Can I hear your positive stories about getting a first horse later in life?

TheShark

Visit site
I just want to hear your stories about getting a first horse later in life. I'd planned to get one last year as I was finally earning enough to do it properly.

Then, I was made redundant and I still don't have a permanent job (temping). I'm desperate to buy but won't take the plunge until I know I can afford the support I need lesson-wise and on the ground.

So, can I hear your nice stories about getting sorted in life and achieving your horsey ambitions?

9tails

Visit site
Hi, I was 38, had been contracting for a few years but had a couple of K in a savings account. I went and bought a lovely horse (not with the couple K savings), 7 months later I was on the dole for 4 months but used my savings to keep her and me going. I'm now in a permanent position. I'm single, have a mortgage, a few cats and a gas guzzling car. Wouldn't change a thing!

jsr

Visit site
As a kid I had a horse, she was an insane arab cross that I was given by a farmer...there was a reason such a stunning horse was being given away she was nuts!! Anyway I wasn't a pony club girl, I was happier hacking and playing in fields so stopped riding at 16 to leave home. Took it up again at 30 when a friend suggested a riding lesson 'just for a laugh'..well that lesson turned into 4 years of going to the riding school twice a week and resulted in me loaning a horse from them and taking out hacks at the weekend in return for my beautiful loan horse. Sadly they had to sell him and at the time I couldn't afford to buy him and at the same time I was moving to a farm with 20 acres in North Wales! A few days after the move my mum gave me a card and it had a picture of a rocking horse on it, inside it said I know you always wanted a rocking horse, so we are going to buy you one now...but a living breathing one. I was 36 and never thought I'd be able to have a horse all of my own!!! So long story short I got Kane, he was 3 years old (sold as 5!!!) and very very green, he was blind in his left eye, terrified of men, difficult to catch, impossible to shoe and generally not a good first horse!!! But 7 years on and I have the most amazingly wonderful cob ever!! He's fun, very forward going and always keeps me guessing!!

Sadly I had to move out of the farm but even now on a limited wage it's never a hardship finding the money for him. He's happy at the livery and we enjoy doing lots of fun things.

Do it when you can, it's hard to manage on a budget but I'll never let him go and he's given me back so much in the years I've had him.

lara b

Visit site
Hi
Not in relation to this post, but thought of you the other day as there was a post from a lady with a cob share (I think) in Bedford area? Depending on where about she is could maybe be of interest? :)

SplashofSoy

Visit site
I was 26 when i got my first horse but that is nothing compared to one of the ladies on our yard who started riding at 56 to keep her husband company. He lost interest and she is now 65 and bought her first horse last year! :D They hack and do dressage and the occaisional jumping lesson.

In my case didnt start riding till 21 and got the bug but had to wait till finacially sound, proper job, own home etc. Its great because within reason i can afford to do most everything i want with him competing wise although am saving to purchase own transport as at present having to get lifts.

Pebbles

Visit site
One life, live it! Do it while you can, you obviously have thought things through well and are prepared and aware it can be a challenge but as the others have all said, we all go the extra mile to cover the costs because it is sooo worth it! Just make sure to build the cost of insurance for vets bills into your budget would be my advice. Good luck and keep us posted?

TheShark

Visit site
Thanks Lara. I'll have a search for that post.

Nice to hear some good stories! I would love to just go out and do it but I want to be sure I can do it properly and have enough £ to care for the horses needs , and also pay for any extra support as and when needed so I have a polite, well mannered horse that knows it can't take the mick. I read so many horror stories in here that I know I will need the £ set aside fir when inevitable problems arise!

Keep 'em coming. It all very inspiring. :)

Pebbles

Visit site
Totally get where you're coming from having returned to owning after a 10 year gap. It is a huge life changing decision but sometimes you have to follow your heart or you might leave it too late. Of course only you know your finances and the cost of keeping a horse is huge but its about priorities and in honesty if we sat down to work out if we could afford to have children we would run scared and not have them, but we do and we manage. However you are right to not rush in head long, good luck with your thought processes!!

