Can I get some feed recommendations please

RubysGold

Visit site
I have two horses. Both prone to being overweight. One has cushings and suffered laminitis badly a few years ago
I need to feed them so that Roo can have her prascend and also they both have think fly supplement because my boy is sensitive to flies.

my mare doesnt seem to like her feed at the moment. She’ll eat it if I leave it in all night but thinking Ill try something she might prefer. Shes on healthy hooves molasses free chop now.
So any suggestions for a laminitic safe, low calorie feed that horses like?

Dexter

Visit site
I feed emerald green grass nuts and sugar beet at a ratio of 1:3 Makes it tasty enough to eat, and fluffy enough to hide a nasty tasting supplement

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
we also use the wiesencobs since we didn't have enough teeth to deal with the aspero but the cobs do seem to be preferred too. Have also used the emerald green meadow magic successfully
Pink mash also one that some particularly like and safe.
speedibeet/fast fibre never much loved here but def preferred by some.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I second grass nuts because just 100g blows up into a decent sixe feed when soaked. But you can't beat Saracen Re-leve for hiding nasty stuff. Again 100g blows up.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I'm currently using TopSpec High Fibre Mash because its about all I can get (thanks Brexit). I'm soaking it about 6:1 rather than 2:1 and just leaving it longer, only a tiny bit each with some Top Chop Zero mixed in. So far seems to be working well and they both think its the yummiest thing ever. Its probably got everything you don't want in it, but with the amount I'm feeding hopefully won't do too much harm and they will eat anything in it.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Mine can get overweight so they have 1 feed of spillers speedy mash literally a few handfuls and a few handfuls of grass chaff just to put the supplements in, the mash smells like Apple when wet thet both eat it all happily.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Agree that Saracen Releve is very tasty. My fatty gets pink mash but he’s still not massively keen on supplements in it. He’ll leave some behind but then spend ages cleaning my oldies feed bowl out in which he’s had the Releve. It does have molasses in which I guess is why it’s so appealing.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Mine can get overweight so they have 1 feed of spillers speedy mash literally a few handfuls and a few handfuls of grass chaff just to put the supplements in, the mash smells like Apple when wet thet both eat it all happily.

Spillers Senior Mash is a real hit here too - I don’t feed it day to day as ours don’t generally get hard feed, but my mare had a tooth removed early this year and loved the mash during her recovery. It’s great for hiding things in!

Cowpony

Visit site
Thunderbrooks meadow nuts are great for absorbing lots of supplements. I mix mine with Thunderbrooks muesli to add a bit of texture, but you can just feed it on its own. My mare loves it!

Rachael42

Visit site
In the winter I love fast Fibre for my two laminitis prone. Seems to fill their stomachs but not put weight on them. Also tasty even my fussy Shetland loves it. Pink mash was good for my boys initially but they stopped eating it don’t think they liked the taste of it.
In the summer I feed Hifi molasses free(to slow him down) and baileys low calorie performance balancer. My boy lacks energy when in full work and out jumping. This gives him a little boost but without the calories.

zandp

Visit site
My oldie has PPID - I feed hay cobs or nuts and a handful of muesli - either Agrobs or Thunderbrooks, both safe for PPID feeding.

PurBee

Visit site
I use beetpulp as its neutral tasting, high in fibre, very low sugar, soggy - so great for soaking up and hiding supps/powders in it - and it stores a long time, especially the pellets, and is cheap as chips!

As an aside, The Think fly supp youre giving - does it contain garlic? They dont specify ingredients and just put ‘herbs and spices’.
Many fly supps contain garlic, which can disrupt bowel bacteria balance if fed daily, long term, as its like ‘natures antibiotic’ and kills ‘bad’ bacteria, but also kills good bacteria, so although garlic is available to buy in kg’s for horses everywhere, it has the potential to be a bowel bacteria disrupter fed longterm.
As the foundation of health with mammals is firstly the gut: it being balanced and healthy, i’d be wary of feeding garlic longterm. Great to use if there is a bowel infection though, short-term.