Can i show my 14.1hh black cob?

Sarahmiskella

New User
Visit site
My cob mare is 8yrs old, is 14.1hh, black, and 4 white socks. Would she be suitable for any showing classes? If so which class/classes?
Any answers much appreciated😊.

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
That’s my sort of cob :)

You can do things like Best Condition and fun classes like Best Tail, Hansome Gelding and if you leave him I clipped there’s Heavys and Hairies usually and Potential Driving horse. Some shows have a Cob or Cob Type class or Riding Club Horse/Pony.

Crackerz

Visit site
Looks more of an inbetweeny to me, not quite a cob as not much bone, but also not quite a sporty type. I quite like!

I think i prefer no feathers, but she isn't heavy enough to hog so i'd probably thin & plait the main and pull the tail. You can whizz round WHP classes, pony club pony, family pony, even Hunter pony at local level if plaited, all sorts :)

SallyBatty

Visit site
She looks a similar build to my 15.2 mare (although mine doesn't have so much feather as your second picture) - not stocky enough to do proper cob classes but too heavy for the ridden horse/pony classes. However, if you are just talking about local shows then you can have fun doing novice or senior rider, family pony, riding club or pony club horse or pony (usually involves a jump), and also working hunter pony if you jump. Then you can also do tack and turnout classes. I tend to plait for any local fun shows that I do.

Sarahmiskella

New User
Visit site
She looks a similar build to my 15.2 mare (although mine doesn't have so much feather as your second picture) - not stocky enough to do proper cob classes but too heavy for the ridden horse/pony classes. However, if you are just talking about local shows then you can have fun doing novice or senior rider, family pony, riding club or pony club horse or pony (usually involves a jump), and also working hunter pony if you jump. Then you can also do tack and turnout classes. I tend to plait for any local fun shows that I do.

Working hunter pony sounds like it would suit us. She has a great little jump! Thank you