Can I ride a 12.2hh

katymay

Visit site
As the title says! Ive got a 12.2hh pony for my boys who ride as often as they can, but on days when they cant I wondered whether it would be safe for me to take him out on a quick hack?
im 5ft4inches, size 10-12 but weigh about 10st 6lbs,
I know Im way too big height wise but wondered if he would manage my weight, he is a Dartmoor,
thanks

kaluki

Visit site
I know welsh cobs and new forest can take a stone a hand, ( this is what i have been told by breeders) Ans the the exmoor can take a light adult, and they are about 12/13hh mark, so i cant see the dartmoor being any differant, have you looked at the dartmoor pony website that should tell you.
Personlaly i cant see a problem.:)

L&M

Visit site
Depends on his bone and fitness I would say.

If he is a pure dartmoor he should be able to take you certainly on a gentle hack, and have also heard of 'a stone for every hand' for a true native.

My son's pony is 13.2hh and a part bred welsh, and takes me fine and I have the same stats as you - having said that I wouldn't take him on fun rides or out hunting as think I would be too much for him.

dreamcometrue

Visit site
I know welsh cobs and new forest can take a stone a hand, ( this is what i have been told by breeders) Ans the the exmoor can take a light adult, and they are about 12/13hh mark, so i cant see the dartmoor being any differant, have you looked at the dartmoor pony website that should tell you.
Personlaly i cant see a problem.:)

:O A stone per hand? No way.

fruity

Visit site
I've also got this dilemma. I have a 12.2 dartmoor who is 4 in july,i've tacked him up and long reined and leant over him but am worried i'm too heavy to properly ride him/hack him regularly? I've put a bit of weight on (hoping to lose some) am currently a size 10 prob now 9 and a bit stonne,also 5ft 4. Normally i'm 8-8.5 stone and then i wouldn't be as worried. Will be interested to see replies to OP's question.

BorgRae

Visit site
I was always told that a horse can generally
carry 1/6th of their body weight (obviously considering condition, fitness and age etc).

L&M

Visit site
Yes but native ponies can carry more weight for their height than non-native horses....

There is a lady on the hunting forum that hunts a 12.2hh exmoor, and it seems absolutely fine.

scarymare

Visit site
No, I don't think so. I think 10 stone 6 is a bit heavy tbh but I suppose it depends on his bone and also what you would be doing. Once you factor in clothes and tack you're looking at about 12 stone which I think is too much for a 12.2.

Littlelegs

Visit site
How much weight they can carry depends on fitness, what they're used to, muscle etc.10 stone 6, plus riding clothes, hat, saddle etc soon gets closer to 12 stone. Plus the fact the saddle is likely to be too small & cause pressure points. I'm 9stone minus hat & saddle, & I'd still only ride a 12.2 dartmoor if it was fit & muscular.
If it were me, I'd rather ride & lead, longline & lunge it, especially if its only used to carrying kids.

Lintel

Visit site
I'd reckon you know yourself- if it's a chunky little beast and reasonably fit I'd go for it. I think the pony-o would like you know if you were to heavy?
My fella is a 14.1hh Highland- not the heaviest highland, but not a lightweight by any manner! I used to be a lot lighter 7st(ish). When a lady rider- who was 13st got on him you'd swear he thought a ton of bricks had hit him. -purely because he was not used to it.
(And he is a wimp!)

Maybe graduate weight up? With sang bags of something? Unsure... :p