Can I pick your brains on insurers please?

hnmisty

Visit site
Subject to the vetting on Thurs, I have a new horse! :D

So I'm now looking at insurance. But I don't know who is good and who isn't. My last two ponies were only covered by Pony Club/BHS insurance.

I've got some quotes from PetPlan (by far the most expensive, but are they the best?), E&L (cheapest), KBIS and SEIB. I was going to ring NFU for a quote.

Is there an insurer you've had particularly good or bad experience with? Or is it a case of who offers the level of cover you want for the cheapest?

Don't want to end up insured with someone who does their best to get out of paying up!

Thanks in advance :)

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I can recommend both NFU and Petplan as have been insured and claimed with both. I like the flexibility with Petplan that you can choose a higher excess to keep your premiums down - as I am insuring several that is important to me.

There is just one company notorious for not paying out - you have named them :( Let us say - you get what you pay for.

Silmarillion

Visit site
I've always had mine with Equine Insurance Solutions. I've claimed a few times over the years, from lameness investigation to colic surgery and death. They've always been fab, and cheaper than NFU. There's one on your list I wouldn't touch with a bargepole - Google them before you choose. Cheapest isn't always best.

Sparkly Snowdrop

Visit site
Congratulations, fingers crossed for the vetting.

I changed to KBIS as NFU put my premium up so steeply last year, however my trailer is with SEIB. Both seem to have satisfied customers and are reasonable. Pet Plan I have no experience of but know people that have had problems getting claims settled. Barge and pole for the other one! (Google is your friend!)

Tarbs

Visit site
KBIS paid out for an operation 3 months after taking out insurance in full & with no problems. Have heard lots of bad reports about E&L and found Petplan expensive.

Good luck,hope the vetting goes well!

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Amtrust... I've just had a new horse vetted and bought for my son. She trotted up one tenth lame in vetting in one leg, but she had no shoes on and they took vets word that it was probably due to being unshod and trotted up on uneven ground( seller didn't have ideal place for vetting)
They have not excluded anything.

magichorse

Visit site
KBIS all the way! They have been great with me, have had two pretty big pay outs with no problems at all and they certainly weren't the most expensive.

indie999

Visit site
Not e&l!!!!

Yes I was told this too!

I have used NFU and if you get a high quote tell them what other quotes you have had. They paid out brill on time etc smooth.

I used Petplan for a dog and again they were great but yes v expensive nowadays but who isnt.

fankino04

Visit site
Can really vouch for kbis alwats been great, please avoid e&l although very cheap they are truly awful, a friend who worked at the billing department in a big equine hispital said that they practically never had any simple claims if they were with e&l and it was a nightmare for all concerned.

hnmisty

Visit site
Thanks for the input :)

I'm glad some of you came out and named the one to avoid...I'm not very good at detective work! I did wonder that about them- if I remember correctly they didn't even ask many questions, which you'd think they would...

Thanks for the good luck vibes- really need them after the last horse I had vetted (last month) failed, and I like this one even more! ARGH!

If he passes, I'm buying horse tat to celebrate :D

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I've always insured with Petplan and never had a problem - they have paid out a LOT of money for my TB in the past 3 years. I had much higher quotes from NFU!

hnmisty

Visit site
I filled out the H&H comparison form today and got a call from a broker offering me a quote for AmTrust (got to say, I'd never heard of them before this thread).

The chap I spoke to said there are some companies they don't deal with because they're not good at paying out. I mentioned E&L and he said, yes, that's one of them. Thanks for the heads up on them!

ETS: now he only needs to pass the bloody vetting!