can i put shavings on top of pellets?! or pellets local to me?

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
hey all, just a quicky before i whizz out...

i've run out of pellets. i decided to try a new (more local, cheaper) supplier, and thought i'd be able to get some from him between xmas and new year. but he was off. i've just tracked him down and he has run out. won't have any for a few days.

so... does anyone know anywhere that sells pellets by the bag local to me (long sutton) or if i can just whizz to lincs forage and grab a couple of bedmaxs to see me over until the pellet man has some in stock?

can i put bedmax on top of pellets? mix it in? will i have to completely replace the bed when i get the pellets? or will it not matter having some shavings in there?

anyone know?

thank you! x

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
I don't know but I have plenty if you wanted to borrow some. They are LWP in 10kg bags.
smile.gif

Visit site
Hi,
I put a bag of pellets down in the wet patches of my bed & put shavings over the tops of them. I take the pooh out daily & scrape the dry shavings up to expose the now wet pellets once every 2 weeks (brill saving me a fortune) replace with another bag of dry pellets & cover with the still clean shavings.

I have not opened a fresh bag of shavings for nearly a month now & use 1 or 2 bags of pellets every 2 weeks. I would put up pics of my shiny fluffy bed but I am at work and trying to look busy
blush.gif
this works well for me & thankfully my mare is not overly messy. The only thing I find after a few months of this is the shavings start to breakdown & get dusty as they are not getting wet.... so thats when I replace with new bag of shavings on top.

PS we have not had any snow apart from a bit before xmas but that went by 3pm!!
grin.gif
therefore ponios are allowed out & still being ridden..... however snow forcast tonight...!!
laugh.gif
so excited.... not built a snowman for years!!!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
apparently we're due 6inches tonight...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh that's what my husband said

*fnarr fnarr*

dwi

Visit site
Yes, it works really well if you put shavings on top of pellets. The pellets soak up all the wee and you still get a nice clean bed.

Bugly

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I put shavings over pellets every winter, it works out more economically for me than just Pellets or Shavings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto: I find a pellet beds works so much better with half a bag of shavings on the top every fortnight......and you can covert the whole bed to shavings if you need to.

Don't panic!

dorani

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
apparently (according to my dad) we're due 6inches tonight... hence i'm joining the queue of panic buyers. stocking up on life's essentials... milk, bread, beans and horse bedding...
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OHhhhhh! speak for yourself!
laugh.gif
grin.gif

scally

Visit site
Lincs Forage now do there own shavings which are fantastic, I only have 3 bags of pellets left or you could have some, he is due to me Friday, so I have just put shavings on top and is working very well.