bfox

New User
Visit site
go for it girl
I had a pony at aged 12 as my uncle had a riding stables and I worked there for free livery, otherwise we would never have been able to afford a horse.
They were some of the best days of my life. I sold my horse at 16 and did all the usual teenager things, then got married, had a family, and 20 years later was asked to ride at a freind of a friends who was setting up a riding holiday centre.
I rode a horse who was on loan/tria, there called Danny, he was great, but not a big weight carrier so it was a case of she would have to send him back. She suggested he would be great for me, I was doing a degree at the time as well as working and said, I couldn't possibly think about it at that time.
I went home that night, discussed it with my husband, who said, 'go for it' these opportunities don't come by often. It was perfect a try before you buy with no intention of buying.
Needless to say, I took the plunge, had limited time for the first year with him, had him in livery, then moved to a rented farm and living my dream. Looking out of the house at not 1 but 3 horses in the paddock. Life definately began at 40 for me.!

suestowford

Visit site
I never had a pony as a kid. I had to wait until I was in my 30s to get my first horse, but it was worth the wait.
I bought an older horse as my first, we had six lovely years together and he taught me a lot. I do have a very knowledgeable neighbour who I could call on for help if I needed it and this was a godsend as I kept him at home and can see I might have got into all sorts of trouble if I'd tried to go it alone.

rubysmum

Visit site
i did the usual thing of riding as a child - ditched it as a teen & pretty much forgot about horses for decades - had my own daughter @ 37 & when she was 4 ish took her for riding lessons & within 6 months was loaning a horse for me & had bought her a shetland - was in well paid consultancy work at the time - so was able to buy Ruby horse & have a variety of subsequent ponies & 2 horses on livery - am now actually poor [ huge change in personal circumtances] - so have kept the big mare - but now on DIY & daughter is now a teen & totally dis-interested in all things horsey - i do a bit of beginner teaching & basic yard drudgery to help off set horse costs & have managed to keep riding & some low level competing - bit of dressage & showing.
I am very aware that as a single parent that my daughter will soon be off to uni & a whole new life & i really feel that horsiness will be able to fill that gap nicely
enjoy - you are a long time dead:)

Faithkat

Visit site
I was 45 when I got my first one (wanted one since I was 6) and exactly two months later my husband walked out on me leaving me with absolutely no income whatsoever (I was a housewife) so I had to go on the dole while I looked for a job. I thought I would have to sell the much-longed for Arab but the lady who ran the livery let me keep him there for nothing until I sorted myself out (God bless her). That was 17 years ago and financially things have been VERY sticky most of the time since but I have just about managed to keep going with various horses and ponies but we don't have any flashy facilities and they are broken and schooled in the field!

c2b

Visit site
I was 47 before I even sat on a horse. At 48 I bought my own. We have been together 6 years and I am (hope my mare is too) having the time of my life.
I ride most days. Sometimes alone, sometimes in company. Long rides or short. Fine weather or foul. We are hardcore hackers lol.

SplashofSoy

Visit site
Life is too short but my advice would be to wait until you are financially sound and can afford it properly. Horses are expensive to keep and there is always that unexpected bill to find money for. The other point is that you are also never too old. The oldest livery where i am is 87 and she still rides her NF out hacking!

TheShark

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm only 29 so a bit younger than some of you. Just feel I've been waiting forever to be in a position to get one.

SplashofSoy - I completely agree with you.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. And if anyone knows of any shares going on in MK, let me know. :)

YouOnlyLiveOnce

Visit site
I have ridden since I was 3 and am now 28. I always rode at riding schools or friends horses as I was growing up, and had always desperately wanted my own as far back as I can remember. Unfortunately my parents were not horsey at all and I never got my horse - until last May when I finally got the chance of a lifetime. I had still not been able to afford my own when I started work and was sharing / loaning horses in those years. Circumstances changed with the horse I was loaning last year and I had the chance to buy him for £1 (he was 21 at the time hence the price!) I jumped at the chance, I knew I'd find the money for livery, farrier, vets bills etc, and one year on I have managed it perfectly, and I have a horse of my own to love finally :D i hope we have many happy more years together, he is now 22 and showing no signs of his age!
I will always say to people never give up, I had got to the point where I truly believed it could never happen for me, but things can turn around in one day and your situation can change. Good luck, I hope you are in the position soon to go out and find your horse that will be waiting for you :)

leflynn

Visit site
I started riding as a tiny tot and gave up after my 1st year at uni. I never had a pony at that point, occasionally got the naughty riding school ponies as my projects but always had to give them back. My dad refused to buy me a pony or horse :(

A colleague fancied horse riding so 3 of us went for 2 private lessons with me at the tender age of 32 :p LOVED IT :D Waited another month and bought a hat and jods and went to another friends riding school and started regular lessons, was also a great release as I was going through seperating with my ex and I also found a great bunch of people too :D The following april (last year) my RI/YM suggested I take a horse on part loan at the yard (also livery yard) and I got Gulliver who was a big 16.3 cob tb cross and only 5 yo, but a real sweetie, we hacked out and started schooling. Gullie got a little frisky and I took 2 very nasty falls but got back on (with broken ribs) I also met a lovely lady who part loaned the other half of Gullie. We took the hard decision to give him back after almost buying him a few months later.

