Can I start Pony club?

Domino8212

Visit site
Hi, just some questions on pony club. I'm 14 years old and I would really like to start pony club but I'm not sure if I'm too old? Will everyone else have been doing it since they were 5? Also my horse is still in training (even though he's 14 yrs!) and cannot canter corners in a school or canter more than 2 jumps although he can trot a 1m course no problem! I have lessons with him and he's improving but will I be at a big disadvantage? He is really really good at racing and mounted games though despite being a 14.2 cob 😂 thanks in advance x

Shazzababs

Visit site
Yes go for it, I didn't join until I was your age (you are too old for Mounted Games though I believe, unless they have upped the age limit in the last few years).

They were very welcoming and I had l!

Ridingondreams

Visit site
You could definitely join! I didn't join Pony Club until I was 15, and I still really, really enjoyed it :D It might also be helpful for your horse because you'll probably do quite a variety of activities. As a previous poster said, Pony Club is more about learning and good horsemanship than just rosettes (although they're nice too), so if you're willing to make the effort to learn, then it's perfect for you :)

If you go to www.pcuk.org and click on the "I want to take part" button, it will help you find your nearest branch.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I joined pony club at 14 stayed for 2yrs and had loads of fun. I remember going to group lessons both mounted and unmounted which were very informative. I used whichever horse I had at the time regardless of what its faults were. If a lesson contained something I couldn't do due to having an unsuitable horse I just spoke to the instructor and missed that part out. I went to local shows for showing, dressage, show jumping, hunter trials and a one day event. Some of the shows were run by the pony club, with discounted entry fees for members. I didn't have suitable horses for camp, competition teams, or mock hunts and I was a shy child so I didn't attend the purely social events, I still enjoyed being part of the pony club though.

ETA I took some of the exams too. I remember D, D+ and Riding and Road Safety tests didn't require a fabulous horse any old crock would do.

Last edited:

Clannad48

Visit site
My daughter started Pony Club aged 14 on a loan pony who was over 20yrs old. She has recently rejoined at the age of 22. Never to young, and it only stops at 25yrs old. Go for it, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Shay

Visit site
Absolutely join! Different branches have different approaches and focus so if you are in an area which has access to more than one branch just ask around to see what each branch might be like. But absolutely join. You get out of it what you put in - like so many things - and it is a great opportunity. There are a number of people on here closely involved with their local PC branches - as I am with mine - so someone will be able to help with any queries you have.

Plus if you join now you get the rest of this year for free!

Sam_J

Visit site
Yes, you can definitely join Pony Club! I echo what Shay says - there will probably be more than one branch to choose from so ask around to see which one will suit you best.