her garden/shed at the mo but someone has told the council and they said she has to move it within 18 days.

Anyway, she came yesterday to look around with her husband, she got quite pushy and wanted to pay a months advanced rent yesterday to ensure i dont rent it to someone else. They gave me a months rent in cash.

Since then reading some of the posts on here re legal water tight agreements etc etc , i am really worried this is going to be a huge mistake.

Is there anyway i could make up an excuse like my horse is out on loan and they have phoned me to say they are not happy with her and want to bring her back therefore i cant offer you the field anymore as i need it for her and hand back over the cash they gave me?
confused.gif

I know i should have thought about water , agreements etc before we put the ad up and it is my mistake. I know it is wrong to lie to them and she will need to find something else but this could be a huge mistake
confused.gif
confused.gif

shadowboy

Visit site
The problem with lying is you can get caught out- my advice is ring them back saying you have a full rent agreement and wont bank the cash till it is signed- if they are not happy with it you will bring the cash back.

If you make up stories they may walk past field one day amnd see new pony in there/or notice your add still up in the shop. You never know it might all work out. For me I go with gut instinct- whats yours telling you?

Scampi

Visit site
Yes it is a good thing but we havent got any agreements, i have looked on the bhs website and cant find any.

I know it would be really wrong of me to back track but do you think i could?

Mithras

Visit site
Pretty sure in England, contracts relating to land have to be in writing to be enforceable. Just tell her you've changed your mind - its your land, you can do what you want with it. Though maybe she might be ok after all, what is putting you off her so much?

shadowboy

Visit site
Scampi I have a livery contract I wrote when I was a practicing solicitor- if you pm me your email address I will email it to you and you can modify as you wish however for liability purposes- as soon as you modify it- if anything goes wrong/doesnt hold out because of your changes im not responsible. But im happy for you to have a copy.

Skhosu

Visit site
I think you're being unfair, they've given you upfront the rent, give it a month and see, it would be unfair on her now you've taken the rent :S

251libby

Visit site
I would be fuming with you if that were me ......

Do you not want them to move because you dont actually have land for rent????

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Why do you not want to rent this land to this woman? You've let her come and see it, you've taken her deposit, maybe you've given her a move-on date.

If I were her, I'd go looking for someone I could trust
frown.gif

D

Donkeymad

QR

Sorry, but I think some of you are being a bit hash on Scampi here. She posted last night for opinions, the majority of which advised against renting to this particular person, but the person was already coming to view.
Where Scampi, you have fallen down is in taking the deposit, regardless of how pushy she got.
Get a contract drawn up, signed and witnessed before letting her move on, then, should you experience problems, your contract should enable you to mover her on. She has paid a deposit up front with no problems, which is a good start, and I think now you should give her a chance.