I knew I was selling my old house I had with my ex so would be able to buy my first pony :D So on the day the sale went through I had a vetting on a lovely horse I'd tried twice, he sadly failed. My YM and I went to dealer in York to look at nice horse, which to cut a ramble short we didn't buy and we ended up buying my 2 gorgeous boys :D Mine is now 5 (TB ex racer) and a dinky 15.2, the other is part loaned back to my YO and former part sharer and is 9yo (TB ex racer), both dark bay lol :D

Love them to bits, love the people on our yard (16 people and 23 horses moved yards together recently after our old yard got sold, new yard same people and same YM ;)) It is the best thing I have ever done, yes I could have bought cars, holidays and stuff, but would never have had the joy I do :D :D Buying your first pony at 34 is just as exciting and just as awesome I think :D

caramac

Visit site
I was 45 when I got my first horse. I had ridden as a child and then on and off throughout my adult life. I had never lost my love for them and always hoped I would get one one day. Anyway Cossack didn't turn out to be the ideal first horse and badly knocked my confidence so about 14 months ago I got another one. Cassie is a traditional cob and we have had our ups and downs but I would say that in the last month we have really started to click and bond and trust each other. This morning I went out for a hack with my riding instructor and a couple of times felt just as great as I used to feel as a fearless 12 year old! I am at a great yard with loads of help and really nice people and a very patient riding instructor. And as for Cossack - well I still have him, he is at the same yard and my friend has him on loan and he leads her a merry dance now instead. So I have gone from having no horses to two horses and I also did an NVQ level 2 in horse care last year as well which I found out this week I have passed. So you are never too old to live your dream

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
used to ride as a child but was never able to have my own pony. Stopped riding for years but the love of horses never went. I started riding again in my early 20's but 1 lesson a week was never enough....My boyfriend bought me my 1st horse Irish sport horse when I was 24 as a gift. We unfortunatly lost her a year later...he then bought me my beautiful belgian warmblood last year and I am reliving my childhood at 26 :D

go for it. You will NEVER regret it ;)

Spotsrock

Visit site
I have ridden since I was 3 and am now 28. I always rode at riding schools or friends horses as I was growing up, and had always desperately wanted my own as far back as I can remember. Unfortunately my parents were not horsey at all and I never got my horse - until last May when I finally got the chance of a lifetime. I had still not been able to afford my own when I started work and was sharing / loaning horses in those years. Circumstances changed with the horse I was loaning last year and I had the chance to buy him for £1 (he was 21 at the time hence the price!) I jumped at the chance, I knew I'd find the money for livery, farrier, vets bills etc, and one year on I have managed it perfectly, and I have a horse of my own to love finally :D i hope we have many happy more years together, he is now 22 and showing no signs of his age!
I will always say to people never give up, I had got to the point where I truly believed it could never happen for me, but things can turn around in one day and your situation can change. Good luck, I hope you are in the position soon to go out and find your horse that will be waiting for you :)

My old dear retired finally this spring aged 31. She slowed down about 4 years ago and has only hacked out for the past 18 months but you should have time left to enjoy your boy yet.

MochaDun

Visit site
Was 41 when I got mine, had never owned my own horse before but had had riding lessons from age 8-15, done a bit of Pony Club, and ridden friends' horses. I'd gone back to having weekly riding lessons at age 39 and started wondering why on earth I had ever given up being around horses. Buying my own was one of the best things I ever did. Nerve racking though the buying process was I just took my time and got good advice and thought very clearly about what type of horse I needed and was practical for my lifestyle and what I could afford (v important point). I got an 8 year old native cob x. Had regular lessons from the time I had him and was on a yard where there were people with lots of experience between them as owning is very different from riding others horses. He's my hobby, my keep fit, my little joker each day who keeps the smile on my face.

ApacheWarrior

Visit site
Go for it...... Im 50 and just got my first horse. Yes its hard. There's been tears and tantrums (yes even at my age!!), and yes I've had to sell whatever I could get my hands on in order to get by in the first few months in order to keep afloat (dont underestimate the costs at this time - vetting, vaccinations, saddler, tooth man, farrier, back man, rugs, new essential kit for me, body protector (extorionate cost!) etc - but I am newly single, kids left home and if it wasn't for my boy I would never get out the house. As it is, I enjoy finishing work and spending time there amongst all the activity that goes with it. Yes I worry about losing my job or getting injured as to how I would cope in either circumstance on my own, but as most of the posts say, life is indeed too short, and its a fabulous feeling to realise your dream at last. Good luck.

YouOnlyLiveOnce

Visit site
My old dear retired finally this spring aged 31. She slowed down about 4 years ago and has only hacked out for the past 18 months but you should have time left to enjoy your boy yet.

thanks spotsrock, make me happy to hear stories like that! i still do everything i want on him and no signs of him slowing down, lets hope he makes it to the grand old age of 31 before he has to retire!! :D

JackyN

New User
Visit site
How nice 2 read about people older than me still riding (50 nxt yr). Rode a a kid when I could had a horse for a while in oz but found no time here in the uk, but 10 years have passed & now want 2 get back into owning a horse.
Had a lesson Friday & low & behold the mare was 4 sale, sounds perfect for me, so will b hoping 2 try her out a bit more b4 I plunge in. Life goes so quick as u get older & want 2 finish living out my life with my childhood dream of owning, showing and just generally hanging out with my horse.
So those around my age or a bit younger keep those dreams alive & they will come true.. Mine certainly seems to be happening.:)

MilosDad

Visit site
We got a horse for my daughter when I was 51. I taught myself to ride on him. I bought my first horse when I was 52, started having lessons and now, at 54, am making the transition to eventing.

soulfull

Visit site
I was kind of thrown in at the deep end (riding wise) when my 15 year old daughter was tragically killed, leaving behind her welsh cob who in her own words mean't 'EVERYTHING TO HER' I had always helped on the ground but only sat on him once on the lead rein.

He was always a nervous and stubborn type and add the fact he was devastated when she died would not let anyone else but me handle him or especially get on him. So I learn't to ride on him. Luckily I had taught him to lunge so I could use my voice very well with him.

2 years later he went lame. Everything that could be done was done. But he kept going lame so I turned him away. He really really hated it, was miserable as sin. Eventually and I mean eventually I found a tiny lady to loan him that could not only ride him without him going lame but also handle his tantrums. She also had a young daughter who leant to ride on him. In the end I sold him to her. (it was heart breaking for me, but it was best for him)

Meanwhile I got my own horse (I was hooked) had him 8yrs and did everything with him we won a lot local showing, SJ, a bit of DR, hunting, trec, funrides. I retired him 2 years ago due to injury

I now have a 7yr WB wow what a horse he is too, perfect for me.

I am now 46 and been riding 11yrs. I have RA and recently had a 3rd lot of surgery on my ankle. I know have a replacement joint which I have just had put right and am keeping everything crossed it will hold up

Last edited:

Flummoxed

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies, but I can tell you my own experience. I would have loved a pony as a child, but my parents just did not have the funds. I stopped riding as a teen and took it up again purely by chance in my 40s. My husband encouraged my hobby and I started to consider the possibility of buying a horse of my own after a few years at a riding school. I think the thing that scared me most was the responsibility of dealing with injury or sickness.

Eventually, I did all the maths and decided that I could afford to buy and keep one. With my husband's full support, I found livery and then started the search for my horse. I admit that I knew nothing about horse management and have just learned as I go, but after 6 years, the horse is not only still alive, but extremely well!

My only regret is that I couldn’t have done it sooner when I had the riding confidence but I get so many hours of pleasure from my horse and I wouldn’t swap him for the world!

JackyN

New User
Visit site
I too am worried about injury as it's hurts now when you fall off, hopefully I'll get a sane sensible girl looking at one one but a bit pricy but maybe safety is costly. Fingers crossed I can negotiate a good price and then I can live my dream and we can both grow old together. ( btw my dreams not to grow old...)

Daisy2

Visit site
Yep I bought two horses at the age of 42, now 49 and still have the same wonderful horses, they have taken over my life and I love every minute, kids at uni etc so no guilt feelings of not spending time with them, hubby joins in and rides too so do the kids when they come home. They have been on grass livery ever since we bought them, cheap as chips so no big shakes if we run into money troubles ....and we do. Good luck and have fun!